Just got some A. versicolor slings, how are my habitats?

SunSchein89

Arachnopeon
Well, as the title suggests, I just got two A. versicolor slings today, they're about half an inch. These will be my first tarantulas/invertebrates; I do have a good few years experience with amphibians and reptiles, though. And I work at a pet store, but I know that's not saying much. One of these is actually a birthday present for someone and the other will be mine as a birthday present to myself :D.

So, I know these guys can be rather fragile as slings from what I've researched so far. Most of what I've found says that ventilation is the main problem most people will encounter. To start off, I think I'll start misting 2x a week and see how that goes, but I wanted to get your guys' opinions on the setup thus far...

There's 3 holes near the top and 3 holes just above where the substrate lies (milled sphagnum) on all 4 sides. I also drilled 4 holes on the lid and have put screen over all of them. Do you think this will be enough ventilation? That leaf in there is fake, too by the way, I know how rotting things and mold can affect these guys.

And some pictures of the little guys for your viewing pleasure, of course :)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
of those I know who have raised an A.versicolor from a sling, the best way of hydration and a humidity comes from misting the web vs. the enclosure.

SunSchein89

Arachnopeon
Cool, thanks for the extra info. They literally just got put in there maybe an hour or two ago, so no web to speak of yet :D.

Edit: I was also going to find some water bottle caps and put them on top of the substrate with a little bit of water. I've heard that can help with humidity and hydration as well, anybody have opinions on that method in addition to occasional misting of web/side of enclosure?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Cool, thanks for the extra info. They literally just got put in there maybe an hour or two ago, so no web to speak of yet :D.

Edit: I was also going to find some water bottle caps and put them on top of the substrate with a little bit of water. I've heard that can help with humidity and hydration as well, anybody have opinions on that method in addition to occasional misting of web/side of enclosure?
I have never owned a versi, but it'll begin webbing before you know it, lol.

Also just search the forums and research deaths of versi slings.

SunSchein89

Arachnopeon
Good idea... did a lot of lurking on other forums before I bought them, but I got excited to post on here since this was the only one I signed up for lol. I'm normally a firm believer in the search function, just got ahead of myself I suppose.

energizer2010

Arachnopeon
whatever you do. Do not use a regular light bulb for heating. I know someone who did cause his heat lamp went out and it cooked the poor lil fella

Embers To Ashes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would not use any form of a water dish intill he/she gets about a 1 inch LS. The little guy could drown in a bottle cap. Just mist his web lightly and he will lick up the little droplets.

SunSchein89

Arachnopeon
K, no water dish yet, sounds good... I do have some water cubes (no calcium) that I could throw in a cap, or should I just not bother with the extra water source?

I also wasn't planning on adding any supplemental heat for them. I live in TX, so I will be battling keeping the room cool enough pretty soon.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
K, no water dish yet, sounds good... I do have some water cubes (no calcium) that I could throw in a cap, or should I just not bother with the extra water source?

I also wasn't planning on adding any supplemental heat for them. I live in TX, so I will be battling keeping the room cool enough pretty soon.
if your talking about water cubes like the stuff they give crickets it's useless to T's

SunSchein89

Arachnopeon
if your talking about water cubes like the stuff they give crickets it's useless to T's
I've actually heard people recommend using it (not that I'm doubting you). My ex used to keep a rose hair and would put water cubes in that I think I remember seeing the tarantula "drink" from.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Well, I think I got all the info I need really. Just be nice if a few versicolor owners would tell me if the cage looks like the right size and if it should provide enough ventilation or not ;). I know they can just up and die and I'd really like to know off the bat that I'm doing everything properly and it wouldn't be my fault if it happened.

SunSchein89

Arachnopeon
Both have already eaten a cricket and one has already started webbing :D. Seems like a good sign in my book.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I would not use any form of a water dish intill he/she gets about a 1 inch LS. The little guy could drown in a bottle cap. Just mist his web lightly and he will lick up the little droplets.
How exactly would a waterproof tarantula drown? It's nearly impossible at any size. This is actually a great method to keep humidity up. I WOULD (and do) use a bottle cap at that size - although I know it is not actually necessary to do so.

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
How exactly would a waterproof tarantula drown? It's nearly impossible at any size. This is actually a great method to keep humidity up. I WOULD (and do) use a bottle cap at that size - although I know it is not actually necessary to do so.
Versicolors are waterproof?

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wish my A.metallica would start webbing shes ate and drank but no webbing yet oh well hopefully she will soon :D Congrats on the versis though :)

Rue

Arachnoknight
Looks fine to me...but if you have issues let me know by Tuesday please.

You know where to find me...;P

Lolita

Arachnoknight
I've actually heard people recommend using it (not that I'm doubting you). My ex used to keep a rose hair and would put water cubes in that I think I remember seeing the tarantula "drink" from.
you could have been seeing a tarantula trying to drink from it but from what i've read/heard they can't drink that way and using it just provides a places for mold/bacteria. you are far better off using a bottle cap that you overflow for watering/humidity help also if your worried about drowning your T toss a few pebbles in the bottle cap before you put the water in. as far as ventilation goes you should be good i only ever had an adult versi and now a A metallica sling so i can't really advice on versi slings since i've never had one but since their care is similiar to metillica's i'd say your on the right track

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I only have holes on the top it made sling's container and both are doing just fine :)

SunSchein89

Arachnopeon
Ok cool, set up is good then :). That was my main concern. It seems the abundance of ventilation evaporates the water pretty quickly, but I'm ok with misting once or twice more a week to give them better ventilation.... just gotta hunt down some bottle caps and tiny pebbles now. Hopefully the little water pool will help.

One last question... as far as feeding, I only have constant access to the small crickets at petco. I normally buy a bunch, so I'll end up with a good few tiny ones mixed in there, but they're still nearly the size of the tarantula. Would two of that size be sufficient for a week's worth of feeding? I can start breeding fruit flies again if you guys think that would help, but would prefer not to.

Rue said:
Looks fine to me...but if you have issues let me know by Tuesday please.

You know where to find me...
Hi Rue! Nice to see a familiar face...err... username :D

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Versicolors are waterproof?
Virtually . . . unless they come in contact with soap (I realize they aren't actually waterproof, but it's an easier way to explain it). At that size, I'm pretty confident it could "walk on water" if it needed to. Regardless, to drown, it would have to be unable to get it's backside out of the water since that's where the booklungs are located - and since they don't actually "breathe" - it would have to be submerged for a good while - even a sling could easily crawl out of a bottle cap long before it would ever drown.

Last edited:

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
Virtually . . . unless they come in contact with soap (I realize they aren't acutally waterproof, but it's an easier way to explain it). At that size, I'm pretty confident it could "walk on water" if it needed to. Regardless, to drown, it would have to be unable to get it's backside out of the water since that's where the booklungs are located - and since they don't actually "breathe" - it would have to be submerged for a good while - even a sling could easily crawl out of a bottle cap long before it would ever drown.
I see. Thanks for explaining. :)