Least Scary vs. Most Scary

Ashton

Arachnoknight
This is a simple question: what are the least "scary" Ts and most "scary" in terms of defensiveness and venom?

I know it sounds silly, but I'd love to know your opinions! :biggrin:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I don't find any T's scary. I'd say your most defensive and most potent will be Asian and Australian species, though many African baboons will be among that list, too.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Venom is hard to say, because I've never been bitten nor done any extensive research on venom potency. I know what I know based on what others have told me and what I've read as far as bite reports.

As for defensiveness, none that I've owned have really proven to be overly defensive in the past. The one T that really does intimidate me just by reading about it is S. calceatum.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Well I would say my A.anax is probably my least scary per say as that genus has very weak venom (some people have no reaction at all) and is generally very calm. H.maculata has a VERY potent venom if I am not mistaken, but my H. sp Columbia scares me the most as it has no issue jumping into my hand and taking off, my baboons and pokies are more calm than that. Probably the most potent T I own is my P.metallica but I give it the respect it deserves and would rather just hang out in her ( I have no idea on gender but my bf named it Miranda) hide then bolt out.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I don't fear Ts, but there are some that seem like you have to be as careful as possible, more careful than usual.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My H. maculata has never given me any problems as of yet. S. calcaetum freaks me out a little based off of what I've read about their temperament. I hear that they are defensive to the point of being aggressive.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
My H. maculata has never given me any problems as of yet. S. calcaetum freaks me out a little based off of what I've read about their temperament. I hear that they are defensive to the point of being aggressive.
I'd have to say they are my 'feared' T for temperment, while P. ornata scares me because of venom.

Bergrider

Arachnopeon
S. calcaetum freaks me out a little based off of what I've read about their temperament. I hear that they are defensive to the point of being aggressive.
Glad to see I'm not the only one lol.
I don't think I will ever have that one!

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'd have to say they are my 'feared' T for temperment, while P. ornata scares me because of venom.
Fortunately my pokies seem satisfied with their lodgings and don't make any attempt to bother me, a happy animal is one with a nice hidey hole.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I don't fear Ts, but there are some that seem like you have to be as careful as possible, more careful than usual.
Eh, I treat them all the same. I keep hot inverts, so it's just easier for me to treat them all the same. That way I never get out of the mindset when I'm dealing with something that can deal potentially lethal bites/stings.

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
Most of mine don't scare me but my 2" Haplopelma hainanum makes my heart beat! He's ran up my tongs several times. I tried to poke a cricket that was in front of him to get it to move and he jumped right past his food and onto my tongs. From what I hear their venom is potent.

hmbrower

Arachnosquire
My huge female cobalt blue is insanely territorial. She dug a burrow but chooses to completely web the enclosure and is always up for a tong grab.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't find any T's scary. I'd say your most defensive and most potent will be Asian and Australian species, though many African baboons will be among that list, too.
I need peer-reviewed literature coming from someone who is SUSPECT ;) :D I couldn't resist!

Least concerned, my Euathlus sp. "Red"/"Yellow" totally cool. Most concerned, hmm toss up between my Lv. (Singapore Blue) and P. rufilata. While neither has tried to escape, the legs on my young male SBlue are quite long for its size compared to my other Ts of similar proportions, it could easily take off quite quickly. I treat them all w/respect, those 2, I'm always particularly more careful.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
S. calceatum act pretty much identical to H. maculata. I mean if you stick a paintbrush in with either one, and brush them they are gonna flip around and attack it. If you did the same thing with P. murinus, its very likely it would come up the paintbrush right at you. Im not saying either calceatum or maculata will not do this. But they are both a little less deffensive than murinus.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
To sort of dance around the question, quite frankly, if you are scared of a certain species, DO NOT BUY IT. You and your T will suffer for it. I'm not afraid of any Ts, but there are those that I don't feel comfortable owning and as such, no matter how pretty I may think an H.mac is for example, owning one isn't in the cards for me as yet.
On the end of the "least scary" scale I would say is Euathlus sp.red/yellow. Individuals may vary but in general they're extremely calm and tolerant to us humans.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eauthlus sp. definitely least scary haha As for most scary there really is no way to say, genuses and species have their approximate temperaments but those vary, you can have the sweetest pokie ever but have a rosea from hell, it depends.

I've actually found calceatum to be less defensive than most people believe, however it is FAST so I never leave the door open longer than necessary. My scariest T would probably be my H.lividum, she is extremely territorial and when I rehouse her I have to use a broom handle instead of a paintbrush, she's a bit of a jumper. I'm not scared of her, but she keeps me on my toes :sarcasm:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To me there is NO scary species, only more challenging ones ;-)

But of course if you measure a T with venom potency you have to look at the usual suspects
wich are meantioned in this thread already. There are some nasty bite reports out there on poecs, s calceatum. I am sure the aussie T´s also carries a punch. I know guys who have taken a hit from haplopelma, and they dont take prisoners either, should hurt like he.. for a long time. I sometimes go out in nature and catch haplopelma longipes (Thailand) and the locals tell me they get pretty sick when bitten.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Most of mine don't scare me but my 2" Haplopelma hainanum makes my heart beat! He's ran up my tongs several times. I tried to poke a cricket that was in front of him to get it to move and he jumped right past his food and onto my tongs. From what I hear their venom is potent.
Why would you poke at the cricket in front of the spider? The cricket will eventually move and the spider will catch it. Doing that is just asking to be bit

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
Key word being eventually didnt want to wait that long. Fact is he had no intrest in the cricket and was only worried about me. Im not scared of it. He just made me realize its not a t to be poking around in his cage.