Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by GUSTAV, Mar 29, 2007.

1. varucu

varucu Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    hi guys, can you take a look here also? thanks

2. Paladin

Paladin Arachnobaron Old Timer

[​IMG]

this is one of noexcuse's slings, any ideas?

Size: about 3" I cannot find my ruler for the life of me.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  3. Post a ventral shot.

4. Paladin

Ill see what I can do,my lighting is terrible and the flash washes things out.

Let's seeeeeeeee

[​IMG]

5. 100% male.

6. Paladin

Is it the off-white "button that is the dead give away?

7. I am not sure what you are trying to describe, but if you are talking about the notch above the furrow with the dark hairs in a half moon shape then yes it is a dead give away.

There is a picture I posted above with red lines pointing to what you look for on a male, your male is identical.

8. Paladin

Here are photos of a 5" individual I received from a reputable dealer and sold to me as female. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you.

Eric

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. AudreyElizabeth

AudreyElizabeth Arachnodemon Old Timer

Looks female to me. What species is it?

10. _bob_

_bob_ Arachnobaron Old Timer

Thats a female

11. Paladin

It is a P. ornata about a month from its last molt. And as you can tell it likes to eat ;)

12. AudreyElizabeth

AudreyElizabeth Arachnodemon Old Timer

I can tell. She is very beautiful. I think that this thread is really helpful for sexing poecs.

13. Ludedor24

Ludedor24 FangzTv Arachnosupporter

NJ
    Was wondering if my friends ornata was male or female not the best shot I know but still (it just molted and didnt want to go poking at it)

ornata.jpg

14. le-thomas

le-thomas Arachnobaron

Looks male.

15. hamhock 74

hamhock 74 Arachnobaron

If it molted recently then sex the molt, it is much more accurate than sexing via folio stripe.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  16. i agree with hamhock.. should have checked the molt.. my money goes to FEMALE on this one. Way lighter carapace and more vivid coloring than males. I bet the folio will lighten up IMMENSELY with the next molt or two as well..

17. Ludedor24

NJ
    I would of but the molt got destoryed so this (aside from just a ventral shot) is all i have to go off of atm....

18. poeci seem to LOVE mangling molts. it drives me crazy.
    Still sticking with my guess, but we all know that coloration and pics is NOT a great way to sex or id a t. If you DO have a ventral try to post that as well.. males and females are PAINFULLY different. I have both gender of this sp. and see them a LOT, so i can surely give you a better idea

19. Ceratogyrus

Ceratogyrus Arachnobaron Old Timer

That's a female, no doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ludedor24

NJ
    Here is the ventral of that same ornata ...just to help confirm male or female (keep in mind the abdomen is smaller , it just molted a couple days from this pic)

ornata.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.