Is it possible my B. Smithi likes being handled?

Hyeniik

Arachnopeon
Could you post a picture of the enclosure she's in to give us a better idea of why she may be climbing?
There are some in my previous post, here

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/can-tarantulas-hair-fall-out.294641/#post-2636315

I already know the substrate is not high enough, I sadly don´t have more right now, and that the enclosure is a little too small for her, but I´ll be re-housing her in 2 days, right when I get a new block of substrate. Gotta keep my baby happy!

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Of course, I´d never get a pet without knowing something about them, after all, my lack of knowledge could be a threath to the animal and I don´t want that.
Wow, 27 is a pretty impressive number! I don´t think I´ll get this far, since I am still a 16 year old student living with my parents, haha! Luckily, my mother encourages me in my passion for these misunderstood critters but I´ve been told "don´t think there will be 10 spiders living with you, young lady!" So I need to keep myself tame.
One day you will keep as many as you want. One day, young lady... one day. ;)

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Jumping spiders definitely find some enjoyment in handling. Not only are they highly intelligent, but they also have excellent eyesight and are very curious. If you hold your hand in front of them, they'll hop right on. I find Phidippus audax around here sometimes and I always handle them. They're adorable <3
Jumping spiders... cute little creatures. It's a shame that they are so small and fugitive. :(

basin79

ArachnoGod
Jumping spiders definitely find some enjoyment in handling. Not only are they highly intelligent, but they also have excellent eyesight and are very curious. If you hold your hand in front of them, they'll hop right on. I find Phidippus audax around here sometimes and I always handle them. They're adorable <3
Couldn't agree more.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Jumping spiders... cute little creatures. It's a shame that they are so small and fugitive. :(
They're not that small. Sure they're small to a T but to a springtail they're huge.

If they where any bigger there'd be trouble at t'mill.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
My honest opinion is that if your T seems calm and not stressed when they´re on your hand, then it´s okay to handle them from time to time. Of course I´d never let Oncie climb on me if I knew she was gonna be uncomfortable and possibly even kick hair, or even bite. I am very careful when handling her, because she´s my precious baby and I would never let her get hurt.

By the way, love your profile pic, The Binding of Isaac has always been my favorite game! <3
I agree, if they don't show signs of panic, they can't be THAT stressed out. No one wants a T to get hurt, but no one can tell them what to do either :rofl:

And thanks! I Love The Binding of Isaac! I've been obsessed ever since the first game released. I thought the picture was appropriate :D

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
She's overall very calm and docile, she hasn't attacked me once, or bolted away, she's always very calm.
I wouldn't count on her staying that way, their temperament can change from day-to-day or moult-to-moult.

I'm sure everyone else is sick of me going on about it by now but my girl "Elektra" used to be docile to the point that she was pretty much catatonic, she was one of the few Ts I'd handle back when I still handled them.

Apparently she left her manners in her old exoskeleton because she greets me like this now.

View media item 38839

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't count on her staying that way, their temperament can change from day-to-day or moult-to-moult.

I'm sure everyone else is sick of me going on about it by now but my girl "Elektra" used to be docile to the point that she was pretty much catatonic, she was one of the few Ts I'd handle back when I still handled them.

Apparently she left her manners in her old exoskeleton because she greets me like this now.

View media item 38839
Nope, not getting sick and tired of you posting this....makes me laugh every time I see that picture :smug:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Since the handling question has been answered, I might as well discuss the fact that the tarantula "likes to climb the walls". Wrong again. If a terrestrial tarantula is climbing the walls, then it doesn't like its enclosure. So it's the opposite of what you thought lol.
This is not always the case. Its not uncommon to see one of my B.hamorii on the side of the enclosure even though they have made ground webbing. I notice that a lot of my tarantulas (slings and adults) will move up the walls when the temps in the room increase. The air is hotter near the top of the enclosure and tarantulas like moving towards heat.

Some tarantulas will sit on hides and stay on the walls when they are first rehoused if the sub is too damp or something is wrong. I've seen a lot of others climb on walls long after they have settled into their enclosures.

A tarantula climbing doesn't always mean there is an enclosure problem. There could be, but even my terrestrials climb from time to time.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Is it possible she enjoys being held?
No. They do not. Given how fast mine is the last thing I would want is for her to be outside of her Enclosure.

Mine also climbs a lot for no real reason. It is annoying to me but I cannot really stop her.

27 is a decent collection, but far from the largest collection known here. ;)

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I notice that a lot of my tarantulas (slings and adults) will move up the walls when the temps in the room increase. The air is hotter near the top of the enclosure and tarantulas like moving towards heat.
I've noticed this too, they tend to hang around the vents when the room warms up a bit.