Looking to get a T, Help?

CaseyFranklin

Arachnopeon
Ok so I want to get T after seeing them in a pet shop, they look like a <edit> pet to have. After my snake died im looking for another pet of that type. A T was my first choice. Im looking at going to Petco this weekend, holding every Rose Haired (???), getting a 5 gallon tank, potting soil, and a pottery pot or some kind of hiding place. Is it ok to get a Rosy at a comercial place like SuperPets or Petco? Are Rosy good starters? Can they be held frequently? Do they eat like 1 cricket a week? Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi and welcome to the hobby!

everything important on rosies (grammostola rosea): http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

the problem with most rosies at petco is, they are wc (wild caught) - so they may be ill, dehydrated, and so on (plus the moral problem).

ts are mainly to look at. many roses are tolerating being handled on amoderate basis, but it's your enjoyment, not theirs. it's stress for them, so think again if you want a pat that you can take out of its tank every day!
olus, they've got urticating hairs that might really irritate your skin and itch like mad.

hope i could help you.

CaseyFranklin

Arachnopeon
hi and welcome to the hobby!

everything important on rosies (grammostola rosea): http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

the problem with most rosies at petco is, they are wc (wild caught) - so they may be ill, dehydrated, and so on (plus the moral problem).

ts are mainly to look at. many roses are tolerating being handled on amoderate basis, but it's your enjoyment, not theirs. it's stress for them, so think again if you want a pat that you can take out of its tank every day!
olus, they've got urticating hairs that might really irritate your skin and itch like mad.

hope i could help you.
Yea but I dont have anywhere else I could get one from. That sorta sucks. But I could handle not holding her as much. Maybe only to show my friends. Where else could I get one?

Arachno~Raver

Arachnopeon
Yea but I dont have anywhere else I could get one from. That sorta sucks. But I could handle not holding her as much. Maybe only to show my friends. Where else could I get one?
get one off the internet there are loads of sites to choose from and all of them are more than likely to have a rosie for sale

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
plus, when you buy an adult from a breeder and have it sent to you, there is usually a free spiderling included :D

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
get one off the internet there are loads of sites to choose from and all of them are more than likely to have a rosie for sale
Botarby8s.com has a wide variety of Ts. i almost bought from there, but i found the t i wanted right here in my town.

Also. i would do some resarch on ts, if i were you. go to wikipedia.com, and narrow down to a tarantula that fits you.:cool:

CaseyFranklin

Arachnopeon
So if I order one off line they just send it to me in a box. It wont die? What other T's could I look at that would be clam, pretty looking, and easy to handle.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So if I order one off line they just send it to me in a box. It wont die? What other T's could I look at that would be clam, pretty looking, and easy to handle.
Take a look at look at these threads as the rosie and other Ts are focused in this thread(beginner Ts)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40814

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=37211

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=36848

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=83755

My personal additions to the rosie as a starter is: G aureostriata, G pulchra, B smithi, B emilia, pretty much any Grammostola and Brachypelma can be great starters, be aware docility is general attitude with the majority of the sp. Each tarantula has their own individual personality and always keep that in mind.

Purchasing: Any dealer in the dealer review section that personally seem good to you after reading what others have to say is great to order from(all actually are great! :D). I recommend Krazy 8s Invertebrates, Botar by 8s, Reptist Exotics. I bought my first T from Chris at Krazy 8s (2inch G aureostriata and got a .75inch rosie for free; like someone else said you can purchase another T and most likely get a rosie thrown in for free or any other spiderling. Good luck, best wishes and welcome to the hobby!

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it depends on the individual - but mostly, all grammostola and brachypelma species are good beginner's ts. brachys are a bit more expensive, but they've got awesome coloration - try googling for pics of brachypelma smithi or emilia. as for grammostola, i can totally recommend g. pulchra or aureostriata. aphonopelma is another genus you might want to look into, though they tend to be more defensive. if you like the 'leggier' appearance of arboreals, avicularia metallica or versicolor are great beginner species.

still, keep in mind that a tarantula is a wild animal and will stay that way. don't bother her if she shows signs of agression or nervousness. if you find a good breeder, you might try asking for a good tempered individual.

and yes, basically they send it to you in a box. if packed properly, they survive being shipped without any ill effects. try reading some of the sticky threads here, they will help you loads.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
bah, ando, you were quicker than me. and we said basically the same, lol.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also going back to what Alice said, I made a thread asking about survival rate of Ts being shipped as I missed shipment for mine and got 2 more days delayed after New Years and President Ford's funeral, they still came alive and well, some people on this forum accounted for 2 weeks in an Oregon snow storm and even up to two months across the world to Singapore all with the result of everything being alive, woot for T's durability and tough as nails persona!:clap:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
tarantulas in colorado

does anybody know of any tarantula breeders or sellers located in colorado??

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to say no, but if you get a T online from all dealers featured on this site, most likely you'll receive your T the next day.

Last edited:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Moderator's note

Please refrain from recommending any dealers within the discussion forum. I realise everyone is just trying to be helpful but we discourage this so that the discussions don't turn out looking like a bunch of ads. Please browse through the reviews forum for all the information you would like regarding the various dealers.

goferris

Arachnopeon
i am just getting started in the hobby myself and i asked a friend that is on here quite a bit and he got a b. albopilosum for me in an order that he made to the reptist and it has been great. it is fairly active and quite a good looking spider. it just molted a couple weeks ago and i think that is a much better looking spider than the rosea. from what i have heard roseas also have had a tendency to be called pet rocks. i also recieved a avic avic a couple days ago and they are quite cool. they do move a lot quicker making them harder to handle but not very aggressive. also it does some cool tunnel webbing so it would be a very fun spider to observe.
other than that i would have to agree with the other posts

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please refrain from recommending any dealers within the discussion forum. I realise everyone is just trying to be helpful but we discourage this so that the discussions don't turn out looking like a bunch of ads. Please browse through the reviews forum for all the information you would like regarding the various dealers.
Sorry about that, i edited mine, my sincere apologies!:wall:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, you can get a rosehair from a petco or other petstore, and to be honest if you get an adult rosehair from even an online T breeder it will still most likely be a wild caught. Rosehairs grow very slowly and I don't think I've seen any adult captive bred rosehairs offered for sale anywhere. Just be cautious, look the T over carefully, make sure its healthy. It should not have a shrivled or wrinkled looking abdomen, should not be missing any legs.
You also could look into some other good starter Ts.
A B. albopilosum or curlyhair are not expensive and are great for beginners, also look at:
Brachypelma smithi (Mexican redknee) a little more expensive, but really pretty
Brachypelma emilia (Mexican redleg) same as above, but a little harder to find
Grammastola pulchra (Brazilian Black) a lot more expensive, and hard to find but stunning looking
Bracypelma vagans (Mexican redrump) not expensive, easily found, very pretty
Check into some of those and see what you want. You might get bored with a rosehair, they aren't called pet rocks for nothing. Any of the bracys tend to be more active, just keep in mind that if you get a juvinile or a spiderling none of these grow very quickly.