Identifying Common Heterometrus

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heterometrus cyaneus and Heterometrus fulvipes.

H.cyaneus
they are unique as far as Heterometrus go
INTENSLY granulated all over the body
shines blue (hence the name) under bright light

stocky scorpion, quite short, yet wide
large nook at front of prosoma. (large prosoma)

(sorry for poor pics, this scorp is dead now)

Locality: Imports from Java (Indonesia)

Heterometrus fulvipes
beautiful little scorp from Pakistan/India

quite distinctive, but can be mixed up with H.xanthopus
ill add to this later..

Locality: Imports from Pakistan

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are the overall pics as requested.

H. spinifer female

Side

Front

Chela

H. longimanus borneensis. I also determined it to be female, pectine count is 15. Is this correct?

Side

Front

Chela

H. laoticus (or petersii:? ) Male, pectine count is 18.

Side

Chela

Group picture for comparisson. The little longimanus nearly got crushed by the laoticus during this shoot:eek: . Its a good thing she runs faster.{D

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Notice the small longimanus chela is slender compared to the other 2.

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just my views i guess you have a petersii because of the granulations. i am 80% sure that there is no longgimanus in the group hope we can clarify this.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
IME, males and females can have the same number of teeth in Heterometrus, so you cant compare them without an adult pair ;(

im not sure if the granulation on the laoticus is real or an illusion!
though due to the "pronounced tooth" as i described earlier, it might well be a petersii

i'll scan the Couzijn KEY when i next go home to feed my scorps

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
George,

The laoticus carapace is smooth all over. I thin what looks like granulation is "noise" in the image. But I"m really confused with the longimanus.:?

The spinifer is a confirmed female. She already gave me 19 babies. I think Vixvy has a female laoticus, so We'll try to mate them. If they do the dance of love, then it is a male.

Vixvy,

I'll bring this male laoticus on our next meeting.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yea im confused with the H.longimanus too...

theyre NOT H.spinifer, or any other species unless they are some strange morph...

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well this thread sure does guive me some good lesson! hehe thanks geroge!! well done!!!

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a very informative thread! kudos to you Mr.g! this will answer some of our questions with regards with the heterometrus sps.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
my guess on alakdans petersii/loaticus is petersii

was'nt laoticus has a bump on its chelae on the side?

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
too many heteros too lil scorp :p~ theoir my first and im going back to them again ,,

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so what is the name of the heterometrus species that is all over green even under flourescent light, then is almost only 3.5 inch in lenght, adult female and already poped for a small sized brood, around less than 1inch. just saw it from a petshop, i hanvt purchased it coz it costs for about Php 1,500 ($30)

anyone?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey Kahoy

get me a pic, and if its rare, ill send you the money ;)

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i doubt i can take a pic on that one, i just found it a few months ago, i not sure of the date but im sure its either dead or sold to other person, its on a known petshop (cartimar) and is quite far from my location, but i will look for another, they have buch of that there, also in aranque w/c is quite near to my place, but its like 1 out of a 100 find...
but if i can find another unknown het species i will try to buy it how much it will cost.

so what would be your guess George on that absolute green het?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey

probably H.cyaneus seeing where you are from, or perhaps this infamous H.petersii from the Philippenes is also a possibility

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I brought these 2 scorpions in June as H.spinifer. At that time they were only about 4 cm's. They are now both adult (i think) or possibly sub adult. Today was clean out day and was the first i have seen of them in 3 or 4 months (apart from UV of an night time).

Anyway it's plain to see when studying Georges thread here that these scorpions are not H.spinifer, or at least not of a described spinifer morph
At first i thought that maybe they could be H.loaticus because of the lack of granulation on the head....but look at the colour of the top scorp and that is how it really looks...no camera flash enhancement here..the bottom scorpion also has a hint of brown/red but nothing like the other.
Incidently when i brought these they were jet black and the same size.
The top scorpion, apart from being very red/brown is also the largest of the two (the picture does a bad job of showing their respective sizes)

Anyone have an idea..:?