Male Sub Adult P. Regius Suddenly Dead

desmith0927

Arachnopeon
I woke up today and turned on the lights/heating for all of my various reptiles and jumping spiders. One of my males is a sub adult Phidippus Regius. Big boy, loves to come out and explore, eats well, all of that. I noticed right away that he was on the floor of his enclosure on a little log just sitting there. Then I realized he was not moving at all. He isn’t in the “death curl” position but he is definitely gone. All of my other spiders are fine. As for him, he has been fine. Eating well and everything.

The only thing I could possibly think Is that I just got a really horrendous injury to my leg while hiking. I haven’t been able to clean out the cricket “habitat” as much. Could maybe the fact that a cricket he ate sat with other dead crickets for more than the usual day have anything to do with it? I just have no idea. He was just out of his enclosure yesterday walking around and he ate the day before. I’m really clueless as to what could have happened. Thanks for any suggestions!

desmith0927

Arachnopeon
So sad! Can I see a picture of the enclosure?
Sure. Sorry I haven’t moved him out yet. Honestly he was in one of the enclosures that I just threw together really quickly because I couldn’t stand him and a couple of others being in domed lid deli cups anymore. But nothing I used is toxic or anything. Super bummed/confused and just not 100% sure what to do yet.
image.jpg

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Sure. Sorry I haven’t moved him out yet. Honestly he was in one of the enclosures that I just threw together really quickly because I couldn’t stand him and a couple of others being in domed lid deli cups anymore. But nothing I used is toxic or anything. Super bummed/confused and just not 100% sure what to do yet.
View attachment 399816
Closer look at him?

desmith0927

Arachnopeon
No problem. I was going to freeze him - was thinking about possibly casting him but left him for when my husband got home to see if he had any ideas. He doesn’t but now his abdomen is starting to brown a bit - it was not like this earlier. Luckily I saw your message before I made a rough decision. He looked perfect all day just sitting there dead like nothing happened. No feeders were in with him. I’m definitely at a loss here.
image.jpg

Jumper

Arachnosquire
desmith0927,

Sorry for you loss. He was a good looking fella.
I hope you were able to pair him before his passing.
My wife's favorite female p.reguis passed the other day.
She was definitely more connected to this spooder than the other 5 we have.

-Jumper.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I don’t know how old your jumper was but they only live for about a year. Males live shorter then females. Sorry for your loss. It’s always sad when the little guys kick the bucket. Did you have a water dish for him.

desmith0927

Arachnopeon
I don’t know how old your jumper was but they only live for about a year. Males live shorter then females. Sorry for your loss. It’s always sad when the little guys kick the bucket. Did you have a water dish for him.
I’m definitely very aware of that. I have a lot of jumpers. He was a sub adult which is why this is so confusing. He still has a molt left before reaching adulthood ☹

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I’m definitely very aware of that. I have a lot of jumpers. He was a sub adult which is why this is so confusing. He still has a molt left before reaching adulthood ☹
His abdomen looks slightly shriveled were you giving him water.

desmith0927

Arachnopeon
desmith0927,

Sorry for you loss. He was a good looking fella.
I hope you were able to pair him before his passing.
My wife's favorite female p.reguis passed the other day.
She was definitely more connected to this spooder than the other 5 we have.

-Jumper.
I have an adult female that keeps spurning the advances of one of my only currently adult males. Their enclosures are next to each other and they interact like they like each other all day. The second I try to pair them she ignores him. This male was going to be my other option until my others become adults.

He had one molt left to reach adulthood so I wasn’t able to try yet. That’s why this is so confusing. He was a sub adult. Totally healthy and acting totally normal all day before. It just doesn’t make sense. I am at a total loss trying to figure out what could have happened ☹

desmith0927

Arachnopeon
His abdomen looks slightly shriveled were you giving him water.
Yes I was. This picture was taken anywhere from 12-18 hours after he passed since I don’t know exactly what time in the night or morning it happened. I was leaving him until my husband got home from work to see if he had any ideas. Initially he looked perfect. I didn’t even know he had passed at first. But as the day went on his abdomen shrunk and browned a bit ☹

Jumper

Arachnosquire
I have an adult female that keeps spurning the advances of one of my only currently adult males. Their enclosures are next to each other and they interact like they like each other all day. The second I try to pair them she ignores him. This male was going to be my other option until my others become adults.

He had one molt left to reach adulthood so I wasn’t able to try yet. That’s why this is so confusing. He was a sub adult. Totally healthy and acting totally normal all day before. It just doesn’t make sense. I am at a total loss trying to figure out what could have happened ☹
desmith0927,
You mentioned earlier in your thread you threw the enclosure together last minute. We were wondering if you gave ample time for the glue/silicone to dissipate inside the enclosure. We had a an old female who was having a hard time crawling along the walls. We decided to build an enclosure last minute, what we had thought was ample time for the enclosure for the glue/silicone to air out. It proved fatal to our Hyllus Diardi. A lesson we learned. We now let the enclosures air out for at least 2-3 weeks or if we can't smell the glue/silicone inside the enclosure closed. I'm not second guessing your husbandry just food for thought.

-Jumper

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
desmith0927,
You mentioned earlier in your thread you threw the enclosure together last minute. We were wondering if you gave ample time for the glue/silicone to dissipate inside the enclosure. We had a an old female who was having a hard time crawling along the walls. We decided to build an enclosure last minute, what we had thought was ample time for the enclosure for the glue/silicone to air out. It proved fatal to our Hyllus Diardi. A lesson we learned. We now let the enclosures air out for at least 2-3 weeks or if we can't smell the glue/silicone inside the enclosure closed. I'm not second guessing your husbandry just food for thought.

-Jumper
Old thread

Edwardk674

Arachnopeon

If they can see each other all of the time studies indicate they are less likely to accept courtship advances.

Ed

desmith0927

Arachnopeon
If they can see each other all of the time studies indicate they are less likely to accept courtship advances.

Ed
Thank you for that! Although I did successfully pair them and she’s sitting on an egg sac now 😊 but I will definitely remember that for the future.