Is my tarantula a curly hair nicaragua or hondura?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You've got a Nicaraguan. Here's a hobby form, pretty easy to tell apart on this species.

IMG_1687.JPG

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Wow. I don't know that I've seen any but the hobby form. Seen side by side one looks sleek & murderous, the other kinda...derpy.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thread with pictures of the two forms:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/wild-caught-brachypelma-albopilosum-from-nicaragua.280413/page-3

@EulersK
Are you sure? The bristles look shorter than the Nicaraguan form, especially when comparing them to the pics of Philth in the above thread.
Judging by the bristles is quite a hard way to go about things because of how they photograph, I've found. My girl is quite a bit "hairier" than she shows up in pictures, no really sure why that would happen.
IMG_1683.JPG

I'm finding a bit of talk on the "Dark form" Honduran B. albopilosum, but absolutely no mention of them ever being imported... anywhere. So while they do apparently exist, I don't think that they've ever been present in the hobby. I could very well be wrong in this - @Exoskeleton Invertebrates, do you know of that form being imported? As far as I know, the only true B. albopilosum readily accessible in the hobby right now is the Nicaraguan import.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
It looks like everything posted here is a hobby form form Honduras, Costa Rica, mutt/inbred. There are some exceptionally curly hobby forms but the give away is just how very fluffy and how curly the abdomen setae is. Carapace color seems to vary somewhat in both.

Female Nicaraguan import (premolt color)
2016-05-21 14.37.20.jpg

Freshly molted female hobby form
2016-11-29 09.55.06.jpg

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Judging by the bristles is quite a hard way to go about things because of how they photograph, I've found. My girl is quite a bit "hairier" than she shows up in pictures, no really sure why that would happen.
View attachment 232129

I'm finding a bit of talk on the "Dark form" Honduran B. albopilosum, but absolutely no mention of them ever being imported... anywhere. So while they do apparently exist, I don't think that they've ever been present in the hobby. I could very well be wrong in this - @Exoskeleton Invertebrates, do you know of that form being imported? As far as I know, the only true B. albopilosum readily accessible in the hobby right now is the Nicaraguan import.
I'll post photo later today of a few specimens of mine that are the Nicaraguan albopilosum.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like everything posted here is a hobby form form Honduras, Costa Rica, mutt/inbred. There are some exceptionally curly hobby forms but the give away is just how very fluffy and how curly the abdomen setae is. Carapace color seems to vary somewhat in both.

View attachment 232130

View attachment 232131
Second photo looks a bit hairy for a hobby form.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It looks like everything posted here is a hobby form form sta Rica, mutt/inbred. There are some exceptionally curly hobby forms but the give away is just how very fluffy and how curly the abdomen setae is. Carapace color seems to vary somewhat in both.

View attachment 232130

View attachment 232131
Wow, that sure adds to the
confusion...it looks the other way around, first one being hobby form, second one Nicaraguan!

Goes to show pictures aren't reliable for ID-ing species.....

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its a sling I raised over the last 18-24 months, It was not sold as an import, were there slings brought imported in 2015? Pictured T is about 3.5-4"
received on 6/15 @ 2i, molted 7 times by 10/16
The question is how long the Nicaraguan albopilosum wild caught specimens have been around and when was one of the first gravid females dropped a sac?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, that sure adds to the
confusion...it looks the other way around, first one being hobby form, second one Nicaraguan!

Goes to show pictures aren't reliable for ID-ing species.....
I have Nicaraguan females that looked and still look like that from the first photo. His female is in need of a molt.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I have Nicaraguan females that looked and still look like that from the first photo. His female is in need of a molt.
The Nicaraguan female in my post has since molted and looks just like the one Tom (Philth) posted in the thread link. It was purchased last fall at a pet store here in WA that knows it was a Nicaraguan import from Pet Center stock.