Latrodectus breeding questions

NYAN

Arachnoking
It means you will have many baby's :D If you stay during the mating, you can separate them on time. If you leave them overnight, they will be eaten..
Both males are dead already. The one was wrapped in silk, which isn’t the way the male sacrifices himself if I recall and the other was just dead at the bottom. I hope you’re correct about the babies.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
I have seen both here also (have 6 mated females here), all producing vial slings... It will be fine, within 4 weeks you have your own cocoon's ;-)

NYAN

Arachnoking
I have seen both here also (have 6 mated females here), all producing vial slings... It will be fine, within 4 weeks you have your own cocoon's ;-)
I can’t wait! Hopefully I can help make this species more available to hobbyists in the US.

JoP

Arachnosquire
Both males are dead already. The one was wrapped in silk, which isn’t the way the male sacrifices himself if I recall and the other was just dead at the bottom. I hope you’re correct about the babies.
I don't know if male widows are susceptible to widow venom (although I can't see why they wouldn't be), but maybe the female landed a bite on each male and they succumbed later? That might explain why one is dead at the bottom. Or the female consumed that one, and what you see on the floor is just the leftover bolus, and then she wrapped the other in silk to eat later, like a prey item?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I don't know if male widows are susceptible to widow venom (although I can't see why they wouldn't be), but maybe the female landed a bite on each male and they succumbed later? That might explain why one is dead at the bottom. Or the female consumed that one, and what you see on the floor is just the leftover bolus, and then she wrapped the other in silk to eat later, like a prey item?
Nope it’s the entire spider.

Wild Wonambi

Arachnopeon
Hasselti are highly cannibalistic, so both males getting eaten sounds just about right. I've heard of matings happening without cannibalism in most Latro species, but hasselti pairings seem to almost always result in the male being eaten; just a quirk of that particular species.
In general, what is the rate of cannibalism with the other species of the latrodectus genus?

NYAN

Arachnoking
In general, what is the rate of cannibalism with the other species of the latrodectus genus?
I think geometricus is up there with hasselti. Other species either don’t do it unless the male is mistaken for prey, or it isn’t well documented.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
some are fast, some take it easy ;-) One of my faster lady has already her 4th cocoon, within small 2 months.. You will have plenty slings :)

Hi everyone, I am aware there are other threads similar to this but they didn’t answer my questions. I have latrodectus Hesperus and hasselti that I want to breed. They are related to each other though. I’ve heard conflicting information on whether this can cause issues or not though. Anyway, I want to know how to introduce the males to the females, how long it takes for them to mate once being introduced and if there are any ways to know if the spiders are mature. I tried to introduce the male and the female yesterday and the female had a feeding response. The males are almost as big as the female species legspan wise but the females have their adult coloration pretty much and are adult sized. The hasselti males are still in their webs and are smaller.

Hi, I've noted that in nature, Females that are well fed tend to be much more forgiving than those whom have not had a large meal within a day or so of mating.

NYAN

Arachnoking
C35D1295-C9AA-4244-85A7-7C75BCD4470C.jpeg I mated my last hesperus and hasselti yesterday. Today I see this, latrodectus hesperus which I mated originally:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Mrs redback made another sac while I was at work. She decided to move to another area of the enclosure though and left the last one at her old hide.