Lost Limbs on stromatopelma calceatum

donttrustkory

Arachnopeon
Hello, I discovered that my feather leg baboon tarantula has lost one of its back legs and half of another after a molt. I am quite upset, and I don’t know how long it will be if it grows back at all. Does anyone know if it will grow back at all, and how long would it be? Will it come back entirely after its next molt?

Attachments

donttrustkory

Arachnopeon
I found somewhere with many FLB slings for $3 and was considering buying a new one since the leg broke, but if the legs will grow back then i will wait before getting a new one.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I found somewhere with many FLB slings for $3 and was considering buying a new one since the leg broke, but if the legs will grow back then i will wait before getting a new one.
Holy cow that’s cheap local pet shop $50 plus for those.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, I discovered that my feather leg baboon tarantula has lost one of its back legs and half of another after a molt. I am quite upset, and I don’t know how long it will be if it grows back at all. Does anyone know if it will grow back at all, and how long would it be? Will it come back entirely after its next molt?
A quick google search would tell you!!

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
I would like to take this one.

Last edited:

donttrustkory

Arachnopeon
UPDATE:

It appears the tarantula has self amputated the half leg, so he is now missing two legs. I sure hope they grow back ):

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
UPDATE:

It appears the tarantula has self amputated the half leg, so he is now missing two legs. I sure hope they grow back ):
They will self amputate when the leg impedes them. They will grow back with time, just make sure water is available and feeding goes well. I've seen slings recover with only 4 legs!

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
Yep, just like the others said they will grow back. Just give your T some time.
Tarantulas are cool like that.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I would check the sling’s conditions though. Make sure there is nothing in the set up or husbandry that could have contributed to the loss of legs. It’s really a pretty cool process to watch them regenerate.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Not the best picture but this is an adult, she generated this in one molt (although she's on a yearly molt schedule).
Screenshot_20240326-214540.png
Screenshot_20240326-214450.png

It was a complete nub when I got her. Now that she has molted, it's a tad thinner than the rest, and a wee bit more translucent, but she gets around and does her tarantula things just fine.

This one you'd be hard pressed to tell me which appendages were missing, but there was also evidence of regrowth, suggestive of multiple amputations...she came in an enclosure with a screen lid...give you a nickel if you can guess why she lost her limbs and pedipalps....

Glorfindel

Arachnopeon
Although Legs will Regenerate.
The First Regened Limb is usually smaller and weaker,
Eventually with another Molt or two, no more Gimp Leg.