Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

advan

oOOo
Staff member
That's a girl. Didn't even need the vent. ;)

You guys need to get off the whole folio sexing on juvie to sub adult Poecilotheria.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i agree 100% folio isnt at all what i look for (especially with ornata)

Chad, can ALL poeci be sexed by coloration and carapace fairly accurately, or is ornata just super easy? I think its cool that you dont even need a molt or vent shot to determine these guys gender once theyre around 3"

advan

oOOo
Staff member
i agree 100% folio isnt at all what i look for (especially with ornata)

Chad, can ALL poeci be sexed by coloration and carapace fairly accurately, or is ornata just super easy? I think its cool that you dont even need a molt or vent shot to determine these guys gender once theyre around 3"
IME only P. ornata.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kind of thought so. Aside from P. ornatas, P. regalis is the only other Poeci sp. ive owned SO FAR.. got some plans for a subfusca, and would really like a couple more some day

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a girl. Didn't even need the vent. ;)

You guys need to get off the whole folio sexing on juvie to sub adult Poecilotheria.
I still think it is relatively accurate. Use it on mine all the time, combined with carapace markings. It is definately easier when you have a few spiders and can compare juvies or sub adults to each other.
I personally hate ventral sexing. I can show you males that you will say are female from ventral pics, especially formosa's.

With ornata a combination of carapace markings and folio will get you an accurate sexing. Problem with ventral I find, is the quality of pics. In person it might be easier, but most pics you cant tell much accurately.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I still think it is relatively accurate. Use it on mine all the time, combined with carapace markings. It is definately easier when you have a few spiders and can compare juvies or sub adults to each other.
I personally hate ventral sexing. I can show you males that you will say are female from ventral pics, especially formosa's.

With ornata a combination of carapace markings and folio will get you an accurate sexing. Problem with ventral I find, is the quality of pics. In person it might be easier, but most pics you cant tell much accurately.
The problem with the dark folio stripe is it seems some on here lately will see a dark folio pattern and automatically assume it's male when in fact it's a juvenile female Poecilotheria and the folio hasn't begun to lighten up yet. That's all I was pointing out.

I think ventral sexing is pretty easy on Poecilotheria but some do have a weird stage at around 2". You need to be looking for a furrow not just a white slit. ;)

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why do you think so? Not trying to argue but I have a Ornata sling that looks like the one posted above, so I was just wondering.
Lighter folio and the carapace colouration.
Raised a good few of these over the years, so pick up the tell tale signs over time. :)

When they are still small it is harder to see, but as they grow, the differences become more pronounced.

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
To me that looks dark in color but you give me hope that mine is a female thank you.

Lighter folio and the carapace colouration.
Raised a good few of these over the years, so pick up the tell tale signs over time. :)

When they are still small it is harder to see, but as they grow, the differences become more pronounced.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1. Coming into this late in the game, but I totally agree with Chad. You can easily get all tangled up in sexing by folio, or even carapace colors, as this thread has proven (I read through the whole thing, OMG). I vent sex all my Poecs and can do almost all of them starting at about 1 1/2" (I might be able to do it smaller if my eyes were better). Much more reliable across the board. I just think it makes more sense to look at sex organs rather than secondary sexual characteristics. Of course this post was started years ago and maybe most people are up to speed now on vent sexing.