I've got the T fever

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Went out today and purchased a large adult female P. regalis(indian ornamental).An absolutley stunning "T".Setup with some spagnum/peat/verm for substrate,a large peice of cork and a couple artificial plants and it's truly a sight to see.I also purchased an adult female A.bicoloratum(mexican bloodleg).Another beautiful "T".Setup in a 10 gallon tank with a couple inches peat/verm/cactus soil mix with a couple of retreats and she's quite content.She had just molted and I got her casing/shell(??) along with her.The owner just had a shipment of "T's" arrive.In it was a severely emaciated female H.lividum.Her abdomen is like a shriveled little sac..more how a shriveled raisin looks like.He gave it to me free.He thought it wouldn't make it.Got it home into a warm humid tank with a burrow.She immediately,very slowly crawled down the burrow to which I am able to see into.I dropped a cricket down the borrow.She nailed it right off.An hr later I dropped down a huge silkworm.Again she nailed it right away.I think she was also very thirsty.I could see her drinking the water droplets off the glass.I think she'll pull through.She's a definite fighter for sure.Nothing a little TLC won't fix.I got the fever bad..lol...peace..

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
get the shrivley-Ts over some water ASAP!

as for the tanks, sounds nice, but you don't neccesarily need many hiding spots for the T's... as is the case with MANY MANY people who went out and bought a lot of stuff for the cage, only to get it all home and find out the T wants a cracked flower pot -- But who knows -- we'll see....

There's a whole school of T keepers who also believe that T's feel safer in smaller cages, for they feel like the whole cage is their own private hideout...

who knows, but good luck!
the regalis is an amazing spider!

peace,
dave

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
doing better

Well 3 crickets and a silkworm later,along with lots to drink my H.lividum seems to be doing alright.Her abdomen has swelled out,is nice and round but still quite small.Her legs seem quite spindly and her carapace seems quite thin.Is this characteristic of cobalts,or is it still a sign of malnutrition/dehydration.I think she's going to be alright.She's out of her burrow and moving around...quicker,stronger and smoother than yesterday.Looked like she was a little drunk yesterday by her wobbly walking.She even reared up once when I was putting a cricket into the tank....peace.....

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Glad to hear she is doing better. Sound like at first the poor thing didn't even have enough fluid in it's body to even walk right. Sounds like you're on the right track with the food and the water for it. As for it rearing up at you, I would just expect that out of any cobalt. Good Luck!

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good luck with the Cobalt, Its next on my list.

Chid

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: doing better

Originally posted by pelo
Her legs seem quite spindly and her carapace seems quite thin.Is this characteristic of cobalts,or is it still a sign of malnutrition/dehydration.
All the cobalts I have seen have rather thin legs in comparison to their prosoma. Also, I have lost one of these to what appeared to be dessication, and though the abdomen looked like yours.. I don't believe that T's legs shrivel from dehydration.. they just stop working as well. Figure, if the legs on an exuvia will hold up, then even with half the normal amount of hydration, the legs on a living T should look the same.

Bill