International shipping into the US - permits? taxes? problems?

user 666

Arachnobaron
Yeah at least u didn't order and then find out itwas illegal. I've seen quite a few people buy from that seller unknowingly and then be anxious till the shipment arrived. One gal just last week actually.
I have had to comply with export and import regulations with gadgetry before, and I could find rules about importing all sorts of live animals - but not spiders.

Tarantulas are potentially an invasive species, so the lack of regulation made me suspicious.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Yes and no.

I once got a threatening letter from the EU for not filling out the customs paperwork correctly. (My error was worth several hundred in import duties on the buyer.)

So basically you are agreeing that AB is aiding and abetting the buyer's criminal activity?

Wouldn't we all benefit from a warning message attached to every sales thread from an international seller?
I'm pretty sure it's clearly laid out in the classifieds forum rules. Have you read them?
http://arachnoboards.com/help/classifieds/

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It is the same as pretty much every other internet site in regards to sales international or domestic. When you buy from any of those sites it is the responsibility of the buyer to know the laws that govern the purchase. How does AB know who lives where and what gets shipped where? I bet I know who you were going to buy from and they ship to lots of countries. I'm pretty sure on their disclaimer they even state you should know the laws in your country as a way to cover themselves.

There are tons of brown box threads on the boards. Anything bought internationally has import rules. Any LIVING thing bought internationally has LOTs of rules and paperwork. (plants will get you in a lot of trouble) If you are not prompted for permits and paperwork when ordering then it's likely illegal.

I can't speak for anyone else but I read the classified rules before buying.

Here is the part for people who didn't:
Regarding International Sales

As we are an international community here on Arachnoboards, we felt we should make this announcement.

It is the responsibility of the buyer and seller to know the laws of their respective countries regarding the import/export of the goods they are dealing in. (In most cases on this site, arachnids or other "arachnopets".) For those members residing in the United States, it is ILLEGAL to import or export without the appropriate permits. If the person you are dealing with has the appropriate permits for their country, that has NO bearing on the fact that YOU must ALSO have the appropriate permits in the U.S. "Brown Boxing"* is not only illegal, it's stupid. If you're caught, the least of your worries will be the impounding of the "Brown Box" and the worst could be some hefty fines as well as jail time.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I hadn't read that, no. And I think most people haven't read it, either.
Yeah, I'm with @Trenor, I certainly read them entirely before posting for sale. If you plan on getting big into sales, you better also read up on what you can and can't ship. I get messages at least once per month asking for me to ship dubia roaches to Florida. The people usually know it's illegal, but they sure don't tell me that. When I bring up that I won't because of legalities, they either don't reply or admit that they knew and just ask me to brown box. People think that the internet is the Wild West. It's not, and you better know the legalities in a hobby like this.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
People think that the internet is the Wild West. It's not, and you better know the legalities in a hobby like this.
True, aside for Italy :)

Politicians here (that have their official Facebook pages full of hate mails, death curses etc) said that "it's a no man's land" ah ah :-s

RobynTRR

Arachnosquire
Wouldn't this be the same as international smuggling? is the BB term just nicer phrasing?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Bottom line; if you get popped for receiving an illegal or brown boxed shipment, ignorance of the law (whether spelled out or not), will not get you out of facing the consequences.

The shipper has no responsibility to make sure you are following the proper methods. There is a disclaimer in the classifieds rules and failing to read it again doesn't make AB responsible in any way.

Dancing around the issue of legal or illegal importation looking for the loophole or where you could point the finger in case it all goes wrong, just shows me that you are going to do it, but want someone here to say, "It's ok user 666, we all do it. Go ahead" It's like a child fishing for permission from one of their parents for the answer they want to hear.

I'm sure there is someone on the FB AB group that thinks it's ok....

Last edited:

user 666

Arachnobaron
Bottom line; if you get popped for receiving an illegal or brown boxed shipment, ignorance of the law (whether spelled out or not), will not get you out of facing the consequences.

The shipper has no responsibility to make sure you are following the proper methods. There is a disclaimer in the classifieds rules and failing to read it again doesn't make AB responsible in any way.

Dancing around the issue of legal or illegal importation looking for the loophole or where you could point the finger in case it all goes wrong, just shows me that you are going to do it, but want someone here to say, "It's ok user 666, we all do it. Go ahead" It's like a child fishing for permission from a parent for the answer they want to hear.

I'm sure there is someone on the FB AB group that thinks it's ok....
Wow, you have really poor reading skills.

Apparently, you missed where I wrote:
Thank you for waving me off from this deal.
And:

I have had to comply with export and import regulations with gadgetry before, and I could find rules about importing all sorts of live animals - but not spiders.

Tarantulas are potentially an invasive species, so the lack of regulation made me suspicious.
And:

Now this is useful.

Thank you.
What you see as dancing around the issue is merely a discussion of how much warning the forum should give to buyers. I think there should be more. Other people think there is already enough of a warning.

The debate was not a sign of me trying to look for a loophole and/or permission.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I can understand why are you posting this I have been seeing a lot of breeders advertise that they ship internationally now. They will mention its easy for them do so and offer slings 4-5 bucks that would normally cost us 20-30 bucks.

There is actually someone on instagram I follow who advertises they ship internationally.

Been tempting but, if customer service can't happen state side... I am not interested.

if you want international spiders find hobbyists in your area who are willing to split the costs of an order. This can be actually pretty cheap if you can get a decent amount of people involved. Talk to your LPS. Check facebook for local breeders. Network at your next reptile convention.

user 666

Arachnobaron
I can understand why are you posting this I have been seeing a lot of breeders advertise that they ship internationally now. They will mention its easy for them do so and offer slings 4-5 bucks that would normally cost us 20-30 bucks.
That is it, yes.

But the deal sounded too good to be true, so I checked to make sure it was legal.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I'm with @Trenor, I certainly read them entirely before posting for sale. If you plan on getting big into sales, you better also read up on what you can and can't ship. I get messages at least once per month asking for me to ship dubia roaches to Florida. The people usually know it's illegal, but they sure don't tell me that. When I bring up that I won't because of legalities, they either don't reply or admit that they knew and just ask me to brown box. People think that the internet is the Wild West. It's not, and you better know the legalities in a hobby like this.
I was not aware of this. (Not that the FL rules/laws affect me.)
Out of curiosity, why can't dubias be shipped there?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If they get loose they will become an invasive species
Hell, this is one of the reasons why I hate the fact that majority of the multi-millionaire-whatever fellas are epic morons without the slightest idea of "fun", just like that rifle quote of George Romero's movie 'Dawn of the Dead'.

For that, trust me, being one, after delivering tons and tons of Northern Italy badass vipers to Sardegna island (where those doesn't exists) with an 'army' of helicopters like not even in Mogadiscio, next I would parachute every kind of roaches on Florida's soil.

Ah, I'd love to imagine that scene :angelic: