Lampropelma violaceopes rehousing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are some very beautiful specimens, thank you for sharing the photos Singapore. I'm actually really jealous of these two. Definitely two I need to get!!

IMO there is no way anyone can tell her what or what not to do with her own spiders, this type of boundary overstepping happens too often here.
I have noticed this as well. Its why I try very hard to word my posts so that they don't appear too judgmental. I'd still advise against handling any OW species, and I totally get the concern of some regarding the impact it could have on the hobby. At the same time though, you can't take away people's rights to be reckless and irresponsible. People will do what they want to do. No point in getting all worked up over something you have no control over.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
- Okay, you know your spiders better than the rest of us know ours. If fact, you know these wild animals better than the rest us know our domesticated pets, which have proven time and again to be unpredictable (hence thousand of people being bitten by 'man's best friend.'

- No, the monopoly is people taking risks that could jeopardize the hobby for everyone else. And I have to move out of the US? Whoa. Getting a little carried away. Perhaps you don't realize that tarantulas cannot be owned in Italy, non-native tarantulas cannot be owned in Australia, and parts of Germany have banned Poecilotheria. The hobby is much more than you. Governments get involved when individuals don't seem to be able to handle the responsibility, and they restrict or eliminate every one else's rights in the process.
And all this giving tarantulas and the hobby a bad rep, jeopardising the hobby, banning certain Ts which most likely will be OW Ts, which means in the end, death to the hobby..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
IMO there is no way anyone can tell her what or what not to do with her own spiders, this type of boundary overstepping happens too often here.
In a perfect world. But we already have groups trying to ban all private ownership of wild animals, and politicians more than willing to grand stand and ban animals when they think it could get them some votes. We're a tiny minority, not like we have any political clout. Tarantulas can be banned overnight and there's not much we can do about it. We either try to self-police the hobby the best we can, or a high profile incident or two can give get the government involved. We need to be on our best behavior so that our children and grandchildren will be able to keep these animals.

What some people consistently fail to realize, is that they can impact everyone else.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In a perfect world. But we already have groups trying to ban all private ownership of wild animals, and politicians more than willing to grand stand and ban animals when they think it could get them some votes. We're a tiny minority, not like we have any political clout. Tarantulas can be banned overnight and there's not much we can do about it. We either try to self-police the hobby the best we can, or a high profile incident or two can give get the government involved. We need to be on our best behavior so that our children and grandchildren will be able to keep these animals.

What some people consistently fail to realize, is that they can impact everyone else.
I'll agree with you here, the only saving grace being that they are generally not lethal. She holds her OW, gets bit, gets sick, gets better, writes a bite report, and that's that. She knows what she's risking.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
And all this giving tarantulas and the hobby a bad rep, jeopardising the hobby, banning certain Ts which most likely will be OW Ts, which means in the end, death to the hobby..
There are people just waiting for an excuse to give that some momentum. Do we play into their hands, and show them that yes, we can't be trusted to keep these animals responsibly. Technically anyone has the legal 'right' to ruin it for every one else. I don't want to lose my collection because of some fool that couldn't see beyond his own little world.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 02:53 PM ----------

I'll agree with you here, the only saving grace being that they are generally not lethal. She holds her OW, gets bit, gets sick, gets better, writes a bite report, and that's that. She knows what she's risking.
If it were only so simple. Handling greatly increase the odds of escapes. Just about everyone lives with family or friends, and/or has people over to visit. You handle, spiders teleports where you can't get it. Kid in the house gets bit a few days later. Or a neighbor or a playmate of theirs is over and gets bit by the loose spider. Kid in the hospital with an OW bite, on TV and the internet, and parents demanding action. That's what can go viral and trigger bans. But what the heck. It's worth it to get a rush handling big hairy spiders. Especially if you have a psychic connection with them and know their every move, in advance.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

At the same time though, you can't take away people's rights to be reckless and irresponsible.
No, we as individuals can't, but governments can, and do.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

[/COLOR]

No, we as individuals can't, but governments can, and do.[/QUOTE]

The government will do what it wants to do though. I just don't see what we as individuals can do to prevent it. Besides not handle our ourselves and practice being responsible and encourage others to do the same. We're kind of doing all we can do in our power.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The government will do what it wants to do though. I just don't see what we as individuals can do to prevent it. Besides not handle our ourselves and practice being responsible and encourage others to do the same. We're kind of doing all we can do in our power.
But we do have some control over it. The government reacts to special interest groups, and there are a number of groups trying to ban private ownership of all wild animals. The more ammo we give them, the more they're able to pressure legislators. I don't subscribe to the theory that: 'Don't bother to say or do anything, we're helpless and some idiot's only going to ruin it for all of us anyways.'

