In the News: Cricket sentenced for Murder

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
The body of a one "Baby mean bitey thing" was found murdered today, outside it's Chicago residence. Sources say that an adolescent cricket male has been charged and convicted of the killing.

The offending cricket, who wished to remain anonymous, declined our attempts to interview him. His lawyer claims that just becase he was sealed alone with the deceased, does not mean he was neccessarily responsible. The eyewitness reports of a one "Dahmer", a neighbor known to have a poor opinion of crickets, claimed he watched the entire thing in horror from his window. The cricket's lawyer claims that Dahmer could not have possibly seen the offense, due to excessive amount of webbing in his windows.

The judge, however, did not buy the defense's arguments. Forensic evidence showed that only the cricket could have been responsible for the type of damage done to Baby Mean Bitey Thing. He is quoted with saying "The investigators show that during the young spiders molt process, Mr. cricket snuck up on him and devoured him, while helpless. It is a tragedy that these monsters walk the soil we burrow in, every day"

Mr. Cricket has been sentenced to death via lethal injection of Peocilotheria Venom. The victim was a 15 week old Haplopelma lividum, affectionately known as 'Evil", "Little death machine", "Blue fireball" and other such names. May he rest in peace, and know justice has been done.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
:( That's terrible. Those things are evil. They even eat each other while waiting to be fed to our beloved pets. Strange irony...even if the spider doesn't eat him his cousin will.

Do most spiders take crickets that have been frozen and thawed? Some say tis better than live, but I'm not sure how many Ts will take those on a regular basis. Have you tried this at all?

N.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Some users on this board have had alot of luck with it, especially Gail. I think she has gone almost exclusively frozen now. I thought of trying it, but my roommate had some apprehension about me putting dead bugs next to the ice cubes and such, so I haven't tried it myself.

Bill

redbadger

Arachnopeon
That cricket musta been related to the cricket that murdered my baby H. lividum...and that cricket was sentenced to death by lethal injection of A.henzi...heh!;P

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Some users on this board have had alot of luck with it, especially Gail. I think she has gone almost exclusively frozen now. I thought of trying it, but my roommate had some apprehension about me putting dead bugs next to the ice cubes and such, so I haven't tried it myself.

Bill
Sorry to hear about your poor Evil - but at least you kept a sense of humor about it.
Want to update on my frozen food adventure. It was a fantastic idea and it works for 70 to 75 percent of my collection but I have learned that most of the aboreals don't want totally dead - they'll take half-dead (I call them 'pinched' crickets) but not the thawed ones. Now here's the kicker - since I froze up a huge batch of crickets and roaches back in mid October (almost everything I had at the time) I've had them in the freezer long enough to be able to tell you that they just don't last as long as steaks or chicken. Even though I have them double bagged in freezer bags with the excess air squeezed out they have deteriorated to the point that I don't think I will get anyone to eat them soon. I have actually seen a marked drop in the number of my collection that is willing to eat the long dead and frozen crickets and roaches. When thawed they rapidly turn unpleasant colors that crickets just aren't supposed to be. So, saddly, I must conclude that my frozen food experiment is ultimately a bust if you want to freeze up large amounts of crix because they just don't keep well enough. However, I will still freeze or kill all prey (just not such large amounts anymore) for those of my collection that will take dead food because I feel so much safer doing it that way - crickets really are nasty vial bitey things.

Gail

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, I'm not winning any macro contests with this one, but Here is my 1 inch P. formosa doling out justice:

Attachments

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Has anyone has success with other buggy foods? I really dislike cricks. Does anyone have a smithi or avic. that likes meal worms, or wax worms, or other store-bought bugs?

N.

" I think I've had my fill of these horrible stick people today! " -Invader Zim

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
Has anyone has success with other buggy foods? I really dislike cricks. Does anyone have a smithi or avic. that likes meal worms, or wax worms, or other store-bought bugs?

N.

" I think I've had my fill of these horrible stick people today! " -Invader Zim
I have a smithi and an avic, I never tried feeding meal worms, superworms, ect with my 1" B.smithi, I tried it with my 3" avic and it did not eat eat either! Good Luck!

James