Law on Shipping Live Invertebrates

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you use an account like ReptilesExpress or ShipYourReptiles, that seems to meet their desire for "business to business" shipping in proper packaging, from the few discussions I have had with FedEx workers.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
wait so do a lot of breeders break the law? I don't really care but I've gotten arachnids from like UPS and stuff😆

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
They REALLY don't follow their own rules, from what I can tell.
A lot of roach vendors ship USPS when they should be considered "pest animals".
Or hornworms even - tomato worms.

"Any plant pest, the movement of which is prohibited under section 103 or 104 of the Federal Plant Pest Act (7 U.S.C. 150bb or 150cc)."

That's the power of money baby.

I feel any carrier's "policy" is more about liability.
Someone WILL take your money, regardless of policy.
But if it ever causes an issue - "Hey, you're not supposed to ship that, I told you that very clearly in my policy statement."

Imo but -

One should check local and federal laws on what animals they can own, then what animals they're allowed to ship.
Ignore company policies - to some degree. FedEx says they don't ship tarantulas unless it's business to business.... but like... they do... and are infact what a lot of large vendors use to ship overnight.

Buy from rep/safe vendors. Good vendors aren't likely to knowingly put their company, reputation, and success at risk - they're gonna follow the law as best they can.
They may technically "violate the carrier's policy", but again, I don't think that really matters much.
Provide packing lists, invoices, paperwork - to prove the carrier knew what was in the box.

That's all you can really do without driving yourself too mad over it.

I was gonna get some feeders shipped via USPS but I personally won't now because of that plant pest law.
Like I said, large companies already doing this without issue, but I'm not trying to technically risk federal prison to save some money on feeders. lol

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I am really glad to find this post, started well after I was not active in the hobby any longer, so I really was not aware that the laws had changed so much... or possibly they were always this severe and I just did not realize it.

FrogMantid

Arachnopeon
I am really glad to find this post, started well after I was not active in the hobby any longer, so I really was not aware that the laws had changed so much... or possibly they were always this severe and I just did not realize it.
I ended up here after going through a mudslinging contest thread about phasmids that was downright ridiculous and full of misinformation posted by people who know nothing because they are not in that hobby. Juxtaposed to the tone in this thread, It's amazing how personal bias can effect peoples judgment. Part of the problem is that people who are not into a hobby, no matter what it is could care less what draconian laws and regulations are created against those hobbyists. Just because some arachnids are dangerous in some areas under certain conditions, that doesn't justify making blanket bans at all. Just the same, because a single phasmid species from a coastal climate in India got away and invaded a small part of CA with a similar coastal climate, that doesn't justify banning phasmids such as those from the neotropical rainforests that pose zero risk in most of North America. I envy those who live in EU. They have been enjoying far more freedom in these hobbies than Americans for hundreds of years without any major issues in spite of the fact that they have similar climate range to the US. If our society doesn't wake up soon and realize that to be and let be is the only path to retaining our freedoms, things are only going to get worse from here on out and many hobbies like this one will vanish for good along with all our other freedoms.

A lot of roach vendors ship USPS when they should be considered "pest animals".
Or hornworms even - tomato worms.
Another misconception. Most of the popular roach species used as feeders are popular because of the fact that they do not pose the problems German cockroaches pose if they escape, which is why Florida is finally starting to ease up on the restrictions for some of these species. Also. ironically, most pests are spread around the country via USDA certified produce and plant shipments, not hobbyists. Tons of produce cross the Mexican border every day carrying all sorts of interesting bugs from central and south America up with them.

Example:
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.fdacs.gov/content/download/10229/file/Guideline-for-Importing-Exotic-and-Non.pdf[/URL]

Exemptions

Last edited:

Stardust1986

Arachnoknight
Ironically, some millipedes secrete (fairly mild) cyanide, so they would actually be poisonous.

They REALLY don't follow their own rules, from what I can tell.
All anyone can say is ship red overnight from a reputable source