Is it possible my B. Smithi likes being handled?

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Hello.
So, here's a thing. I know tarantulas should not be handled, as it is dangerous for them and stressed them out. However, my B. Smithi likes to climb the walls of her enclosure, and anytime i need to feed her or give her water, she'd climb out of the enclosure and go directly on my hand, where she'd proceed to either sit, or wander around very slowly.

I don't ever force her to go on my hand, but she does it herself very often. I know Ts are very very fragile, so any time i open the enclosure it's either on the ground, bed, or table, so she can't fall. The walls of the tank she's in are pretty high so when she climbs out, i offer my hand as a spot to grab onto and walk onto, so she doesn't fall and hurt herself, but once she's on my hand, she doesn't want to go down.

She's overall very calm and docile, she hasn't attacked me once, or bolted away, she's always very calm. Is it possible she enjoys being held? I never handle her for a long time, i always try to get her back home as soon as possible.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
As has been said NO it is instinct, it has become used to your hand being there so it uses it, no other reason, they don't have the ability to "like" as that is emotion, which T's do not possess.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Tarantulas have no proper brain, just nerve clusters. So, probably not.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
However, my B. Smithi likes to climb the walls of her enclosure, and anytime i need to feed her or give her water, she'd climb out of the enclosure and go directly on my hand,
Maybe she don't 'like' being in enclosure, maybe its too moist, too cold, or something. But no, she definitely don't enjoy being handled.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Well at least it doesn't seem to stress your T! You sound to be careful and it's not like you're volunteering for her to come out and wander about on you. I do know there is a strong 'no' to the notion of handling her, but I wouldn't say you're not doing anything wrong. I have hope that the fact that we still know so little about tarantulas means that we can all be surprised in the future one day :)

Who knows? Maybe Ts of today are comparable to the wolves that dogs came from :rolleyes::p

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
YES!!!...well...no.

Honestly, I think we're quick to assume things then again so it's completely possible that they enjoy it BUT the logical answer is no, no, NO.

I don't handle any of my Ts and I don't plan on it but I have had one climb onto me so far in my whole two month experience of keeping them so it does happen if you're comfortable with it and/or complacent.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I'm going to be the one who says that we simply don't know. It really depends on your definition of "like." Spiders can have a preference (wet vs. dry substrate, for instance). Do we consider that "liking" dry substrate? So difficult to answer this question.

But it does bring me to another point: Humans jump out of airplanes all the time. They do this voluntarily because they like it. But that doesn't make it a safe activity. People can be very "safe" about it, but the occassional death still occurs.

That's all we're trying to get at here. But what you do with your animals is completely up to you. Losing a tarantula this way is just so terrible. I won't ever wish that experience on anyone, or any T.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Since the handling question has been answered, I might as well discuss the fact that the tarantula "likes to climb the walls". Wrong again. If a terrestrial tarantula is climbing the walls, then it doesn't like its enclosure. So it's the opposite of what you thought lol.

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
I'm going to be the one who says that we simply don't know. It really depends on your definition of "like." Spiders can have a preference (wet vs. dry substrate, for instance). Do we consider that "liking" dry substrate? So difficult to answer this question.

But it does bring me to another point: Humans jump out of airplanes all the time. They do this voluntarily because they like it. But that doesn't make it a safe activity. People can be very "safe" about it, but the occassional death still occurs.

That's all we're trying to get at here. But what you do with your animals is completely up to you. Losing a tarantula this way is just so terrible. I won't ever wish that experience on anyone, or any T.
I am very careful when handling my T, because she´s my baby and it would crush me if she got hurt. I am still nervous about everything she does since I am new to this hobby and I definitelly plan on getting more spider babies, but after I understand my current tula Oncie a bit more. I also got some answears about her not liking her enclosure, so I will be re-housing her in two days.

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Well at least it doesn't seem to stress your T! You sound to be careful and it's not like you're volunteering for her to come out and wander about on you. I do know there is a strong 'no' to the notion of handling her, but I wouldn't say you're not doing anything wrong. I have hope that the fact that we still know so little about tarantulas means that we can all be surprised in the future one day :)

Who knows? Maybe Ts of today are comparable to the wolves that dogs came from :rolleyes::p
My honest opinion is that if your T seems calm and not stressed when they´re on your hand, then it´s okay to handle them from time to time. Of course I´d never let Oncie climb on me if I knew she was gonna be uncomfortable and possibly even kick hair, or even bite. I am very careful when handling her, because she´s my precious baby and I would never let her get hurt.

By the way, love your profile pic, The Binding of Isaac has always been my favorite game! <3

basin79

ArachnoGod
Now I know I posted a pic (my own pic mods) but I handle my jumping spiders. I honestly think they actually get something out of it.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
I am very careful when handling my T, because she´s my baby and it would crush me if she got hurt. I am still nervous about everything she does since I am new to this hobby and I definitelly plan on getting more spider babies, but after I understand my current tula Oncie a bit more. I also got some answears about her not liking her enclosure, so I will be re-housing her in two days.
I wrote it in your other thread, and I write it for you again: if you really have to handle her, do it on your bed, or on a soft place. Don't take the risks of a fall.

However, I like that you want to learn before you getting more spiders. Everyone who wants to be a good keeper should follow an attitude like this. :) (Okay... I'm in the hobby only for 8-9 months now, and already have 27 spiders, but I did my homework. And I'm still learning. :angelic: )

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
I wrote it in your other thread, and I write it for you again: if you really have to handle her, do it on your bed, or on a soft place. Don't take the risks of a fall.

However, I like that you want to learn before you getting more spiders. Everyone who wants to be a good keeper should follow an attitude like this. :) (Okay... I'm in the hobby only for 8-9 months now, and already have 27 spiders, but I did my homework. And I'm still learning. :angelic: )
Of course, I´d never get a pet without knowing something about them, after all, my lack of knowledge could be a threath to the animal and I don´t want that.
Wow, 27 is a pretty impressive number! I don´t think I´ll get this far, since I am still a 16 year old student living with my parents, haha! Luckily, my mother encourages me in my passion for these misunderstood critters but I´ve been told "don´t think there will be 10 spiders living with you, young lady!" So I need to keep myself tame.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Now I know I posted a pic (my own pic mods) but I handle my jumping spiders. I honestly think they actually get something out of it.

Jumping spiders definitely find some enjoyment in handling. Not only are they highly intelligent, but they also have excellent eyesight and are very curious. If you hold your hand in front of them, they'll hop right on. I find Phidippus audax around here sometimes and I always handle them. They're adorable <3

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Could you post a picture of the enclosure she's in to give us a better idea of why she may be climbing?

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Jumping spiders definitely find some enjoyment in handling. Not only are they highly intelligent, but they also have excellent eyesight and are very curious. If you hold your hand in front of them, they'll hop right on. I find Phidippus audax around here sometimes and I always handle them. They're adorable <3
I love jumping spiders to bits! Sadly, I feel like they are way too small for a pet, I´d be scared I´d hurt the small guys!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I love jumping spiders to bits! Sadly, I feel like they are way too small for a pet, I´d be scared I´d hurt the small guys!
The biggest ones are a little under two inches in legspan. My problem with them, as well as most of the Araneomorphae, is that they live for like a year.