Laws on giant black millipede breeding and selling within usa

Anthro1985

Arachnopeon
Hey I'm new to this. I am interested in trying to breed and sell the giant African millipede. Is this legal to do within the USA?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Hey I'm new to this. I am interested in trying to breed and sell the giant African millipede. Is this legal to do within the USA?
Yes, that's completely legal. You'll need to buy them from another breeder within the U.S. as it is illegal to import any millipedes, unfortunately.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would check with the USDA, as well as your local agriculture agency before committing to this endeavor.

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
I'm just curious, how can it be legal to buy these inside the USA if it is illegal to import them in the first place?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I would check with the USDA, as well as your local agriculture agency before committing to this endeavor.
No need for all that! o_O Well, you might check your state's laws -- some have additional nonsense, it's true. :meh:

I'm just curious, how can it be legal to buy these inside the USA if it is illegal to import them in the first place?
You expect laws in the U.S. to be rational?! :rofl: Apparently, there was some thought that the AGB's commensal mites were bad for crops, maybe specifically cotton? To my knowledge, this was not proven. And thus in 2006, the importation of ALL millipedes were banned... because the mites of ONE species MIGHT be bad for crops... :grumpy:

But those that were already in the U.S. being captively bred are okay. Are the mites not bred along with them? I would expect so, but I have no idea -- I've never owned one. So even if the mites ARE a threat to something, this stupid ban may have done nothing about that -- how typical! :rofl::mad::banghead::dead:

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
No need for all that! o_O Well, you might check your state's laws -- some have additional nonsense, it's true. :meh:

You expect laws in the U.S. to be rational?! :rofl: Apparently, there was some thought that the AGB's commensal mites were bad for crops, maybe specifically cotton? To my knowledge, this was not proven. And thus in 2006, the importation of ALL millipedes were banned... because the mites of ONE species MIGHT be bad for crops... :grumpy:

But those that were already in the U.S. being captively bred are okay. Are the mites not bred along with them? I would expect so, but I have no idea -- I've never owned one. So even if the mites ARE a threat to something, this stupid ban may have done nothing about that -- how typical! :rofl::mad::banghead::dead:
I don't expect anything rational from our current government.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I don't expect anything rational from our current government.
If global warming policies are hardly going to be supported, then I don't think our Republican-dominated government would bat an eye to changing policies on keeping some pet arthropods, let alone millipedes.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
If global warming policies are hardly going to be supported, then I don't think our Republican-dominated government would bat an eye to changing policies on keeping some pet arthropods, let alone millipedes.
If there was someone to pay them off for doing so, sure. But I doubt any politician of either major party would do so. Will it bring them votes or money? No? Then why bother. It is much easier for a law to be passed banning something than for it to be repealed -- not that it never happens, but that's the unfortunate truth of it. :grumpy:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm just curious as to what law or act was used to deem importation as illegal. Apparently it was not cites as these are not a cites animal. With cites animals only movement between countries is a concern. Any CBB animals produced in the US can be bought and sold in the US without permits. Then there is the Lacy act, which I believe is the USFWS and which is what got the pythons, any movement between states is also prohibited with them so would it be the same with the pedes? If its a dept of agriculture thing, as with the giant African land snails, ownership might be illegal.

I'm not saying that those of you claiming it is perfectly legal to breed and sell them are wrong I'd just like to know why you are saying that and why and under what authority they were banned in the first place. I know when I got mine from Ward Science they sent me a copy of their USDA Permit to Move Live Plant Pests, Noxious Weeds and Soil (interstate movement) If importation were the only legal roadblock why would an interstate permit be needed? If they are classified under any of categories associated with this permit then wouldn't everyone need one?

If your goal is to breed and sell these guys I would not rely solely on information gleaned from any website such as this. No offense intended to those trying to help.

P.S. viper, if you are reading this its just what we have been discussing. People need to make sure they get the correct information from the source not just some random guys on the internet.

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
You can try looking through the US Fish and Wildlife Service's Q&A page. There are several links from which you can click on, but it's late over here and I don't want to go through the hassle of clicking through every single one. But from what I saw, they fairly recently amended the python species to be included in the Lacey Act as "injurious species."

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I'm just curious as to what law or act was used to deem importation as illegal. Apparently it was not cites as these are not a cites animal. With cites animals only movement between countries is a concern. Any CBB animals produced in the US can be bought and sold in the US without permits. Then there is the Lacy act, which I believe is the USFWS and which is what got the pythons, any movement between states is also prohibited with them so would it be the same with the pedes? If its a dept of agriculture thing, as with the giant African land snails, ownership might be illegal.

I'm not saying that those of you claiming it is perfectly legal to breed and sell them are wrong I'd just like to know why you are saying that and why and under what authority they were banned in the first place. I know when I got mine from Ward Science they sent me a copy of their USDA Permit to Move Live Plant Pests, Noxious Weeds and Soil (interstate movement) If importation were the only legal roadblock why would an interstate permit be needed? If they are classified under any of categories associated with this permit then wouldn't everyone need one?
I would like to know myself! I have tried searching numerous times, both through search engines and various government sites; I don't know why I cannot find any information. :confused: What I have said is what I've heard from others who have been in the hobby far longer than I.

Regarding the USDA Permit that you refer to, it's possible that Ward Science got the permit for another species that really do require it -- like bean beetles, which are an agricultural pest but are sold as feeder insects. I have purchased many inverts from many dealers and this was the only instance that I encountered in which they explicitly stated they had a permit and also sent information on how to responsible dispose of them. Or perhaps Ward Science is being extra cautious and following the strictest interpretation of the law?

It seems to me that there are many gradations between legal and illegal. Some things that are, strictly speaking, not legal, and yet are not enforced because the purpose of the law was something else. And then there are really dumb laws that to my knowledge have not been repealed but no one would enforce (Google "dumb laws" and you'll see what I mean). I am not saying that this is the case with shipping millipedes but it would not surprise me.

Whether you want to go by common practice or decipher every potentially relevant law from nation to state to county to township, etc., is up to you. If you do research and find more information on the subject, I would appreciate your sharing it :link: -- and I will try not to rant too much, lol! :zipit:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
US Customs and Border Protection, USDA, USFWS, FDA, Department of Agriculture, US Public Health Service and relevant state fish and wildlife agencies. The DOT and ICC may also have regulations.
Is it possible to make possession and or transportation of animals any more complex?

Anthro1985

Arachnopeon

If your goal is to breed and sell these guys I would not rely solely on information gleaned from any website such as this. No offense intended to those trying to help.

P.S. viper, if you are reading this its just what we have been discussing. People need to make sure they get the correct information from the source not just some random guys on the internet.

I actually wrote to the USDA and I am waiting for a response. I originally called them. Found the right extensions but then the automated service took me right back to the beginning twice! Right back where I started. I know the website I am ordering from has a permit from the USDA to sell. So I think it's safe to assume I need that too. Either way I hope to bring these awesome creatures back on the map in the United States. Seems like you can't find them anywhere.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually wrote to the USDA and I am waiting for a response. I originally called them. Found the right extensions but then the automated service took me right back to the beginning twice! Right back where I started. I know the website I am ordering from has a permit from the USDA to sell. So I think it's safe to assume I need that too. Either way I hope to bring these awesome creatures back on the map in the United States. Seems like you can't find them anywhere.
I'm thinking along the same lines you are. If they need a permit why wouldn't everyone else. The question is do they really need a permit or are they just covering their behinds just in case. Then the question becomes if they don't need a permit why are they covering their behinds.

I would like to know myself! I have tried searching numerous times, both through search engines and various government sites; I don't know why I cannot find any information. :confused: What I have said is what I've heard from others who have been in the hobby far longer than I.

Regarding the USDA Permit that you refer to, it's possible that Ward Science got the permit for another species that really do require it -- like bean beetles, which are an agricultural pest but are sold as feeder insects. I have purchased many inverts from many dealers and this was the only instance that I encountered in which they explicitly stated they had a permit and also sent information on how to responsible dispose of them. Or perhaps Ward Science is being extra cautious and following the strictest interpretation of the law?

It seems to me that there are many gradations between legal and illegal. Some things that are, strictly speaking, not legal, and yet are not enforced because the purpose of the law was something else. And then there are really dumb laws that to my knowledge have not been repealed but no one would enforce (Google "dumb laws" and you'll see what I mean). I am not saying that this is the case with shipping millipedes but it would not surprise me.

Whether you want to go by common practice or decipher every potentially relevant law from nation to state to county to township, etc., is up to you. If you do research and find more information on the subject, I would appreciate your sharing it :link: -- and I will try not to rant too much, lol! :zipit:
If I get babies I'll look into it more closely and I'll be happy to share any info I find. The problem with choosing which laws you follow and which ones you ignore is that you are inevitably going to be breaking the law at some point. Yes we all break laws on occasion and the vast majority of times we get away with it. In most of those cases though we probably are aware of the laws and the chances of getting caught are not very great or the repercussions are fairly small so its worth the risk.

In this case it appears that we do not actually know the law and if we do not know the law its difficult to know what the risks are. If caught will the animals be confiscated and possibly destroyed? Will there be a fine involved or perhaps even jail time. Will it influence your ability to continue to pursue the hobby?

My GUESS is that there is little risk of being caught. Like you said its up to the individual to decide if they want to take that risk.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Recalling when I cobbed together a glop of household chemicals, all MSDS rated as non toxic, to create an herbicide to control blackberyy and poison oak. Non toxic and worked very well. So I went to market the stuff. NOPE! It was an herbicide. Sold as an herbicide. It therefore had to had various official government approvals.
So I sent off for the paperwork package. 42 pages to fill out accompanied by a 76 page instruction manual. Working my way through the morass I came to the three year testing and toxicological analysis. Then of course, the $170,000 application and filing fees.
I gave up. US Gov and red tape an insurmountable implacable enemy of common sense.

MillipedeMan99

Arachnopeon
I have a supply in New Jersey if you are still interested.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've found the agency websites laws lack of laws general language etc to be confusing and not user friendly. When in doubt stay quiet and low profile is my advice.