Is watching your tarantula relaxing for you?

Is watching your tarantula relaxing for you?

• Yes

Votes: 55 93.2%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don´t know

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
I just wondered if keeping and watching Ts is a meditiative/relaxing activity for you? I often catch myself at work wondering about the wellbeing of my Ts and their activity. I know it´s kind of strange but even if I come home and see that they basically didn´t move I still get enjoyment out of watching them sitting there and doing nothing. Can you relate?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Absolutely. I'm always amazed at how beautiful and fascinating they are, even if they're just sitting there or poking their legs out of their burrow. Especially if I've had a grueling day at work, coming home to a tarantula that's active and showing some natural behavior always improves my mood. It's like having a slice of nature in my home.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I think the process of feeding/watering/maintaining provides a certain amount of relaxation. I also take lots of photos, while I'm doing those things, so that makes it that much more enjoyable. If I catch them moulting, or cleaning themselves, I like to watch them for a little while. It's fascinating.

PGRVII

Arachnosquire
I just wondered if keeping and watching Ts is a meditiative/relaxing activity for you? I often catch myself at work wondering about the wellbeing of my Ts and their activity. I know it´s kind of strange but even if I come home and see that they basically didn´t move I still get enjoyment out of watching them sitting there and doing nothing. Can you relate?
Alot of my evening is spent waiting to see them,my P.metallica,Pradesha,she likes to wander out late,so we usually have a 3am meet up. 😂
I think theyre quite different in that they are so quiet and still,it is a nice change of pace from how the bulk of us operate.
So I would say for me,definitely relaxing.

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Definitely!, it’s also slightly distracting and relaxing at the same time when I’m trying to write and research papers. I’m always catching the slings that stay on my desk webbing and cleaning themselves and it’s so mesmerizing!

Eukio

Arachnosquire
Not really. Unless they are doing something, it is more of a situation of, "Oh, the tarantula is alive," and I go and do my thing.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Honestly, I get them specifically because they are fascinating and relaxing. I love taking care of them and watching them do spider stuff. They can just be sitting there being fat pet rocks and I'd feel relaxed seeing them.

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
Absolutely. I'm always amazed at how beautiful and fascinating they are, even if they're just sitting there or poking their legs out of their burrow. Especially if I've had a grueling day at work, coming home to a tarantula that's active and showing some natural behavior always improves my mood. It's like having a slice of nature in my home.
I think the process of feeding/watering/maintaining provides a certain amount of relaxation. I also take lots of photos, while I'm doing those things, so that makes it that much more enjoyable. If I catch them moulting, or cleaning themselves, I like to watch them for a little while. It's fascinating.
Honestly, I get them specifically because they are fascinating and relaxing. I love taking care of them and watching them do spider stuff. They can just be sitting there being fat pet rocks and I'd feel relaxed seeing them.
I can relate, it is a little bit of zen for me in busy times. Every time I look at them, i can observe another part of their body i have overlooked.

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Absolutely! I watch my T´s daily (15-30min). When I watch them, my brain stops thinking! You can say it´s my Yoga=)!

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, it!s my way of chilling out after a rough day at work. I can literally stand in front of their cages and gawk at them for minutes, often hours. Even if they don't move a whole lot, just the sight of them is enough to make me forget my worries.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think a more important question to all those who voted Yes is "How do you know? Have you measured your heart rate and bp?
If you haven't, then none of you technically know.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can always count on my man, @viper69 !
The brain is an incredibly powerful placebo.

I didn't even mention chem tests for stress level biomarkers ;)

I read a book once about split personalities in a patient. The patient's different personalities had different corrective vision scripts, YET the person didn't actually need any glasses at all.

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
I am kind of an easily stressed person but watching my tarantulas is very relaxing. I often forget about my stresses for awhile , and I love building enclosures for them and documenting how they change them up . Super fascinating

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
The thing I like most about this hobby is that there are NOT a lot of over the counter products readily available. If you want products & items for your spiders, you can pay an arm & a leg for it...or you can craft it yourself

I like the build it yourself option

25EA985C-A204-4026-9962-2A6D45A42890.jpeg

Last edited:

Chroma Trigger

Brachypelma Collector
Arachnosupporter +
IMO it's definitely relaxing and I always find it crazy how time flies when you are watching or feeding them. Crafting enclosures can also be a fun part of the hobby... as peaceful as gardening :)