Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

GUSTAV

Arachnopeon
This POECILOTHERIA ORNATA is 12cm long.IS IT MALE OR FEMALE??????:wall:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks rather female to me but hard to say just from pics.got any ventral shots?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
turn it bottoms up....if you look directly above the top book lungs (with the spider's head facing the ceiling) if you see a black half circle...its going to be a male....

GUSTAV

Arachnopeon
No I dont have.IS IT RIGHT THAT ORNATA FEMALE HAVE WHITE STRIPE ON ABDOMEN NOT LIKE ONE ON MY PICTYRE - ZIG ZAG?????????

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Male ornatas seem to have a much darker area inside the white stripe than females. I don't know if that's always the case, but I would guess just from the pic it's a male.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its also still small, only 3" roughly. I would not say for sure male or female at this stage, especially a species that grows to 8" you still have a while.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I can't see anything in that spider that says "female", maybe it is and will show more obvious signs later. But I don't see anything convincing in this photograph (of course everyone's got a 50/50 shot with any answer they give).

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just guessing but yours looks more female to me its markings are not that washed out looking

GUSTAV

Arachnopeon
It's a FEMALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like a Juvenile female rufilata in my opinion but ornatas and rufilatas do look a little similar. Although rufilatas keep the darkened abdominal markings as adults.

-EDIT-

Never mind after looking at the carapace Identification sheet I stand corrected. It is however still female.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Someone please tell me how they are getting male or female? I am not getting how you guys are doing that. I have a few confirmed of both sexes, and Looking at that one dark picture tells me squat.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On most pokies you can look at the abdomen and see the black zigzag, if it has a lot of white around it then its most likely female. This is what someone told me although I have my doubts.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Someone please tell me how they are getting male or female? I am not getting how you guys are doing that. I have a few confirmed of both sexes, and Looking at that one dark picture tells me squat.
Look at the picture below.

The two spots that I have circled tell me it is a girl.

The stripe has a very light break in it. Males keep a very dark almost completely black stripe. The carapace on most males have very little to no coloring on it. This one has a deep black looking carapace. Now it is not 100% but if I was to place money on it I would say female just by that.

To the OP if you do not want me to use your picture just pm me and I will remove it.

Attachments

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you have a female there male have a purple colour to them , look at this males carapace the females have a grey white colour not pinkie purple like males and the males show differant colours at around 2inch

Attachments