Living near farm

Devin261

Arachnopeon
I'm looking into getting a T. For my son. After reading lots of post I'm kinda worried that the field across the road might be close enough that pesticides could affect the T. The field is about 50 yards away. Figure I would ask before I get one.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I lived in Nebraska for a few years with tarantulas - the city was surrounded by farmland, and my backyard bordered a cornfield. Never had any issues.

Devin261

Arachnopeon
OK thanks. My son had been asking for one for over a year now. Hoping to get him one for Xmas this year.

Sana

Arachnoprince
That's good to know given that I want to move back out of town someday.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's a lot of variables, like what they spray, how much of it, how much wind and which way it's blowing, etc. When your windows are open, you take a risk on neighbors spraying; that risk varies depending on who lives next to you. Cold Blood had that happen to him and lost some spiders.

Devin261

Arachnopeon
My neighbors are not real close it's just the one field across the road that worried me. The other fields are over 150 yards away.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There will be far more spraying this year, and next, due to a public in panic mode from the zika virus, and many people will come home from the Olympics and spread it further. The public is demanding action from the government (for good reason), and there will be stepped aerial spraying, and truck foggers when they find infected mosquitoes in traps. You may have never had a problem with spraying before, or never even seen it, but don't expect that to continue.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah I live around a lot of farms, the closest one being just a few blocks away...I never worried about the farms, its my neighbor that constantly sprays poison that causes me issues. The window in the t room is no longer ever opened and I haven't had a single issue.

But like poec said, there are variables...good thing is that its only those few summer months that are a concern, once October ends you're in the clear:)

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
OK thanks. My son had been asking for one for over a year now. Hoping to get him one for Xmas this year.
We will be glad to help you pick out a good species for him and get you the information you need to care for it. It's a great hobby to get into. Let us know if you have more questions.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I lived in Nebraska for a few years with tarantulas - the city was surrounded by farmland, and my backyard bordered a cornfield. Never had any issues.
Was the cornfield sprayed though, as in, do you know this information for a fact?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm looking into getting a T. For my son. After reading lots of post I'm kinda worried that the field across the road might be close enough that pesticides could affect the T. The field is about 50 yards away. Figure I would ask before I get one.
If you decide to get a T for sure, when you ask what's a good T to get, it would be helpful if you provide us a budget of how much you are willing to spend? Is there an adult size you want to avoid (the T can be no larger than X inches etc), Color of the animal (brown, black, blue, reds/oranges etc) Disposition of the animal etc etc

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Living in the country and near a farm is cool but IMO only if there's a neighbour like this one or, better, a sort of crypto religious serial killer farmer :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Was the cornfield sprayed though, as in, do you know this information for a fact?
Zero idea what it was sprayed with, but I saw the planes spraying something every so often.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I had a feeling that was the case....
Some pesticides last all year and only need to be sprayed once, but even if that's the case, my spiders made it through at least once spraying. Although, it's far more likely they survived more than that. Granted, it's not like I had windows open, and my apartment was in the basement level.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some pesticides last all year and only need to be sprayed once, but even if that's the case, my spiders made it through at least once spraying. Although, it's far more likely they survived more than that. Granted, it's not like I had windows open, and my apartment was in the basement level.

All of which was relevant information that was left out of your original post.... o_O

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
All of which was relevant information that was left out of your original post.... o_O
A bit of common sense needs to be used, you know that. I'm sure most of us spray pesticides at home, but it would hopefully go without saying to avoid the room that one keeps their spiders in. The OP had the common sense to know that the farm pesticides would be an issue, so I doubt he'd leave the windows open during spraying season.

Devin261

Arachnopeon
I have been researching for few months now. The lps has a b.albopilosum with enclosure but the screen lid would need changed to plexiglass. It's around 3" I would guess. It's a local owned store not a chain.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A bit of common sense needs to be used, you know that. I'm sure most of us spray pesticides at home, but it would hopefully go without saying to avoid the room that one keeps their spiders in. The OP had the common sense to know that the farm pesticides would be an issue, so I doubt he'd leave the windows open during spraying season.
But as a sign once read "Common sense ain't common", o_O is it common sense that you lived in the basement- thus shielding your Ts better than if you lived above ground?? :D

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
good thing is that its only those few summer months that are a concern, once October ends you're in the clear

For some of you. In October Floridians can finally start to open their windows again. By March or April, we're closing them and running the a/c.