Itty bitty P ornata

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
P.o. # 2 rehousing goes smoothly

Hey y'all, Had much work to do today but the air went out last night :mad::wall:. The apt is very hot and I couldn't sleep so gonna do that tomorrow. They'll be here to fix it sometime after lunch, thank God. :cool:

I decided to go ahead with the rehousing of P.o.# 2, along with other t related maintenance this morning. I've now moved it from it's 3.75"x 2.5" cube into a cylindrical 6" x 4" 1 liter container.

I brought the two enclosures out into an open area in short bermudagrass in the front yard. I opened the cube and pulled on the piece of bark at the top of the burrow. Sure enough, the little one rapidly exited the burrow, ran up the enclosure wall, across my hand to the back of my arm, then onto my shoulder before I could blink. I put my right hand up to my shoulder to goad it back down. The spider ran back down the back of my arm, then jumped into the grass and tucked itself firmly in a ball between clumps of thatch at the base. I parted the short grass, prodding it back onto my hand. It jumped again, burrowing into the grass. Finally, with third time charm it sat in my hand momentarily before leaping into the new enclosure.

Briefly admiring it on my hand in the sunlight, I was amazed by the intricate patterning of the opisthosoma, the reddish hairs, and noted that the prosoma now has a faint greenish tinge. The colors definitely show better in natural sunlight as opposed to the dim lighting of the t room or led flashlight. I again estimate the dls as slightly over 2.5". This is one BEAUTIFUL sp!......and :eek: are they fast in more than one way! :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Been treating em with a pint of papa's recipe kiped from the Baldwin sisters...

Nah, but seriously, I'm pretty sure the accelerated growth of all my t's has been a result of my secret formula made up of the following ingredients, including but not limited to aspirin, anadrol, sustanon, A1 (yes, the sauce), gummy bears, quinine, phenylalanine, limousine (the car, not the cow)............;)
Oh well shoot.. I was feeding the samething to mine.. Minus the limo of course.. I think that was the part of your secret you failed to tell me at first.. {D
Hey y'all, Had much work to do today but the air went out last night :mad::wall:. The apt is very hot and I couldn't sleep so gonna do that tomorrow. They'll be here to fix it sometime after lunch, thank God. :cool:

I decided to go ahead with the rehousing of P.o.# 2, along with other t related maintenance this morning. I've now moved it from it's 3.75"x 2.5" cube into a cylindrical 6" x 4" 1 liter container.

I brought the two enclosures out into an open area in short bermudagrass in the front yard. I opened the cube and pulled on the piece of bark at the top of the burrow. Sure enough, the little one rapidly exited the burrow, ran up the enclosure wall, across my hand to the back of my arm, then onto my shoulder before I could blink. I put my right hand up to my shoulder to goad it back down. The spider ran back down the back of my arm, then jumped into the grass and tucked itself firmly in a ball between clumps of thatch at the base. I parted the short grass, prodding it back onto my hand. It jumped again, burrowing into the grass. Finally, with third time charm it sat in my hand momentarily before leaping into the new enclosure.

Briefly admiring it on my hand in the sunlight, I was amazed by the intricate patterning of the opisthosoma, the reddish hairs, and noted that the prosoma now has a faint greenish tinge. The colors definitely show better in natural sunlight as opposed to the dim lighting of the t room or led flashlight. I again estimate the dls as slightly over 2.5". This is one BEAUTIFUL sp!......and :eek: are they fast in more than one way! :)
Yeap.. It is official.. You got more balls than I do.. I have yet to bring myself to holding the pokies.. LoL!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Oh well shoot.. I was feeding the samething to mine.. Minus the limo of course.. {D

:?.....and leaving out the most important part. {D

Yeap.. It is official.. You got more balls than I do.. I have yet to bring myself to holding the pokies.. LoL!
Trust me. The first handling wasn't intentional {D- and I couldn't figure out a way to do it this 2nd time for fear of smashing the t with a cup due to it's speed.:eek:. I still plan on interacting with 'em a little more, though. I will definitely take them outside beforehand due to the small working area inside and ample supply of crevices, though.:)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
possible danger averted.

Update, P o #2 looked really unhappy, even sick in the enclosure yesterday- balled up with legs retracted. It would move just a little if touched but stayed balled up and appeared very sluggish. I used a new small piece of curved bark that was cleaned, boiled and dried. Since I've been using the same peat from the beginning, I figured the piece of bark could be the only trouble. Just in case, I transferred it briefly to a small container, washed his new container thoroughly and replaced the peat. He was sprawled out on the new bark later that eve and took a mm cricket. He looked fairly slim this evening so I offered another- to my amazement, he took that one as well! ;P

Work was grueling today. I counted no less than 4 female and 1 male large orange sulphur butterflies visiting Lantana camara, Salvia coccinea, and cypress-vine in an awesome yard that I work once a week in. The freaky thing about that is we're talking Shreveport, La :eek:. Not Brownsville, Tx.

