Large custom enclosures?

SpiderInTheBath

Arachnosquire
I re-homed an LP this weekend. The guy had lost interest in his tarantulas and when his girlfriend was moving in, decided to give them all away. Score for me! She was in a cage much too small for her (pics at the end of the post), because she'd grown faster than he'd expected I think. I also took a B. emilia, but I have an enclosure for her so that's not what the thread's about.

The LP is approx 10 inches (body length 4-4.5 inches, she's a bit skittery and doesn't like to be approached with a ruler so sizes are as close as I could get while she was comfortable). I have rehoused her into a large rubbermaid that she could contentedly live in forever, but I would prefer to have a good display enclosure for her and can't find anyone who will make one in a size I'd be happy with.

Anyone know of any independent traders who will make and ship an acrylic enclosure of approx 50-60cm long, 42 deep, and 20cm high?

Thanks!

^^in her original enclosure, you can see she can touch both sides if she stretches her legs

^^ Transferring to the RUB in a sieve because I discovered I had no catch cups she would go into! Sometimes we have to improvise, right? She was much more amenable to an open topped container.

^^Settling in!

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I know that TarantulaCages.com has a HUGE terrestrial tank for sale. They look great, but are pretty pricey. That would probably be your best bet for an enclosure that large.

SpiderInTheBath

Arachnosquire
Yeah, they are pretty expensive! I'd have to save up for one of those, but it might come to it - a big part of the hobby for me is having them on display, and most of mine are in TSS enclosures. It's too bad they stopped taking custom orders!

Thanks for the link :)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can do what I do and make your own. Use an aquarium and cut some plexiglass to fit for a lid. The lids I make are siliconed to the frame, hinged in an appropriate place and then I add a cabinet lock so without a key opening is impossible. This works great for arboreals and terrestrials alike and it doesn't take long to do. It does need to air out for a few days to let the fumes dissipate. Total cost is usually less than $20 if you can scrounge materials, and that's including buying a new 10 gallon tank.

SpiderInTheBath

Arachnosquire
I've never done anything like that before, but it DID cross my mind to to try. Is it Kritter Keeper type tanks you're using? I've had real trouble finding anything of that size that isn't either hideous or £300 and for fish. I was even considering just getting the pieces cut and holes bored through and sealing them together with aquarium sealant, but the thought of doing a botched job gives me pause, haha!

I will look into this!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Nice snag, measuring across the sifter will give a fairly accurate measurement.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heck, a 10 gallon with a plexiglass lid would suffice. Perfect for display. Can add multiple levels. Design it up and make it look as good and as safe as possible for the T.

My opinion, it's pointless to offer many Ts so much room. I had a LP in a huge container. Long and wide but short. She was 7"+. She didn't touch half of it. You could see where she walked all the time and where she never touched. She literally stayed by her hide all the time. In the area she used, it was less than a 10 gallon.

Constant supply of food, water source, the works. She was safe. She knew it and never moved.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I have actually downsized a few of my adult T's from 10 gallon to 5 gal and they don't seem to have any problem with less space. This gives me more room ;)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I'm going to look for an enclosure for my stirmi next Sunday at a reptile show in indy. She likes my converted tote enclosure, but I want one that shows her off a bit better. I'm in no rush to move her, so I may try a do it yourself approach. An lp would do fine in a 10 gallon terrarium or fish tank I would think.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have actually downsized a few of my adult T's from 10 gallon to 5 gal and they don't seem to have any problem with less space. This gives me more room ;)
What species received the downgrade, and what size were the Ts? I've always wondered what I can drop into a 5 that isn't a dwarf, or a pethole.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know that TarantulaCages.com has a HUGE terrestrial tank for sale. They look great, but are pretty pricey. That would probably be your best bet for an enclosure that large.
Has he taken orders lately? I asked him 3 yrs ago and he said he wasn't.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Jamie's used to make an XL size enclosure that was quite large but I haven't seen it on her site for a while now...so not sure if she still does them. Might have to ask her. It was very nice but très pricey.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
What species received the downgrade, and what size were the Ts? I've always wondered what I can drop into a 5 that isn't a dwarf, or a pethole.
Two of my adult female Grammostola porteri that I had paired. At the time I didn't have any 5 gallon tanks, collection was still small (under 20) and I already had them.
The only T I have still in a 10 is an adult female P. cancerides @ 7". I think 5 gallon can work for all large T's except Theraposa adults. I'll put it to test as my P. fortis female, N. tripepii female, LP female and P. atrichomatus female grow.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Two of my adult female Grammostola porteri that I had paired. At the time I didn't have any 5 gallon tanks, collection was still small (under 20) and I already had them.
The only T I have still in a 10 is an adult female P. cancerides @ 7". I think 5 gallon can work for all large T's except Theraposa adults. I'll put it to test as my P. fortis female, N. tripepii female, LP female and P. atrichomatus female grow.
Really you think so? I'm not saying you are wrong. I sure do like the FOOTPRINT of a 5 gallon that's for sure, always have. I may try this with one of my NW AFs, and see how it works then. I like to give them room to walk around though too, and they all use the space I provide.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Really you think so? I'm not saying you are wrong. I sure do like the FOOTPRINT of a 5 gallon that's for sure, always have. I may try this with one of my NW AFs, and see how it works then. I like to give them room to walk around though too, and they all use the space I provide.
My hides are large but buried most of the way leaving a second floor veranda for exercise and a water bowl.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My hides are large but buried most of the way leaving a second floor veranda for exercise and a water bowl.
Hmm, when you get a change, mind taking a good clear pic of a good representation? This would aide in my decision process.