Kicked out of Duplex due to "keeping Tarantulas"

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My landlord, an 80 something year old bitter man, seen me holding one of my slings the other day. I usually don't take them out of my house because of the fear of death/landlord/etc, but on this occasion, I felt like taking one of my G roses out for a little while. My landlord, we'll call him "Shaun", seen this and freaked the heck out.

I know average people's revulsion to spiders more than most. My mom HATES them, and I had a huge G Rosea for a long time. Shaun's reaction was more than expected. I put my t away and sat down with him to explain and teach him about t's. his first statement "Those things carry diseases, ya know" "they are going to escape and lay eggs everywhere". What?! I tried telling him that they are harmless, no one has ever died from a T bite, the pretty much NEVER move, and they do NOT carry any diseases that are harmful to humans. he, being old, was convinced he is right, and knows more then the 18 year old tenant. I'll give him that, he probably knows more about most things than I do, but I defiantly have the upper hand in this one. He is not happy with the situation, and I believe he might be planning on kicking me and my room mate out for this. As I said, he's bitter.

Any suggestions? I am in a real bad situation at the moment, and I am out of ideas. He seen me hold it, and I am fine. Any thoughts?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Would letting him look over a published book which would back up everything you have said help? If it comes to you getting kicked out, can you tell him you got rid of them and hide them in a closet or something? Just a couple of thoughts.

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
He is just upset that I didn't tell him before. I just seen him not even a minute ago, and he gave me that distrusting look. I fear it's only the start.

I think he is pretty set in his ways, as far as reading a book, he will just say to me what he always says: "can they prove that?" "Just because it says it, doesn't mean it's true." "Scientist don't know anything".

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it comes down to it i'd suggest that he show you where in the lease it states that a tenant may not keep small invertebrate pets. It may say no cats or dogs but allow for small pets such as hamsters, hermit crabs etc. I'd say T's would legally fall into that second category. If you signed a lease, the lease is the law. Likewise however, if the lease says no pets whatsoever then you're skrewed.

Also The fact that (i assume) your T's are kept in seperate cages may allay his fears of them "gittin' loose and layin' a buncha' aygs"

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You need to look in your lease/rental agreement and see what is says about pets etc...

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
If it comes down to it i'd suggest that he show you where in the lease it states that a tenant may not keep small invertebrate pets. It may say no cats or dogs but allow for small pets such as hamsters, hermit crabs etc. I'd say T's would legally fall into that second category. If you signed a lease, the lease is the law. Likewise however, if the lease says no pets whatsoever then you're skrewed.

Also The fact that (i assume) your T's are kept in seperate cages may allay his fears of them "gittin' loose and layin' a buncha' aygs"
I must from a legal standpoint dissagree, T's are as we know venomous.. and thusly the legal system treats them very differently. ala Bans in some municipalities.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I must from a legal standpoint dissagree, T's are as we know venomous.. and thusly the legal system treats them very differently. ala Bans in some municipalities.
Exactly. There is most likely not anything you can do. Even if one of your spiders were to bite you (again), I doubt that would convince your landlord they're harmless.

I'd 'get rid' of them for a bit...find a spidersitter you trust, and then find a new place to live.

Shoot me a PM when you have a chance.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could always dust the final rent check with a M. robustum molt hehe

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Have you had run ins with him before? Do you normally pay your rent on time? If youve been a good tennant up until this point you can likely save yourself by going and apologizing and saying you misunderstood the lease's no pets policy, assuming it only applied to cats and dogs. Tell him you will get rid of the spider immediately (in reality you could just do a better job hiding it or give it to a friend). Unless you've been a terrible tennant or have a bad relationship as it is he will likely accept your apology and let you stay. It's alot more hassle finding some one new to rent his apartment than it is to just let you stay and get rid of the T!

edit: I should add that during my college years I had room mates who did everything you could imagine to the places we were staying: started a fire on our porch, threw a friend through a wall into another room, busted w/drugs, loud parties etc. On each occasion they were threatened with an eviction, but simply apologizing and paying for any damages got them out of all those situations. Believe me, your situation is very minor compared to the stuff most landlords have seen. Don't panic.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I suppose my first question is why were you walking around outside your house holding a tarantula, a sling no less.

My second question would be have you double-checked your lease agreement? As previously stated, if you acquired the tarantulas after moving in, and the lease prohibited pets, you're screwed, unless you can sweet-talk him. If the lease allowed for small pets, or "terrarium pets", then maybe you can get him to agree to them as long as you don't take them out again?

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i really don't think you are getting evicted, because it is a huge hassel for a landlord. if you were renting a room in someone's house that might be different, but for a big apartment complex i really doubt it. just tell the guy that you plan on getting rid of them, i mean, i donno if its allowed by i doubt he'll actually go search your apartment. don't take your spiders out next time!!!

