I need urticating hairs information.

Craven

Arachnopeon
Can someone enlighten me please. As a beginner, I've done my research on tarantulas and I'm still having trouble with information on urticating hairs. Google can only provide so much knowledge and it's mostly just elementary too. I need to ask some straightforward questions and i hope someone here can give me clarification.

1. Are all the visible hair strands on a new world tarantula urticating? Including the ones on the legs? Or are they much smaller and are mostly hidden? - similar to a bird's inner feathers (contour feathers).

2. Old worlds have noticeable hair too, especially the P Cambridgei. Do they possess a different type of hair? Is it possible those hairs will accidentally detach and fly off simulating a "flick".

3. Do tarantulas fully regenerate all their lost hairs (medium-severe) and restore bald patches in a single molt?

4. I see these Youtubers handling their 6-inch new world Ts like they're nothing. Won't the urticating hairs make contact with their skin eventually and don't they worry at all?

Guys, i know the "hairs" aren't actual hairs. I'm just using the term cause it's easier to use.

I appreciate your time and effort for reading and answering my questions. Peace.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
1. Only on the abdomen - generally. The long, well-visible ones are not the urticating ones.

2. Psalmopoeus are actually New World tarantulas. They do not have urticating hairs, though. It's all fluff and sensory organs.

3. Yes, they do.

4. Usually, the animal has to actively flick to release them. But the hairs are the lesser problem when handling. Dangers involved you getting bitten or worse the tarantula falling. So better not do it.

Stormsinger

Arachnopeon
1. No. It can depend on species but urticating setae are only found on the abdomen (they reflect light and are often called a mirror patch) or on the pedipalps of some species, and some new world Ts lack them entirely.

2. the setae on old world Ts is not barbed and not intended to be flicked.

3. Yes. Some Ts will kick themselves bald prior to molting to protect themselves, and they will get a whole new set with the new exoskeleton.

4. Handling tarantulas is really dangerous for the T (Ts don't bounce should they be dropped) and the youtuber absolutely can get haired. Each person reacts differently to urticating setae so how much they worry depends on how badly they react to them. Its better to avoid handling entirely. All of the safety and setae risks go away if you do not handle.

Craven

Arachnopeon
1. Only on the abdomen - generally. The long, well-visible ones are not the urticating ones.

2. Psalmopoeus are actually New World tarantulas. They do not have urticating hairs, though. It's all fluff and sensory organs.

3. Yes, they do.

4. Usually, the animal has to actively flick to release them. But the hairs are the lesser problem when handling. Dangers involved you getting bitten or worse the tarantula falling. So better not do it.
Thanks for clarifying. My bad on the psalmopeus. I'm so used to the old world look that i automatically assume all arboreals are old worlds XD.

1. No. It can depend on species but urticating setae are only found on the abdomen (they reflect light and are often called a mirror patch) or on the pedipalps of some species, and some new world Ts lack them entirely.

2. the setae on old world Ts is not barbed and not intended to be flicked.

3. Yes. Some Ts will kick themselves bald prior to molting to protect themselves, and they will get a whole new set with the new exoskeleton.

4. Handling tarantulas is really dangerous for the T (Ts don't bounce should they be dropped) and the youtuber absolutely can get haired. Each person reacts differently to urticating setae so how much they worry depends on how badly they react to them. Its better to avoid handling entirely. All of the safety and setae risks go away if you do not handle.
Thanks but i kinda disagree on the last part though. Even if you don't handle them, they can still flick their hairs. Say you're re-housing a notorious, flicker T using sticks and cups and you accidentally startle it. Boom, flying hairs.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Can someone enlighten me please. As a beginner, I've done my research on tarantulas and I'm still having trouble with information on urticating hairs. Google can only provide so much knowledge and it's mostly just elementary too. I need to ask some straightforward questions and i hope someone here can give me clarification.

1. Are all the visible hair strands on a new world tarantula urticating? Including the ones on the legs? Or are they much smaller and are mostly hidden? - similar to a bird's inner feathers (contour feathers).

2. Old worlds have noticeable hair too, especially the P Cambridgei. Do they possess a different type of hair? Is it possible those hairs will accidentally detach and fly off simulating a "flick".

3. Do tarantulas fully regenerate all their lost hairs (medium-severe) and restore bald patches in a single molt?

4. I see these Youtubers handling their 6-inch new world Ts like they're nothing. Won't the urticating hairs make contact with their skin eventually and don't they worry at all?