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There are people just waiting for an excuse to give that some momentum. Do we play into their hands, and show them that yes, we can't be trusted to keep these animals responsibly. Technically anyone has the legal 'right' to ruin it for every one else. I don't want to lose my collection because of some fool that couldn't see beyond his own little world.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 02:53 PM ----------

If it were only so simple. Handling greatly increase the odds of escapes. Just about everyone lives with family or friends, and/or has people over to visit. You handle, spiders teleports where you can't get it. Kid in the house gets bit a few days later. Or a neighbor or a playmate of theirs is over and gets bit by the loose spider. Kid in the hospital with an OW bite, on TV and the internet, and parents demanding action. That's what can go viral and trigger bans. But what the heck. It's worth it to get a rush handling big hairy spiders. Especially if you have a psychic connection with them and know their every move, in advance.

No, we as individuals can't, but governments can, and do.
The simple and easy answer to this entire solution is to educate. However that being said just because I choose to handle my tarantulas does not make what I'm doing incorrect. How do you know that I'm just not very good at it? How would I get good at it? Through handling the spider. You can take it for what it's worth but there has been one thing I have noticed the people who tend to get bit are the ones who do not handle their spiders. My tarantulas because I'm constantly in their cages with my own hands are not very defensive at all. I do not know how many bite reports I've read or somebody stuck their hand into water or give a prey item and they got bit in that manner. I have never had any of my spiders come at me while putting my hands in their enclosure. All I know is this they seem to do better with hands-on then they do if I were not to handle them. They are not as nervous and in general or more excepting of general maintenance due to my handling practices. You can disagree with me all you want to but this is personal experience. In earlier post you call me arrogant but my friend you have a definite attitude issue yourself. You have this attitude where you think you're opinion is a fact when indeed it is not. You come across like you have the right to tell others how they should handle their collection even if they do have experience. It's okay to offer help to those who may need it. That being said when somebody who's had a great deal of experience tells you they know what they're doing you need to leave it be. I could understand your attitude towards somebody who would never owned a tarantula before and decided to pick up a Singapore blue but somebody who's been in the hobby as long as I have you are quite insulting just to let you know

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful tarantula.

No offense
You all seem like a bunch of kids that didn't get your way.
Every thing is not a debate, just say you don't believe in handling and let it be.
It's his/her choice. It's ridiculous to see people have interests in common and pathetically argue so much.
Eye roll.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful tarantula.

No offense
Every thing is not a debate, just say you don't believe in handling and let it be.
It's his/her choice. It's ridiculous to see people have interests in common and pathetically argue so much.
Eye roll.
Agreed 100%. That was kind of what I was trying to get at. Thank you for wording that very simply. To begin with this entire thread was me honestly just showing off my beautiful tarantula in her new environment and that was all.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful tarantula.

No offense
Eye roll.
-sigh-

Haven't you seen any news stories about spiders? People just loooove to drag out spider stories. Haven't you heard 'the puppy-sized spider'???

There was a story here in the summer, when the false widows were being brought over to Ireland from shipment boxes. Within a week there was a story saying a false widow 'bit and killed' a boy (Maybe around 8 or 9 Years old, I can't remember). Everyone freaked out, thinking as usual the spiders were 'out to get them'. Misinformed people who see spiders as evil creatures can and will always make a big story about a spider 'biting them in their sleep'. It's our responsibility to inform and prevent stories for them to talk about. If someone gets bit by a tarantula, people will drag that out like there's no tomorrow, being as they're the largest spiders and all. Especially an OW.

Like poec said, this hobby goes far beyond just one person.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
If that balfouri she had on her neck bit the corotid artery or the jugular vein, who knows what could happen..that could be the bite that ends the hobby..I have to admit I don't really care if people handle the hotter stuff or not..you know you shouldn't so if you get bit suffer in silence..dont run to the er tho for pain killers and muscle relaxers...every documented invenomation because of stupidity is merely a piece of evidence that will eventually kill the hobby. I know I'm gonna get bashed for saying that but I don't care..I saw irresponsible people make it so that I could not keep burms ,retics,rock pythons anacondas etc..etc.. I'm tired of suffering because of dumb people doing dumb things..

