Look at those little guys...

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the insight - next question

What about other related species - other Phoneutria species and other wanderers/Ctenids from the New World tropics. I believe that there are lots of different varieties of these spiders native to various rain forest regions. Could it be like with the funnel webs where the Atrax gets the notoriety but there are others like Formidibalis out there that are potentially more dangerous but where there just arent enough contacts with humans to have buildt up a reputation? <P>

Are some of these non-dangerous to humans? Or is the bite of any Ctenid/wanderer likely to be dangerous or maybe just nasty due to the size of the spider, potential infection, etc etc? <P>

I'd still love to see a video of one of these guys running full speed or attacking something. The video that adnan posted of his spider swaying back and forth as it contemplates his hand is neat - but the spider never makes an attempt to attack (or to retreat for that matter) <P>

And also would like a documented account of the results of a bite. <P>

I hope these questions arent tedious - just trying to learn something and seperate fact from rumor, myth, and outright fiction <P>

Crotalus - any thoughts on the authenticity of the pic of the spider on in the guy's hand a little ways up this thread?

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The problem is

That too many people do in fact use words like "mean" or "vicious" <P>

Folks seem to think that venomous creatures were put on earth to do evil things to human beings <P>

Homo sapiens is a heck of a lot more "lethal" to Phoneutria than it ever will be to us

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
blacktara said:
What about other related species - other Phoneutria species and other wanderers/Ctenids from the New World tropics. I believe that there are lots of different varieties of these spiders native to various rain forest regions. Could it be like with the funnel webs where the Atrax gets the notoriety but there are others like Formidibalis out there that are potentially more dangerous but where there just arent enough contacts with humans to have buildt up a reputation?
So far its only Phoneutria among ctenids that have a potent venom. No other genus have that as far as tests shows.

blacktara said:
Are some of these non-dangerous to humans? Or is the bite of any Ctenid/wanderer likely to be dangerous or maybe just nasty due to the size of the spider, potential infection, etc etc?
All except P. are non-dangerous of something around 40 genus. No its the specific neurotoxin in P. that makes them dangerous, the other genus lacks this component in the venom.

blacktara said:
I'd still love to see a video of one of these guys running full speed or attacking something. The video that adnan posted of his spider swaying back and forth as it contemplates his hand is neat - but the spider never makes an attempt to attack (or to retreat for that matter)
Watch out for a show on National Geographics later this february, one of my nigriventer will be on there. Dont know what they have in the show, some might be edited out but it made a few rushes.

blacktara said:
And also would like a documented account of the results of a bite.
Quote from C. Lipari:
"A friend of mine was bitten by P.nigriventer,collecting spiders in Missions , a province of the north of our country, the result was a coma state that
it last 3 days, no sequel is after the accident, only the fall of all the nails of the hand and feet fingers ,it happened several months after the bitten."

blacktara said:
I hope these questions arent tedious - just trying to learn something and seperate fact from rumor, myth, and outright fiction

Crotalus - any thoughts on the authenticity of the pic of the spider on in the guy's hand a little ways up this thread?
Not tedious at all, I find the subject interesting.

Not impossible its real. some people are just plain stupid.
He could very easily end up with the spider in his face

/Lelle

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool

What's the name of the Geographic special and when is it supposed to air?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
blacktara said:
What's the name of the Geographic special and when is it supposed to air?
"Insects from Hell" (!) but I dont have the definitly date when its supposed to be aired. I have to get back on that.

/Lelle

Adnan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When it will be on air here in Brazil? :D

Only god knows... :(

Adnan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some new pictures.

One spider of the first eggsac.

And 5 of the second (only 4 visible).

Adnan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not yet... I will separate them in next molt.

jeroen

Arachnopeon
Steven said:
the site you're getting those pictures from is Dutch,... quite sure the guy holding the spider and the spider in the grass are not from around my region ;)
Ah, that's my site...I put the picture there because the host were it orriginated from was slow as heck. Sorry for the confusion. As much as I like phoneutria's, I woulnd't want one in my home.

The caption was in Brazilian but it mentioned something that the person holding the phoneutria was a trained pro....whatever that means in this case.
It's real btw.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Steven said:
That's NG Europe right ?

very curious :}

did they filmed anything else then your Nigriventer ?
Yeah UK airtimes

Not really, just the P.nigriventer, some shots on a rattler but i might think they edit it out

/Lelle

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well darn

I searched for that program on the US National Geographic website and it seems they dont have that "Insects from Hell" series running here in the states<P>

And shame on the boys at NG for calling spiders and scorpions insects

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
blacktara said:
And shame on the boys at NG for calling spiders and scorpions insects
Im sure they know they are not insects. Calling it "Invertebrats from Hell" might not get the publics attention as much.

/Lelle

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Lelle,

i watched the program last night, it was actually very good! Your Phoenutra featured a fair amount in it. Is the setup they filmed it in the one you keep in in normally?

Cheers,

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great to hear it came out ok. No i made that esp for that filming
Im still waiting for my dvd copy here....

/Lelle

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Insects from hell

Hey, if/when you get a dvd copy, might I be able to get a copy from you somehow?