Guys, i know the "hairs" aren't actual hairs. I'm just using the term cause it's easier to use.

I appreciate your time and effort for reading and answering my questions. Peace.
The tarantula collective just did a video on them on utube if it helps I am new too and I found it extremely helpful in understanding them ☺

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

1 No

2 Psalmo are NOT OW- they are NW and do not have urticating setae

3 Yes

4 Handling is a great way to KILL your T. Stop watching STUPIDTUBE, monkey see monkey do.

Maybe
How do you expect anyone to read someone’s mind?????????

Craven

Arachnopeon
1 No

2 Psalmo are NOT OW- they are NW and do not have urticating setae

3 Yes

4 Handling is a great way to KILL your T. Stop watching STUPIDTUBE, monkey see monkey do.

Maybe
How do you expect anyone to read someone’s mind?????????
I'm sorry if i hit a nerve but you sound offended. What do you have against these Youtubers? They provide good content and knowledge about the hobby. I only see them handling their Ts when necessary and sometimes, during re-housings. They don't advocate handling as well and even put up disclaimers, however, they don't explain why they're not affected by the hairs - so is it wrong to ask?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sorry if i hit a nerve but you sound offended. What do you have against these Youtubers? They provide good content and knowledge about the hobby. I only see them handling their Ts when necessary and sometimes, during re-housings. They don't advocate handling as well and even put up disclaimers, however, they don't explain why they're not affected by the hairs - so is it wrong to ask?
I'm merely typing words on a screen. There is no sound, ie don't read into what you see. Most of youtube regrading hobbyists and their Ts is full of garbage. Tons of people come here with bad habits they picked up from stupidtube, like spoonfeeding their Ts with tongs!!!!!!. This is what read "I saw them do it on...", that logic is anything but.

Handling - you haven't seen enough videos for sure.

Not wrong to ask, never wrote that it was.

don't they worry at all?
Above..surely you know we are not mind readers..that is what I was referring to.

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
Don't worry, you can't offend @viper69, I've tried... He is just going to be real and be blunt with you. But he is for sure not going to BS you.

sasker

Arachnoprince
i automatically assume all arboreals are old worlds XD
There are plenty of NW arboreals. Most of them have urticating hairs, too!

What do you have against these Youtubers? They provide good content and knowledge about the hobby.
No, they do not. Look up Tom Moran on YouTube. He is one of the very few worth watching. Most others are just there for the clicks. Please don't use YouTube as your main source of information. You will find much more valuable tips on Arachnoboards.

Welcome, by the way :D

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
1. Are all the visible hair strands on a new world tarantula urticating? Including the ones on the legs?
No, the vast majority of setae are there for sensory reasons (tactile/chemoreceptors/etc.).

For the vast majority of species that possess urticating setae they are located towards the upper rear portion of the abdomen (several species also possess a 'mirror patch' which is basically a differently coloured/iridescent patch of urticating setae that act as a visual warning), Ephebopus spp. are the exceptions in that their urticating setae are located on their pedipalps.

2. Old worlds have noticeable hair too, especially the P Cambridgei.
P. cambridgei are new worlds, there are several new world species that do not possess urticating setae (there was a thread about it recently if you want to know which ones).

Do they possess a different type of hair?
Refer to the first sentence of my answer to Q1.

Yes, they get a fresh set of urticating setae with each moult.

What do you have against these Youtubers? They provide good content and knowledge about the hobby.
Actually, they don't. The vast majority spout outdated/bad info, perpetuate old hobby myths, and promote crappy practices.

I could count the amount of really good tarantula YouTubers out there on one hand.

I only see them handling their Ts when necessary
It's basically never necessary to handle a tarantula, the only reason you would ever film yourself handling one is to show off.

I can only think of two valid reasons off the top of my head to even touch a tarantula;

- The tarantula bolts out of the enclosure and onto you (which you should be trying to avoid, if you can't avoid that then you should be getting it safely back into its enclosure ASAP, not faffing about trying to film it).
- You're trying to free a tarantula that is stuck in its moult (because possibly killing it in the process of attempting to free it is better than consigning it to death by doing nothing, this is also something I wouldn't faff about trying to film seeing as time is of the essence).

they don't explain why they're not affected by the hairs - so is it wrong to ask?
They probably are but either aren't showing that in the video (it can take several minutes for the reaction to manifest) or are only handling species that they don't have reactions to.

