Lactrodectus Hesperus

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
Hey guys i recently bought an L. Hesperus and i was wondering if you think that she will molt again heres a picture

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I doubt that could be answered. No telling by just a picture and L Hesperus aren't seasonal so you will find them molting year round.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey guys i recently bought an L. Hesperus and i was wondering if you think that she will molt again heres a picture
Buying an L. hesperus seems so weird to me. I have dozens of them in my garage and around the foundations of my house. Whenever I want one for my collection, I just go outside at night and poke around with a flashlight until I find a nice fat one. They are one of the bread-and-butter species for our local exterminators. Then again, I'm sure you have plenty of cool bugs out there that are commonplace to you but that I'd gladly pay for, if I could get ahold of them. :rolleyes:

I can't tell from the picture if she is fully mature or not. I don't see any of the dorsal markings that are typical of juveniles, but those can fade before the spider reaches maturity. I've had some juveniles that were fully black before maturity. If she starts laying eggs, then you'll know that she's mature. Once they reach maturity, they can live for another year or year and a half. As a side note, they're really cool to watch when they molt. I was lucky enough to catch one of mine in the act and it was strangely beautiful, like some sort of arachnid ballet/strip-tease.

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
Buying an L. hesperus seems so weird to me. I have dozens of them in my garage and around the foundations of my house. Whenever I want one for my collection, I just go outside at night and poke around with a flashlight until I find a nice fat one. They are one of the bread-and-butter species for our local exterminators. Then again, I'm sure you have plenty of cool bugs out there that are commonplace to you but that I'd gladly pay for, if I could get ahold of them. :rolleyes:

I can't tell from the picture if she is fully mature or not. I don't see any of the dorsal markings that are typical of juveniles, but those can fade before the spider reaches maturity. I've had some juveniles that were fully black before maturity. If she starts laying eggs, then you'll know that she's mature. Once they reach maturity, they can live for another year or year and a half. As a side note, they're really cool to watch when they molt. I was lucky enough to catch one of mine in the act and it was strangely beautiful, like some sort of arachnid ballet/strip-tease.
Thanks i really never see any black widows where im from so that's why i bought one and i dont think shes fully black yet i see a tiny bit of brown on her legs tho heres another picture hope its a little better

Attachments

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had countless adult Hesperus look slightly brown in color. Do you have any pics from above? Younger Hesperus will often have patterning on top of the abdomen prior to their ultimate molt

Ijk24

Arachnosquire
I've had countless adult Hesperus look slightly brown in color. Do you have any pics from above? Younger Hesperus will often have patterning on top of the abdomen prior to their ultimate molt
Sorry don't have any pics from above yet but when I get home I'll try and get a pic

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think we be chasing a skittish race horse over the wide open prairie here. Hesperus can lay dud sacks before fully mature, there have been brown and even albino specimens found and so on. Not predictable. Just have to wait and see.

JAFUENTES

Arachnodragon
I think we be chasing a skittish race horse over the wide open prairie here. Hesperus can lay dud sacks before fully mature, there have been brown and even albino specimens found and so on. Not predictable. Just have to wait and see.
I want an albino widow now. I didn't even know it was a thing. However despite my wanting of one it's a rare occurrence that shouldn't be taken in private but shared amongst all.

Ceymann

Arachnoknight
I have been on the hunt for a Latrodectus mactans for a while now, Ill look around during the day time for what looks to be their ideal web, then come back at night only to find a common house/ cob web type of spider. I have been considering ordering a L. hesperus from ken the bug guy, but I live in L. mactans range so I have a hard time doing that when I should be able to find one fairly easy.
frustrating.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
if there is some brown banding on the legs as you described, that's *almost always* a sign that the spider is still immature

edit: after looking at that second picture you posted, i can see some of the brown on the legs. if i had to bet, i'd say your spider has at least 1 more molt in her.

also, i see that i'm about a week late. i should check in more often haha

RebelWolf

Arachnosquire
Latrodectus Hesperus is my favorite specie. I so need to buy one someday. Nice photo

jerremaniac

Arachnopeon
Currently housing two mature female L. Hesperus lodgers in terrariums. I find their webbing to be absolutely fascinating. It also made their nests in my front yard really easy to spot! Shy right up until feeding time, and then they mean business!

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a guy just found one at work. had it in a green nalgene bottle. could barely see it. im getting it set up in a big container.