Malaysian Pit viper

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
22years of keeping reptiles,i still dont have the $%!@ to keep hot stuff.beautiful snake!

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What would be the effect if that bit you. I would be to scared to have somthing potentialy dangerous as a pet. I'm sort of scared of my only snake, a garter snake! (hes viscous!:eek:) I think I'll stick to G. rosea, curly hair and pink toe;). lol

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What would be the effect if that bit you. I would be to scared to have somthing potentialy dangerous as a pet. I'm sort of scared of my only snake, a garter snake! (hes viscous!:eek:) I think I'll stick to G. rosea, curly hair and pink toe;). lol
Yea! The garter is the snake I probably been bitten by the most.LOL!!

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
Some one now wants to trade me for an albino cobra! never had elipads(spelled wrong i am sure) only had pit vipers
Elapids are a whole whole different creature than a pit viper. They are hookable, but they move in a whole different way and take some getting used to. I'm kind-of the opposite of you, I got used to working with cobras, and then had to re-adjust to jumpy little rattlesnakes! A captive-bred monocle who's accustomed to being moved around will generally not give you too much trouble, but you still need to adjust to their patterns of movement. And of course each one has their own personality, with some being more spastic than others.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Whats your guys take on venomoid snakes? i see they have some monocled cobras that have had there venom glands removed! Is it cruel or smart? I want a blizzard monocled cobra!

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whats your guys take on venomoid snakes? i see they have some monocled cobras that have had there venom glands removed! Is it cruel or smart? I want a blizzard monocled cobra!
Just my personal opinion,, I think it is uncalled for.Kinda reminds my of a documentary I saw on an Asian country pulling teeth out of bears for they will not hurt the owners putting them on display for profit.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Elapids are a whole whole different creature than a pit viper. They are hookable, but they move in a whole different way and take some getting used to. I'm kind-of the opposite of you, I got used to working with cobras, and then had to re-adjust to jumpy little rattlesnakes! A captive-bred monocle who's accustomed to being moved around will generally not give you too much trouble, but you still need to adjust to their patterns of movement. And of course each one has their own personality, with some being more spastic than others.

Hey cool !

I have few friends with a variety of elapids.And I know I diffidently need more than 1 hook when moving these guys.Some of them like to get tangled on hook and crawl up it and nice to be able to let them have it and have that extra hook near by.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just my personal opinion,, I think it is uncalled for.Kinda reminds my of a documentary I saw on an Asian country pulling teeth out of bears for they will not hurt the owners putting them on display for profit.
Ya i have a hard time with the hole modifying a creature so can keep it! Although it sounds fairly painless and does not seem to hurt them! Kinda like getting a dog neutered! I guess i could go either way if i thought about it enough! hmm, no if i wanted a animal i would want it in its natural form!

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya i have a hard time with the hole modifying a creature so can keep it! Although it sounds fairly painless and does not seem to hurt them! Kinda like getting a dog neutered! I guess i could go either way if i thought about it enough! hmm, no if i wanted a animal i would want it in its natural form!
Believe me i thought of it in the past,but I believe it takes away the Cobra out of the cobra;)

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
22years of keeping reptiles,i still dont have the $%!@ to keep hot stuff.beautiful snake!
Hey thanks! I will get more pics when I do cage maintenance again.

I find it no need to take him out just because.

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
Whats your guys take on venomoid snakes? i see they have some monocled cobras that have had there venom glands removed! Is it cruel or smart?
I would never do this to a snake, myself, but I've had venomoids in the past who came to me that way. I have to say, they taught me a lot about working with cobras, because it gave me a close-up view of just how fast they are, how they move, how they balance on a hook, etc., without risking my life in the process. And that helped me in my work with intact snakes. So in that sense I'm glad I had them in my life, but I'd still never have it done to an animal, of my own accord. You can get much the same experience with a fiesty colubrid: if you can work with, say, a bad-tempered black racer and not get nailed, that gives you some idea of how you'd work with an elapid.

Also, venomoids can have digestive issues because venom is a digestive enzyme, and without it they're missing the first part of the digestive process. The other factor is that removed venom glands have been known to grow back, so you can never 100% trust it.

the toe cutter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cobras in my experience and knowledge are nasty animals! They like to smear and throw urates all over their enclosure and you can just about guarantee that the water dish will need to be thoroughly cleaned much more often putting you in a position that requires more moving of these reptiles than the average viper. Plus if Ophiophagus hannah are on your mind, they can potentially get over 14ft long. Now with the 2/3rd's rule, thats alot of striking range and they can just about stand up and look you in the face. Not to discourage anyone, but definately look into these animals and ask around about habits from experienced hot keepers who have worked with the species you are interested in.

