I'm such a bleeding heart.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I stopped in at a pet shop today, and found a VERY dehydrated rosehair. She was kept on dry bark with no water. Poor thing.

I talked to the staff and they wouldn't change the condition. They said it was what the reptile expert said it should have, being a desert animal. I explained that it's a tropical species, and NOT A REPTILE! Still, they wouldn't back down on the no-water-dish idea.

In the end, I put her on my credit card. I couldn't let such a gentle spider suffer. She's currently recovering and drinking lots of water! :)

I'm so pathetic.

-Bryan

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I agree with you. It's cool to save a spider, but it also tells the petstore, people will buy the animals anyway, no matter the condition they are in...

Dennis

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's why you should sneak into the pet store at night and set all of the animals free to roam the town to exact their revenge on whomever they wish.

Kristen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ahhh! Thank God you came along and saved the poor thing! I think that pet store needs to get a new "expert". I probably would have done the same thing you did...so props for saving her.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since it is seemingly thus, that you cannot possibly tell a pet-store employee/owner/manager/whatever that they're being Coco the Monkey when it comes to taking care of animals, even in a civil and polite way, without them feeling insulted and letting their pride step on whatever poor critters are suffering, you should just insult them and leave.

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
I stopped in at a pet shop today, and found a VERY dehydrated rosehair. She was kept on dry bark with no water. Poor thing.

I talked to the staff and they wouldn't change the condition. They said it was what the reptile expert said it should have, being a desert animal. I explained that it's a tropical species, and NOT A REPTILE! Still, they wouldn't back down on the no-water-dish idea.

In the end, I put her on my credit card. I couldn't let such a gentle spider suffer. She's currently recovering and drinking lots of water! :)

I'm so pathetic.

-Bryan

What Crotch heads.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
An interesting position to be in, To be sure.

In one hand, You did buy the spider, possibly sending a message of encouragement to the mis-treatment of the animal,

But on the other hand, you did save a suffering spider.

I can only hope that these petstores get some sort of a message / clue that these animals have fairly specific needs, and those needs have to be taken care of. Otherwise your causing suffering to an animal.

Period.

(personally tho, I would have done the same thing in your place.)

-Jason

edit: As an afterthought, Maybe you could print out some spider caresheets from the net (Like, a lot of them) And take the printouts to the petshop showing them the proper care of these animals.. Mayby kinda help them to understand how these things work in captivity.

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I just hate pet shops and their idea of animal care... In cases like this it might be worth it to consult your local animal cruelty officers with what and where you've seen the mistreatment and let them do their work.

And, you've got yourself a sweet and very thankful G.rosea and another to add to your collection

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Im glad to see you saved the poor thing. Fatten her up too. :) I would have done the same thing.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
yikes! poor rosie, she's so thin and dehydrated!
oh the other hand, congrats on your new tarantula. it's a sad, sad misconception that tarantulas don't need water. but you can't expect pet store employees to listen to a lowly customer, especially when hydraulics are concerned!

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
I like the caresheet idea. Can we get the ATS to post them with their logo or something official looking so that it doesn't just look like it was typed up by just anyone?

I'm no expert but I can read a caresheet. Anyway, I was in a petstore today that had a A. avic with sign that said "Aboreal Pink Toe" but meanwhile they had in exactly the same setup as a G rosea (dry bark chips and a low hide). I guess no one there knew what aboreal meant. I may need to rescue that poor thing this weekend.

Jeff

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You know guys, I have had my problems with pet stores and T's also. I would hope( but not holding my breath ) that as this hobby grows and pet stores become more interested in selling tarantulas, they will take the time to learn more about them and how to properly take care of them. It might be hopefull thinking on my part, but a hope just the same.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would have probably bought the tarantula even though I'm against buying them from petshops. It's just tell them that they can sell anything no matter the condition they keep their animal in.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The caresheet idea sounds good! I'm fortunate my pet store guy is open to learning. And it also helps that I try to frequent the same one, hence become know to them and they're more willing to listen. GOOD FOR YOU! I would have, and will continue to do the same thing!!

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Update on Damara (yes, she's been named now):

Yesterday she was still a bit sluggish. She had about one cap of water to drink (arizona tea lid for the BIG bottles). Today, she's had another half cap of water, and is currently eatting a cricket. I think she'll be on her way to a healthy happy life soon :)

-Bryan

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Right on! Glad to hear shes getting water and food, and doing better. :D

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
Glad to hear she's doing better in your care....but.....you do know Rosehairs are not a tropical species, right? In fact, they are closer to being a desert species...
Still doesn't justify the no-water-dish thing, but....They don't seem to enjoy tropical setups much at all, either :p

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Re: Re: I'm such a bleeding heart.

Originally posted by safetypinup
Glad to hear she's doing better in your care....but.....you do know Rosehairs are not a tropical species, right? In fact, they are closer to being a desert species...
I just read that post today. It's very informative.

-Bryan

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Being able to just save one animal makes a big difference. Think that one animal will go home safe and healthy that night.