Itty bitty P ornata

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tommy, Yep, 4 little ones. I'll wager with that no. we won't have much of a problem.

Jason, You did great!!

Terry

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all,

Well I just got my healthy lil' P ornata slings in from Jason (protectyaaaneck) :clap:. Man, they're fast little dudes :eek:. I've noticed they sit "pokie-stanced" all the time- immediately saw the reason behind the description . Wow! One thing that really stands out is that the front legs look proportionately longer in person than from photos. They're also nearly invisible on the peat. Sorry, no photos now :( but will keep y'all updated on progress and more photos at a later date in my photo or other threads. Cheers,

:)

Terry
I just got my first pokies too! I got a P. regalis and two P. ornatas... so far, so good!

The regalis is so gorgeous... zomg.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, No takers on the partial crix for several hours so I purchased some small 1/3" crix. Worked like a charm almost immediately for 3 of them- haven't checked on the 4th which hadn't eaten after an hour or so. No more undue disturbances. I'll check them tomorrow. :)

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They pigged out

well, They I'm 95% positive they finished off the small the crix. The slings pretty much stay buried in the sub. Interesting! 10", here we come! {D

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
P.o #2 molts

Update- amazing, at that. There's an exuvium hanging in a newly constructed web in Po2's enclosure this a.m. Dang, that was fast from molting into 2nd instar on 7-08! All other enclosures except #1 have webbing as well this afternoon but no skins visible yet. Interesting :)

Terry

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update- amazing, at that. There's an exuvium hanging in a newly constructed web in Po2's enclosure this a.m. Dang, that was fast from molting into 2nd instar on 7-08! All other enclosures except #1 have webbing as well this afternoon but no skins visible yet. Interesting :)

Terry
Very cool.. Congrats.. None of my four have molted yet.. I am asuming they will very soon.. All of them have been refusing to eat for the past week.. So.. Soon.. :D

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tommy, You bet!

I saw one of the slings briefly on the surface day before yesterday. Looked full as a tick! {D

Terry

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, that was really fast. None of mine have started to molt yet. :?

Either way, congrats on the molt. Glad they are doing well. :)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Jason, They've been near the top of the shelf which is around 85- slightly+ during the day. I gave 'em a mealworm a day after the tiny cricket. So far no activity at all in enclosure #1- gettin' a little worried. Just checked and saw that # 3 and 4" were out but appear shiny/ not yet molted. Cheers,

Terry

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jason, They've been near the top of the shelf which is around 85- slightly+ during the day. I gave 'em a mealworm a day after the tiny cricket. So far no activity at all in enclosure #1- gettin' a little worried. Just checked and saw that # 3 and 4" were out but appear shiny/ not yet molted. Cheers,

Terry

Ahh, your temps might be a little warmer than mine.

I wouldn't worry about the one in enclosure #1 as long as it has eaten. Some of mine haven't done anything in their enclosures yet but have eaten plenty so I'm not really worried. The shiny abdomen is a good sign they will molt real soon.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine are kept at 82 degrees night & day.. I have to keep a fan going in the room to keep them cool.. I went in my room to find the temps at 93 degrees the other night.. AT NIGHT! How the heck is my critter room 93 degress?

No worries now.. The fan is keeping it at a constant temp.. :)

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seeing as I am still a newbie :D could someone please explain the instar stuff to me ?? :?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seeing as I am still a newbie :D could someone please explain the instar stuff to me ?? :?
Its when they molt... Here is how a spiders life goes..

Egg > Egg with legs > 1st instar > 2nd instar > 3rd instar... So on & so fourth.. After each molt they are on the next instar...

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow, These things grow fast!! :clap: #2 may well be 2"-at least 1.75"- has already enjoyed another meal 2 days ago. #4 finally molted yesterday. #3 has yet to molt but looks ready to pop anytime. I'm very worried about #1. I'm going to check on it a little more thoroughly this evening. No webbing or movement noticeable within enclosure since shortly after getting them :confused:.

The P ornata don't eat comparatively near as much as their landlubber counterparts. My small pulchra were .5" in March and would eat a half-grown cricket every two to three days. They now take mature male crickets at the same intervals except in premolt and occasionally an adult female for #6 and #7. The largest of the 3 is not quite a firm 2" yet! ;)

Terry

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
They're definitely not itty bitty. Mine seem huge to me for their "age." I totally dig them. Awesome T's for sure.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Wow, These things grow fast!! :clap: #2 may well be 2"-at least 1.75"- has already enjoyed another meal 2 days ago. #4 finally molted yesterday. #3 has yet to molt but looks ready to pop anytime. I'm very worried about #1. I'm going to check on it a little more thoroughly this evening. No webbing or movement noticeable within enclosure since shortly after getting them :confused:.

The P ornata don't eat comparatively near as much as their landlubber counterparts. My small pulchra were .5" in March and would eat a half-grown cricket every two to three days. They now take mature male crickets at the same intervals except in premolt and occasionally an adult female for #6 and #7. The largest of the 3 is not quite a firm 2" yet! ;)

Terry
I wouldn't worry too much, Terry. Pokies tend to hide a lot as slings. I didn't see my formosa sling for 3 weeks after gettting it, then it came out to eat a few times, molted, and now it's out all the time. Give #1 some time. It'll come around. Out of the two ornata I got from Jason, one is out of it's "sling burrow" more than the other. Each T is different, as you know.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Toni, Yes, certainly not itty bitty in reference to dls.

+1. They're awesome.

I'd imagine everythings gonna be okay. Thanks

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.o. #1 & P.o. #2 both have molted for me.. Wow! They grew alot! You & Toni keep talk about how big y'alls are.. Lets see some pictures... :D