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
Cobras in my experience and knowledge are nasty animals! They like to smear and throw urates all over their enclosure
I've heard this said of N. nigricollis, in any case. A friend of mine calls it "finger painting." :) I haven't kept this particular species, myself; the ones I do have aren't too bad. Yeah, they need cleaned more often than a species with a slower metabolism, but that's just their nature, and it's true of active colubrids as well.

I've never been so intrigued by O. hannah, just because of the feeding issues, but I love the Naja species.

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
I have few friends with a variety of elapids.And I know I diffidently need more than 1 hook when moving these guys.Some of them like to get tangled on hook and crawl up it and nice to be able to let them have it and have that extra hook near by.
I find it easiest to use one hook and balance them mid-body to keep the head pointed away from me, but get hold of the tail with my other hand to keep them from sliding off. That's for adults, of course, whose tail is a reasonable distance from the head. :)

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find it easiest to use one hook and balance them mid-body to keep the head pointed away from me, but get hold of the tail with my other hand to keep them from sliding off. That's for adults, of course, whose tail is a reasonable distance from the head. :)
This a 6' adult male so that will work.I need to get a proper enclosure for it,I only got 2 weeks before the trade.Looking to getting a lockable(a must) vision cage with the sliding front glass.
What size cage would you suggest?

Dessicaria

Arachnopeon
This a 6' adult male so that will work.I need to get a proper enclosure for it,I only got 2 weeks before the trade.Looking to getting a lockable(a must) vision cage with the sliding front glass.
What size cage would you suggest?
I'd go with at least a 4' x 2' for the ground surface. Longer if you have space. These guys are pretty active. Height isn't so important because they're not climbers. They do like a nice hide box, but (if you use newspaper for bedding) they'll still sometimes get under the newspapers just because they like that security.

I'm kinda superstitious about not working with them after dark ... which may be silly, because I'm thinking of all those stories I heard about kraits becoming aggressive at night ... but unless there's no other choice, I prefer to clean elapid cages in the daytime.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

Dyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People think im crazy because I keep retics. =P

I'm very interested in some hots mainly gaboons and copperheads but I just dont think I will ever get them because of danger/cost of even a small bite from these guys.

Its kind of weird talking about the potential danger of a hot when I'm keeping large constrictors that can just as easily kill someone. I guess it just comes down to husbandry. I could probably care for and easily deal with a hot but I just dont feel comfortable with something where its one bite and its a 50,000+ medical bill.

I thought about the venomoid route but after researching it. It just doesnt seem worth it to snake or me.

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd go with at least a 4' x 2' for the ground surface. Longer if you have space. These guys are pretty active. Height isn't so important because they're not climbers. They do like a nice hide box, but (if you use newspaper for bedding) they'll still sometimes get under the newspapers just because they like that security.

I'm kinda superstitious about not working with them after dark ... which may be silly, because I'm thinking of all those stories I heard about kraits becoming aggressive at night ... but unless there's no other choice, I prefer to clean elapid cages in the daytime.

Good luck and enjoy! :)
Cool i will follow your superstition.I found a 5' x 20"x 18" cage with a top lock.
Friend told me that those slid glass cages, snake strikes and sometime get on the floor

Said it will be safer for these because they can not strike up like a viper

Again thanks!

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People think im crazy because I keep retics. =P

I'm very interested in some hots mainly gaboons and copperheads but I just dont think I will ever get them because of danger/cost of even a small bite from these guys.

Its kind of weird talking about the potential danger of a hot when I'm keeping large constrictors that can just as easily kill someone. I guess it just comes down to husbandry. I could probably care for and easily deal with a hot but I just dont feel comfortable with something where its one bite and its a 50,000+ medical bill.

I thought about the venomoid route but after researching it. It just doesnt seem worth it to snake or me.
I love retics. as well but that is alot of space I do not have,one day,one day;) I do not want to make the mistake of not being able to house it and be a fool and let it go in the wild,which I never would.I would rather give it to a good home.That saying people need to do research on getting a pet and not be so quick at the moment and purchase because it because of the "all cool" factor:?
I have done research on big snakes and want one,but can not house it properly at the moment.