Is this POECILOTHERIA ORNATA male or female??

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Looks alittle female to me, but what is the leg span?

4" or more, male and female look almost Identical ventrally.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I gotta say female.... check out this picture of one of my males that is about 3" or so...

Flow

Arachnopeon
Hi guys.

Can anyone tell me? Is this a male of female P. Ornata? He, or she is about 3 inch.

Thanks

Flow

Arachnopeon
What' s wrong with the carapace? It has black lines...? Please explain...:)

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's nothing 'wrong' with the carapace, hon! It's the color. There's no break in the coloration, all the way to the edges. If there were white (ish) coloration between the center pattern and the edge - I would be thinking he was a 'she'. Instead, it's the same drab brown (ish) all the way out from the center pattern. :)
It's not necessarily a bad thing to have a male. You can always send him out on the dating rounds and get back lots of slings! :clap:

This is not a very scientific method of sexing, but it works most of the time. If I were shopping for a female specifically; and unable to sex from a molt or even ventrally - I would pass this one up.

Flow

Arachnopeon
Is this it? I don't exactly know what "ventral shot" means:wall: I'm from Slovenia :} So I hope this is the right one. :}

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:wall: Not again! Thanks:) How can you see it's a male?
See the dark spot my top three lines lines point to? That is not present in a female. Plus the epigastric furrow on a male is closed off looking (my bottom line points to that) and not a straight line. Females have a nice neat line for a furrow. Hope this helps some.

Last edited: