Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

xeno81

Arachnopeon
I can't help but feel like I have widow fetish. Excellent up close mating shots. Love to see a vid of that coupling. Amazing pics.:drool:

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
GREAT pictures, i could sure use a good camera. do you guys use the micro setting or whatever its called? also, my uncle found a black widow last summer/fall in his yard, and we live north of baltimore, i didnt know they were around here. could this be a freak occurance? i mean i dont see a spider just randomly making it this far north. i assume id have some luck searching for one this year. what do you guys think?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
L. variolus range really far north.

and i use the macro setting when i take pics.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Would anyone be intrested in selling a sub adult male western or two?preferably someone in so cal that can ship cheaply.

Maxorz

Arachnopeon
This I think is a L. mactans. Found it last summer with a friend at the beach. I actually didn't know we had them here, so I thought it just looked similar to it. Then when I got back from the beach and checked on my computer, I was quite surprised!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yep! nice female mac there, she looks very dehydrated/hungry though, or she just got done dropping a sac!

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
here is one of my 2 female L.Hesperus.and a pic of my setups.tell me what you guys think.also,i would love to see some other peoples setups.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
woa!i just noticed the picture of the setup that theres another spider in there!it looked like one of my funnel web grass spiders.i ran to the cage and sure enough there was one in there,but he was wrapped up in webs and dead...i have more though.i catch them outside.i dont know how he got in there.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
thanks for posting the link what, i was just about to do that. there has also been further crossing beyond what that paper covered, if you do a search on here buthus has done a lot of work with it, and on a different site, another guy has done a few beyond that. all to say, none were ever successful :D

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you do a search on here buthus has done a lot of work with it, l :D
um.. not really (not that i dont appreciate the mention :p).
"A lot of work" imo means, at the very least..multiple attempts with specific purpose, documentation, repeatable conditions...etc.
Mostly I added males to females and watched for reactions (if any) and with a 'few' attempts I allowed things to progress beyond that. ;)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
by a lot of work i meant multiple pairings between different species. seems like you did more pairings than in the paper!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
by a lot of work i meant multiple pairings between different species. seems like you did more pairings than in the paper!
That paper didnt seem like too much work either ...;)
..but, at least it was documentation of some experiments with specific purpose. I gotta go back and look at my photos to jog my memory ...bad science. :rolleyes:

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
where do you guys get all of these species from?i can only find mactans for sale.anyone have any species other than hesperus and mactans they'd sell?pm me if you do please!!!!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
where do you guys get all of these species from?i can only find mactans for sale.anyone have any species other than hesperus and mactans they'd sell?pm me if you do please!!!!
Check out Ken's site. He had some Latrodectus tredecimguttatus not too long ago.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
CF, looks like your widow could be L. tredecimguttatus.

pretty color variation, btw.