Identifying Common Heterometrus

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how come my supposed H. "laoticus" sling has been very matte black since I2 (it is now I5)? could it be a H. cyaneus instead?

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it came from me definitely it is H.loaticus i have sent picz of my h.spinnifer & h. laoticus to Mr.G he ID it as Laoticus hehe!

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and another thing i observed with that Heterometrus: it is more aggressive and highly strung compared to my other Heterometrus spp. (longimanus and petersii/"spinifer").

SimplengGarapal

Arachnopeon
Here are pics of the greenish "spinifer". They are claimed to by "hybrids" because when they are put inside a communal tank with other spinifers or other "hybrids", one would die.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea, and both old specimens! :eek:

the claws look weird... but who knows? :p

SimplengGarapal

Arachnopeon
yea, and both old specimens! :eek:

the claws look weird... but who knows? :p
based on the stories from different people who bought from this single seller, when they placed these "hybrid"/"spinifers" in a communal tank with other spinifer scorps, they would react violently and causing death to the other scorps.

Take note that these scorps may be wild caught. We don't know where it was harvested though.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
the claw looks like it has a bump or a hump at the side, same to laoticus, hybrid? LOLOLOL!!!{D

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@ simpleng garapal, please post again your greenish and bluish heterometrus, i cant differentiate the two, i need the whole pic of the head, please include also the next segment to head, and if you can, please take a clear pic of it with the dimention of 650x800 or near to it, i think the other one looks like longimanus.

Longimanus

Arachnopeon
I reckon based on the ID keys... that's H. petersii. Prosoma almost as smooth as laoticus but with a slight granulation. The bluish, greenish coloration and bulbous chela is also quite indicative of petersii...

Feel free to Correct me if I'm wrong

Longimanus

Arachnopeon
More Hetrometrus for ID practice

I profiled 5 Heterometrus specimens in my collection for ID confirmation; enclosed with close-ups depicting (as best I can) the prosoma, patella, chela, and telson as reference keys.

Almost certainly a pair of H. petersii
Specimen 1: Abaddon (male) – arrived as adult;

*note the pronounced 'tooth' as depicted in the sexual dimorphism of this species

Specimen 2: Behemoth (female) – arrived as adult suspected to be H. petersii; yielded brood

*no pronounced tooth

These 3 got me stumped. I reckon 3 and 5 to be H. laoticus due to lack of granulation on the prosoma. No. 4 could be a sub-adult H. petersii
Specimen 3: Fester (male) – arrived as 3rd instar, don't know if its adult

Specimen 4: Gomez (male) – arrived as 4th instar; granulation on prosoma present

Specimen 5: Phyliss (female) – arrived as 3rd instar, don't know if its adult

Any other suggestions as to what they might be?

Last edited: