Laws on giant black millipede breeding and selling within usa

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I've done a little re-checking the USDA files. There is no one list of animals that are restricted. Let's repeated that: THERE IS NO SINGLE LIST OF RESTRICTED ANIMALS.
In addition, the point of origin of the animal, the destination, the origin shipping facility, intermediate transfer facility, that actual animal, the potential contact the animal has had with other animals, and the animal itself, live or in pieces and what condition those pieces are in and how and where they have been stored and handled are all factors in the restriction of moving the animal. And above and beyond all of that, the final determination regarding the animal being transported is subject to the individual USDA officials interpretation of the various laws, statutes, regulations and restrictions.

Let's sum that up. USDA inspector wants to be hard nosed=You are screwed. Unless you can unravel the mile high fuster cluck of red tape, the law will side with the inspector.

Simplified: You want to move an earthworm 6 inches from Oregon to Washington. You can't do it. Unless you can. Consider contacting your local deity for approval and guidance.

Example: But one of several manuals regarding the movement of animal, whole or in pieces. A little 756 page info bit to chew on with your brekky.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads/apm.pdf
(And some will say, that PDF only applies to blah blah blah. Wrong. The USDA works backwards. Everything applies until it is positively excluded. Yes, every last detail in that PDF and several other similar FOS ones must be excluded or otherwise deemed irrelevant.)

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I managed to read to the point where the USDA went into details of the transportation and storage of trophy deer antlers and how well they were cleaned of flesh using what method and hung it up. <-NOT KIDDING.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I've been looking into this recently, and it's a bit confusing and not very clear.
It seems if it's already here, then it's here and is fine.
Most of what I read was on beetles, non-native species you need a permit to own them and sell them and the individual you're selling to also needs the permit.
However I was never able to find anything in regards to millipedes when reading this info. Snails and slugs are also including, but I never saw mention of millipedes.

You can't legally import millipedes into the USA, but I haven't seen anything regarding selling them within the USA if they're already here.
But since things aren't very clearly stated, and are at times vague, it's hard to know for sure.
You'd think if there were issues, people would have already gotten in trouble for selling other non-native US species, but as far as I know, no one has gotten in trouble thus far (aside from people getting caught for illegally importing AGBs and trying to sell them) for owning or selling other non-native US species without said permit.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I am not going to advise anyone to do this, nor do I encourage anyone to do this, but with that in mind, they got caught cause the millipedes made a lot of ruckus (that is how the beetles that were imported to Pennsylvania got caught).

Technically you can't import any wildlife into the US without a permit from the USFWS and that is for legal tarantulas and whatnot. This is due to the fact that we hobbyists tend to keep (yes, reptile, bird, plant, and many more) and maintain a lot of things, and it is economically more efficient to get more than one than just one.