Beunas noches, :D

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
P.o. 2 izza strange one!

update- and rather late at that. P.o #4 molted on 09-19. All now take ad female crix with ease. I would almost bet P.o. 2"s total dls is 3". It finally settled in to the enclosure and webbed up it's new hide several days ago. It remained acting strange even after the previous 2 feedings, entirely curling up in a skittish/fetal position on the sub on the floor of the container right out in the open. I was initially a little worried but all appears well. These li'l guys look skinny a day after they eat. Nevertheless, I wait at least another day or two after that to feed them. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
update- and rather late at that. P.o #4 molted on 09-19. All now take ad female crix with ease. I would almost bet P.o. 2"s total dls is 3". It finally settled in to the enclosure and webbed up it's new hide several days ago. It remained acting strange even after the previous 2 feedings, entirely curling up in a skittish/fetal position on the sub on the floor of the container right out in the open. I was initially a little worried but all appears well. These li'l guys look skinny a day after they eat. Nevertheless, I wait at least another day or two after that to feed them. :)
Congrats Terry! I have been able to confirm sex on one of mine.. I think maybe 2 actually..

The largest being 3".. Is a male.. I am 100% certain of that..
The next to largest almost 3".. I "think" is female.. Though.. Im not 100% certain yet.. Will confirm on the next molt..

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tommy and Terry!!!!! Stop holding out on the camera and ruler.... Let's see some pic boys!!!!!;P

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congrats Terry! I have been able to confirm sex on one of mine.. I think maybe 2 actually..

The largest being 3".. Is a male.. I am 100% certain of that..
The next to largest almost 3".. I "think" is female.. Though.. Im not 100% certain yet.. Will confirm on the next molt..
Great man!! :clap: Looks like we may be getting closer to that pairing. Ventrally, I'll admit I haven't tried but in terms of overall shape.......*buzzer*- and no cigar since certainly not consistent enough to use- I'm thinking male for P.o2 and female for 3 and 4. We'll see.............:)

Tommy and Terry!!!!! Stop holding out on the camera and ruler.... Let's see some pic boys!!!!!;P
I need a card reader first. So much time....so little to do! Wait... that's sdrawkcab! {D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually think I have pictures on my computer somewhere.. "I think!" Let me lok around.. I will get some up.. ;)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looking forward to 'em....wanna see 'em sit, roll over- THE WORKS!! :clap:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here they are..

Not the best though.. I had to use my old crappy Sony CyberShot..

Thought this one was cute.. :D

Some others..

The ones that had the tape sucked.. So those are out for now..

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice!! Looking BIG!! I like how the gold banding and reddish hairs stand out! :clap:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:eek:Dude those are amazing:eek:
They really are! I suggest getting one when you feel you are ready.. The ornata has to be one of my fave pokie! :D
Nice!! Looking BIG!! I like how the gold banding and reddish hairs stand out! :clap:
They really are gorgeous.. :) I cant wait until they grow..

The one in the photo is the male.. So I wont bee feeding him so heavy.. :eek:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They really are! I suggest getting one when you feel you are ready.. The ornata has to be one of my fave pokie! :D
Well Joey. I guess it's official. You can't stop now.....:p

They really are gorgeous.. :) I cant wait until they grow..

The one in the photo is the male.. So I wont bee feeding him so heavy.. :eek:

:eek: x50 regarding my feeding schedules for these. The time to slow is rapidly approaching. :)

Somehow I really messed up my reply in the post here.........0-:

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love my wee ornata! He's actually pretty gentle, but we'll see how long it lasts.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Abra, Glad you're able to spend more time handling yours. I don't have room and don't want to chance an escape. I've only intentionally tried twice when rehoming- while outside. They seem skittish, but zero on the defensive moves so far. :)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, I've only handled him when he's gotten away from me. He runs like hell, but he can be coaxed onto my hand rather easily, and then he'll just sit there. He's a strange little one, I can't quite describe him...

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 3 baby 2" p ornatas. There exactly like your explaining them. Huge eaters I feed them large superworms which they can take down without much struggle most times. I'm just afraid to get tagged.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually, I've only handled him when he's gotten away from me. He runs like hell, but he can be coaxed onto my hand rather easily, and then he'll just sit there. He's a strange little one, I can't quite describe him...
NO WAY!! P ornata now joining the ranks in strangeness aside G rosea. Something must be done! Actually, I kinda agree :eek:

I have 3 baby 2" p ornatas. There exactly like your explaining them. Huge eaters I feed them large superworms which they can take down without much struggle most times. I'm just afraid to get tagged.
When I first got mine, they did not seem prey-aggressive- quite the contrary. It didn't take long for that to change.........{D. I'm with ya on that last sentence. Not really a fear, but a healthy enough respect not to go poking my fingers inside the enlosure, especially near the hide. I'll have to admit I grit my teeth a little when they've run up my arm, though! First defensive posturing and there'll be no more of that- if it's not too late at said time {D