Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

Burak

Arachnopeon
I have received packages what came by plane. Air is cold, that's right, but inside the plane the temp. is ok. I know a guy who put a Testudo hermanni into hisluggage and it arrived without a cold ;) And I think you can order packages what come by train and ship. You should better worry about opening packages on borders. IMO if you send to the same continent that's no problem, but I know if you send to Africa from Europe or from Africa to Europe it will be opened.

If widows are packed well none of them can escape. And if you are this careful guy, have you thought about how many animal can travel continents? Just think about shipping building materials. Perhaps the shipped materials were placed outside. It can conatin fertile eggsacs, spiders, scorpions, etc.
thanks for informations,
im not perfect about being careful but i'll try im sure about that
i thing i'll buy from europe 'cause shipment is more confident than other places,isnt it?
and you are telling me ı could use train or ship,
but trains or ships have shaky cruising is that dangerous for widows?.

Raikiri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I prepare spiders for shipping in the following way: I choose a box what is not too big not too small and put handkerchiefs into the box. Then I put the spider into the box and add more handkerchiefs. This makes not much space where the spider can move, so even if somebody throw the box they can't harm. Most of the european breeders ship in the same way. I think it is perfect.

Burak

Arachnopeon
Well I prepare spiders for shipping in the following way: I choose a box what is not too big not too small and put handkerchiefs into the box. Then I put the spider into the box and add more handkerchiefs. This makes not much space where the spider can move, so even if somebody throw the box they can't harm. Most of the european breeders ship in the same way. I think it is perfect.
i agree its really logical thanks again
if i buy tarantulas,widows or scorpions i'll tell them that way.
thanks again
my best compliments.

SNiDE

Arachnopeon
Hello folks, this is my first post so forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe this to be Latrodectus Tredecimguttatus. My brother and I found it on the door of my parents house in south-eastern spain. Despite the lack of any markings, I'm quite confident of the ID as the species listed as similar in the area look alot different. Anywho, on with the pics:

Here she's curled up behind her eggsac, surrounded by a score of dead beatles. The beatles all had holes about 1cm in diameter drilled into the back of their heads.

Her playing dead with the dead male (I presume) on top of her (we had to move her away from the door as we have kids running through)

I have a smaller specimen in captivity, will post up pics of her when her habitat is completed.

Last edited:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would gamble L.lilianae. I swear I see subtle squiggly lilianae patterning up-front dorsal ..and a splash further back. ??
From what I gather, lububris / treds (all black morph) range much further east.

Chris.Nagel

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Latrodectus this is very obvious form of a black tredecimguttatus.
In lilianae is the musterung much stronger and extends to about the middle of the abdomens.
lilianae comes in the region and almeria aragon in spain.
lugubris is a pseudonym for tredecimguttatus was no more validity.
Greeting Chri

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello,
Latrodectus this is very obvious form of a black tredecimguttatus.
In lilianae is the musterung much stronger and extends to about the middle of the abdomens.
lilianae comes in the region and almeria aragon in spain.
lugubris is a pseudonym for tredecimguttatus was no more validity.
Greeting Chri
:clap:
Hey..Chris, dont you have a million or so posts here? ...only 12?

Was informed once that lilianae could range (like treds can) from crazy bright markings to almost faded to black. I would have to suppose that those could be mis-IDd treds ..since treds seem to cover alot of interesting ground when it comes to pattern trial n' error. Wish we over here had more access to widows from over there... just to learn more. I really miss all my Mediterranean/mid-east species. Actually, kinda bums me out thinkin about it.
Hey arnt you the man? ... you must have some decent pics of actual lilianae and different tred examples. Show us some stuff. The Latrodectus Renaissance is still going on ..just in a lull ..we need some inspiration! :)

Chris.Nagel

Arachnopeon
Musterung= Pattern.....Sorry;)
i have a translation prog. this dont know translate "Musterung".

greets chris

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
{D well there ya go!

Hey.. a male lilianae :clap: 1st time ive seen a pic of one.
Thanks Chris and great to see u around again. ;)

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just love the one from Antalya province, Turkey. :drool:

Chris.Nagel

Arachnopeon
Hi, I hope I
more time is here and occasionally post.
I always somewhat limited in time.
have a few pictures for you tredecimguttatus

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great stuff guys! :worship:
Up close and personal ...those Steatoda are sure ugly compared to latros... :D

golinveaux

Arachnopeon
I have a perfect L.mactans fat with 7 day fertile sac. I have kids in the house and can't take the chance with the slings getting loose. Would you be interested in having her and sac?

Last edited:

Gergo

Arachnopeon
Hello!
This is my beautiful mother widow (Latrodectus mactans mexicanus)

Gergo