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I saw irresponsible people make it so that I could not keep burms ,retics,rock pythons anacondas etc..etc.. I'm tired of suffering because of dumb people doing dumb things..
Thank you.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 04:22 PM ----------

Haven't you seen any news stories about spiders? People just loooove to drag out spider stories.

There was just an article online on some poor kid that died from a recluse bite. Spiders don't get a lot of good press. We don't need to add to it.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 04:22 PM ----------

There was just an article online on some poor kid that died from a recluse bite. Spiders don't get a lot of good press. We don't need to add to it.
Yes I am fully aware of what you're talking about. The recluse bite happened in my home state of Tennessee. There's a big difference between a recluse and a tarantula. Apparently you need a little toxcicity lesson. The grammar close is the most data miss spider in North America.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
there has been one thing I have noticed the people who tend to get bit are the ones who do not handle their spiders.
Not quite. Stan Schultz has been bitten 2 dozen times from handling his docile Brachys and Aphonos. I haven't been bitten in over 40 years, because I don't handle any of my spiders. Apparently you've domesticated yours.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 04:26 PM ----------

Yes I am fully aware of what you're talking about. The recluse bite happened in my home state of Tennessee. There's a big difference between a recluse and a tarantula.
To us, not to the public, and the people that decide whether or not we can own tarantulas don't know anything about them.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If that balfouri she had on her neck bit the corotid artery or the jugular vein, who knows what could happen..that could be the bite that ends the hobby..I have to admit I don't really care if people handle the hotter stuff or not..you know you shouldn't so if you get bit suffer in silence..dont run to the er tho for pain killers and muscle relaxers...every documented invenomation because of stupidity is merely a piece of evidence that will eventually kill the hobby. I know I'm gonna get bashed for saying that but I don't care..I saw irresponsible people make it so that I could not keep burms ,retics,rock pythons anacondas etc..etc.. I'm tired of suffering because of dumb people doing dumb things..
That spider is my most docile tarantula in my collection. Your comment is amusing to me

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Not even the carotid artery or jugular vein! A tarantulas fangs is very unsanitary so when you get bitten a lot of foreign objects enters your body, and each individuals immune system responds differs, but in that area causing a nasty infection, even toxaemia is possible from bacterial toxins or bacteria entering blood stream and since the carotid artery and jugular veins provides blood flow from an to the brain and both are huge vessels, even more so you could get nasty infection that could affect your upper respiratory tract, what if that T bolted onto her face and bit her there? She wouldn't be able to stay at home without medical treatments since a bite in the neck or face area could prove to be very dangerous and in case of infections she would need to seek medical attention.. what would she tell them if they asked her what happened?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That spider is my most docile tarantula in my collection. Your comment is amusing to me
I had a dendroaspis polylepis that was quite calm but I never free handled her because I knew she could kill me...your arrogance is only preceded by your ignorance. A good handler would never let any creature free roam on there body especially near there face or neck..I'm glad I ammuse you I put my red nose and clown shoes on just for this post. Good luck spider whisperer..

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Yes I am fully aware of what you're talking about. The recluse bite happened in my home state of Tennessee. There's a big difference between a recluse and a tarantula. Apparently you need a little toxcicity lesson. The grammar close is the most data miss spider in North America.
it is not about the potency of tarantula venom, what does that have to do with anything? But tell me do you consider tarantula fangs sterile and clean? It's about the foreign substances (bacteria) that enters your body and how your immune system responds to it, and by the why, a bite near the carotid artery or jugular vein, add bacterial infection to that considering those are both huge blood vessels, where they supply blood to, add the bacterial flora overgrowth, then the vessels transporting the substance to your heart and brain and back.. you get severe immune reaction, since those vessels provides blood to vital organs, medical attention is a must.. what do you tell them?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Not even the carotid artery or jugular vein! A tarantulas fangs is very unsanitary so when you get bitten a lot of foreign objects enters your body, and each individuals immune system responds differs, but in that area causing a nasty infection, even toxaemia is possible from bacterial toxins or bacteria entering blood stream and since the carotid artery and jugular veins provides blood flow from an to the brain and both are huge vessels, even more so you could get nasty infection that could affect your upper respiratory tract, what if that T bolted onto her face and bit her there? She wouldn't be able to stay at home without medical treatments since a bite in the neck or face area could prove to be very dangerous and in case of infections she would need to seek medical attention.. what would she tell them if they asked her what happened?
the op will never listen to reason....let Darwinism handle this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.