International shipping into the US - permits? taxes? problems?

user 666

Arachnobaron
I am about to place an order with an international seller (on this forum, so we know they can probably be trusted) for Ts, and they're going to be shipped into the US.

Before I commit to the order, does anyone know about import regulations on tarantulas?

Do I have paperwork to fill out?

Will the Ts be quarantined?

Thanks!

Vezon

Arachnopeon
How much is your order going to cost in shipping and paperwork? As far as I am aware, legally shipping tarantulas between countries requires a lot of money, paperwork, and time. Chances are they are just going to brownbox you your order.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I love the fact that you didn't even read the last post/threads/whatnot we had here about the issue, otherwise you wouldn't come out now with those questions :-s

Basically: if you (you) have (muahahah, yeah) that load of bureaucrecy stuff needed for import, it's perfectly legal.

Otherwise you are about to "brown boxing" with an international seller. And btw, according to what happened recently, you are just the next doing that.

I've read even reviews, lol, of people that did 'brown boxing' first, started a thread/wrote posts about meanwhile, then leaved a review. My brain fail to realize something like that. Ain't a U.S citizen, but being one, just for talking, I wouldn't 'scream' at the four winds my 'brown boxing' purchase.

At least in Italy during the ban time people were more smart, uh... everyone in "Psssht" mode :)

user 666

Arachnobaron
I love the fact that you didn't even read the last post/threads/whatnot we had here about the issue, otherwise you wouldn't come out now with those questions :-s

Basically: if you (you) have (muahahah, yeah) that load of bureaucrecy stuff needed for import, it's perfectly legal.

Otherwise you are about to "brown boxing" with an international seller. And btw, according to what happened recently, you are just the next doing that.

I've read even reviews, lol, of people that did 'brown boxing' first, started a thread/wrote posts about meanwhile, then leaved a review. My brain fail to accept something like that.

At least in Italy during the ban time people were more smart, uh... everyone in "Psssht" mode :)
I found a half-dozen threads; they did not answer my questions.

And you didn't help much, either. About half your post came out a gibberish.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And you didn't help much, either.
I'm not here for help, actually. If you, or someone else, wants to import illegally animals (in this case arachnids) in the U.S I don't give a .... but son, I was kind enough for gave you an insight.

It's up to you: for me you can break all the Federal U.S laws that exist and see if I care :)

About half your post came out a gibberish.
Stick to the other half, then :cigar:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I found a half-dozen threads; they did not answer my questions.

And you didn't help much, either. About half your post came out a gibberish.
Because there isn't too much to explain. There is nothing to explain, aside for 'legal' and 'illegal'.

You can order everything you want/need from every country. But you need to have the legit/proper/whatnot import permits. A thing that I have reason to believe involves money, time, bureaucrecy... those lovely things.

Or, you can order what you want in full "Meh": that's what is called 'brown boxing'. The same stuff, lol, just without those (needed) permits.

As I've said, it's up to you. Ain't here for "help" because technically is breaking the law. People in the U.S do 'brown boxing' mostly because in Europe (example) T's are cheaper and "rare" specimens are available so they take the risk.

Since something arrived, probably at the "X-Ray" machine there's always an underpayed 'tard that when he/she spot the spiders inside and scream: "sp-sp-spoooders! Spooders!" the supervisor gave him/her a slap in the head saying:

"Stf. we are discussing NFL! munch munch" <-- sound of a marshmallow munched.

user 666

Arachnobaron
He did answer your question. If you don't have import permits you're breaking the law. From what I've heard, the proper paperwork would be more than your order cost + shipping in this case.
http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28758
He really did not.

The problem with his post was that it combined a jeering contempt for me because I didn't already know all this with the assumption that I would understand all of the context of his half-mentioned references.

I frequently don't understand what Chris is talking about because he assumes that everyone catches all the references. Usually I shrug it off, but this was an important question.

Thank you for waving me off from this deal.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He really did not.

The problem with his post was that it combined a jeering contempt for me because I didn't already know all this with the assumption that I would understand all of the context of his half-mentioned references.

I frequently don't understand what Chris is talking about because he assumes that everyone catches all the references. Usually I shrug it off, but this was an important question.

Thank you for waving me off from this deal.
Keep in mind that not everyone on AB is American or speaks American English as their primary language. Yes, occasionally Chris can be a little challenging to understand - but just how comprehensible would your responses be, if you were attempting to post in Italian? What he has to say, though, is generally good information.

To break down his "gibberish" for you:

1) There have been several recent threads on this topic that have already addressed the issue. Had you read them, your question would already be answered.
2) If you go through the cumbersome bureaucratic process of obtaining the necessary permits and import licenses, it is legal.
3) If you do not go through that process, it is "brown boxing" - which is illegal.
4) He then expressed astonishment at other people who have illegally "brown boxed" tarantulas into the U.S. and essentially bragged about it in a public forum, talking about their purchases and leaving reviews for the sellers - as opposed to Italians who - during the ban on tarantulas - were at least a little more discrete about their purchases.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I think Chris laid it out quite well. There is a ton of coverage in the countless threads if you just took actual time to really look. Take a shot get a shot, live with it.

All that aside with legitimate and legal importing, it's not worth the cost for one 120 dollar tarantula. The costs to do it legally are staggering. You do a 2000 dollar order, then you might look into it.
If you take a shortcut and brown box it, own it and live with what you will be, a smuggler. Do it and don't change your mind a month later by lecturing others.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This has been asked so much recently, and last year, and the year before that etc etc.

In short, if you order a T and "import" it, ie shipped to your door, you are breaking Federal Law-- good luck.

Importing Ts only becomes truly viable if you are ordering a couple thousand dollars worth of Ts.

There are some foreign sellers on the forum that know know the law and look to brown box.

Or worse, you'll end up in a Federal sting operation.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I am about to place an order with an international seller (on this forum, so we know they can probably be trusted)
This is what got me :rofl: He's brown boxing. He's a criminal. Ah, but he can be trusted.

user 666

Arachnobaron
This is what got me :rofl: He's brown boxing. He's a criminal. Ah, but he can be trusted.
Yes, that was inadvertently hilarious.

On the other hand, why is this forum aiding and abetting criminal activity?

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Import regulations and US laws apply to the buyer, its on you as a US citizen to know what is legal and what is not. The international seller may not have any of the same restrictions about shipping overseas to other countries. Although AB is predominately US based for member count there are many members overseas who can legally buy from the non US based seller/members on here.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Yeah at least u didn't order and then find out itwas illegal. I've seen quite a few people buy from that seller unknowingly and then be anxious till the shipment arrived. One gal just last week actually.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
On the other hand, why I this forum aiding and abetting criminal activity?
Criminal activity... such a big word, now. What's illegal in the U.S can be perfectly legal in other nations, like a European ordering inverts from a U.S citizen that lives in Asia (mere example).

user 666

Arachnobaron
Yes and no.

I once got a threatening letter from the EU for not filling out the customs paperwork correctly. (My error was worth several hundred in import duties on the buyer.)
Import regulations and US laws apply to the buyer, its on you as a US citizen to know what is legal and what is not. The international seller may not have any of the same restrictions about shipping overseas to other countries. Although AB is predominately US based for member count there are many members overseas who can legally buy from the non US based seller/members on here.
So basically you are agreeing that AB is aiding and abetting the buyer's criminal activity?

Wouldn't we all benefit from a warning message attached to every sales thread from an international seller?