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
YOu need to find a renter's resource center in your area. The land lord cannot kick you out with out a 30 day notice. AND if your lease does not cover small animals, or specifically cover birds, small animals then you can force him to make you stay.
You may well have to have arbitration, use the books available on T's and get some information about their native habitats, (IE the ones you keep).
You do have rights. Even if he forces you to move you have the right for 30 days. And you will need to make sure it is worded correctly. If you have an eviction you will find it hard to find another place to rent.
If you have to look for a new place. DON'T hide the fact you keep T's. Get a pamphlet of information on them, to have with you. Take one of the nicer, tame ones with you.
I had a large dog and a medium dog. Most places won't take a big dog.. I brought them with me so they could meet my dogs.
Have phone numbers of published Authors available (contact them first). Have the zoo, local pet store and university numbers and individuals available as references ( again contact them first).
If you can over whelm them with facts and the fact that most T's are from tropical climates and cannot survive out side..AND records of it being cb and not exposed to a male.. (there for cannot lay eggs)...
You will win any argument. You may try to get a hold of the local university and zoo and get published information PLUS your records on your t's and present them to your land lord.
Tell him that you have written, published facts on T's and that your lease agreement allows you to have them. At least until your lease is up for renewal, he cannot evict you for keeping Ts. IF your lease does not expressly prohibit them or insects, things kept in aquariums, cages or birds.
But get your facts and stuff in order. You can force him to allow you to stay till the end of your lease. I wouldn't bet on it after that though...

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

That's a very valid point which in afterthought i agree with.

Iggy, since your landlord doesn't know anything about T's however, just tell him they've been de-fanged per standard pet-trade practices. If he buys that tell him they've been spayed too. Or you could take the responsible route outlined above by T-chick.

Last edited:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My landlord, an 80 something year old bitter man, seen me holding one of my slings the other day. I usually don't take them out of my house because of the fear of death/landlord/etc, but on this occasion, I felt like taking one of my G roses out for a little while. My landlord, we'll call him "Shaun", seen this and freaked the heck out.

I know average people's revulsion to spiders more than most. My mom HATES them, and I had a huge G Rosea for a long time. Shaun's reaction was more than expected. I put my t away and sat down with him to explain and teach him about t's. his first statement "Those things carry diseases, ya know" "they are going to escape and lay eggs everywhere". What?! I tried telling him that they are harmless, no one has ever died from a T bite, the pretty much NEVER move, and they do NOT carry any diseases that are harmful to humans. he, being old, was convinced he is right, and knows more then the 18 year old tenant. I'll give him that, he probably knows more about most things than I do, but I defiantly have the upper hand in this one. He is not happy with the situation, and I believe he might be planning on kicking me and my room mate out for this. As I said, he's bitter.

Any suggestions? I am in a real bad situation at the moment, and I am out of ideas. He seen me hold it, and I am fine. Any thoughts?

How long have you had the tarantulas?
Does it say anywhere on your lease speficially if you can't have pets? and if it says you cant have pets i think they should have to say which kind of pets but dont have to specify why...you should check that out.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Firstly try telling him that you only keep females & they have all been fixed (don't know what you guys up there call it) like a cat or dog, so they cannot breed.
Secondly, tell him that it is impossible for them to survive outside as they require high temps. Tell him that they all have heat pads. If it doesn't open a can of worms, tell him that your mate down the road had one escape cuz he left the lid open and it died in less than 30 mins due to not having any heat.

Thumb suck ANYTHING. FIGHT for your T's. Use his ignorance to your advantage.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
i really don't think you are getting evicted, because it is a huge hassel for a landlord. if you were renting a room in someone's house that might be different, but for a big apartment complex i really doubt it.
Not really. Depends on the lease. Some leases are terminate at will or have a terminate at will clause, such as at my last apartment, all the landlord has to do is give you 30 to 60 days notice (depending on local laws and lease stipulations.) Again like everyone says go voer your lease carefully.

Just lie low, and do not give him any additional reason to be pissed off at you, and maybe he will not make more of the situation. Though, worse comes to worse, I would start looking for another place just it case.

Be careful he may have the complex sprayed for bug since he has seen your t.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Or like in Oregon if you have a pet against your lease agreement, you can be give 14 days to get ride of the pet or move out. From state to state varies but check your lease and see if there is anything that can save you. I am willing to be there is something in there that the landlord snuck in that allows him to make decisions like that regardess of your State laws, sadly it happens all the time.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Know your area laws

A lot of areas (county, city), have passed a dangerous animal law - and you can make a safe bet that Ts fall into the dangerous animal category. If your area has such a law and you took your T out in public not knowing the law...:wall:

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Try this when you see him outside one day but he doesnt see you get a big bag that isnt see through and throw it in the trash as he watches you and just tell him that they all died because you forgot to feed them (do this a week or two later from the date he said you can't have them). he has to believe you because landlords CANT go in your apartment without you you being there or w/o your consent (unless its for a reason like he's suspecious of you selling drugs and he has the cops raid your apartment but he still needs some kind of proof to go in there even for that) so when he comes by to check to see if they are gone all you have to do is hide them until he leaves. there isnt anyway he is going to go through ALL your stuff. like the law is when cops are looking for stuff in people's house they legally CANT tear the whole house up if what they are looking for is big enough not to hide. for example a grown dog or cat or something to that extent...But then again T''s are smalll so he may have to look everywhere but he still doesnt have to destroy the place.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gah, that is horrible. Dangerous animal law? Cats are pretty dangerous, read this article once where a Cat killed the owner by ripping her jugular open while she slept.

I don't think Tarantulas are a real threat to the human population; Dog bites...

"There are almost 5 million victims annually -- about 2% of the entire population. 800,000 need medical attention. 1,000 per day need treatment in hospital emergency rooms. Between 15 and 20 die per year. Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face. Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year, with over $300 million paid by insurance."
That's taken from; blah .

I dunno, no real point to rambling on about crap, not going to change your situation. There's lots of good suggestions in this thread already.

Good luck with your situation.