Different people react differently to the urticating setae of different species, there are members of this site that have very strong reactions to the urticating setae of Brachypelma species, I only react to the urticating setae of 5 genera so far (Acanthoscurria, Lasiodora, Nhandu, Phormictopus, and Theraphosa), my worst reactions are to Lasiodora spp. and it's on par with the reaction I have to fibreglass insulation (itching and red "goosebumps" on the affected areas that goes away within a few hours of taking a hot shower), I've seen other people break out in full-on blisters when haired by Lasiodora species.

Reactions can worsen with repeated exposure, you can also develop reactions to the urticating setae of species you previously had no reaction to with repeated exposure.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
I have t.blondis and t.apophysis and have never had any side effects from urticating hairs in 16 years. I think some people overreact about urticating hairs honestly. May be different for someone with sensitive skin though.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I have t.blondis and t.apophysis and have never had any side effects from urticating hairs in 16 years. I think some people overreact about urticating hairs honestly. May be different for someone with sensitive skin though.
People definitely have different reactions to them. I'd imagine you're a good egg who remains respectful of the animals you own and that's why you haven't been affected. I've known of people who have to stop keeping NWs entirely because their sensitivity to the hairs is that bad.

Spider937372

Arachnopeon
Tagging in here with another question I can't seem to find much of an answer on;

How long do released hairs stay problematic?
And I mean the ones that don't directly, at the time of releasing, come into contact with you.

Per example - do you need to worry about them if you were to rehouse the T and you handle the substrate or other items in the enclosure, if she at some point kicked some hairs in there? Maybe minutes ago with the rehousing, or maybe days ago for no specific reason.
Or if some land (knowingly or not) on your clothes or around the enclosure etc.
And if they do stay active for a long time - how hardy are they? Would they survive the washing machine? I surely hope not...

Craven

Arachnopeon
I'm merely typing words on a screen. There is no sound, ie don't read into what you see. Most of youtube regrading hobbyists and their Ts is full of garbage. Tons of people come here with bad habits they picked up from stupidtube, like spoonfeeding their Ts with tongs!!!!!!. This is what read "I saw them do it on...", that logic is anything but.

Handling - you haven't seen enough videos for sure.

Not wrong to ask, never wrote that it was.

Above..surely you know we are not mind readers..that is what I was referring to.
I only watch 2 Tarantula channels. Schizo PelmaTV and Exotics Lair. While these 2 are popular for "spoon-feeding" Ts with tongs, which I don't really know why is such a bad thing, besides the fact that they're depriving the Ts their hunting practices and it just looks boring without the hunting part, they do make good entertaining content. The only hobbyists i ever saw that handle their Ts on YT are random/amateur channels.

There are plenty of NW arboreals. Most of them have urticating hairs, too!

No, they do not. Look up Tom Moran on YouTube. He is one of the very few worth watching. Most others are just there for the clicks. Please don't use YouTube as your main source of information. You will find much more valuable tips on Arachnoboards.

Welcome, by the way :D
Well coincidentally, i just found out about Tom's channel yesterday after the channel i usually watch recommended him. I subscribed right away. Haven't watched a full vid yet as they're too long. Despite what you suggest, I'm still gonna be using YT for T info. Afterall, How else am i gonna be able to discover new species and what they look like? Right?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Tagging in here with another question I can't seem to find much of an answer on;

And I mean the ones that don't directly, at the time of releasing, come into contact with you.

Per example - do you need to worry about them if you were to rehouse the T and you handle the substrate or other items in the enclosure, if she at some point kicked some hairs in there? Maybe minutes ago with the rehousing, or maybe days ago for no specific reason.
And if they do stay active for a long time - how hardy are they? Would they survive the washing machine? I surely hope not...
Yes

Very hardy- months

Wash- maybe maybe not. they are all barbed.

I only watch 2 Tarantula channels. Schizo PelmaTV and Exotics Lair. While these 2 are popular for "spoon-feeding" Ts with tongs, which I don't really know why is such a bad thing, besides the fact that they're depriving the Ts their hunting practices and it just looks boring without the hunting part, they do make good entertaining content. The only hobbyists i ever saw that handle their Ts on YT are random/amateur channels.
Ts can chip their fangs on tongs

Also, tons serve as a launch point for a T to leave their damn home!

Happens all the god damn time on here

Entertaining- that’s the problem with such sites

Craven

Arachnopeon

That's a good question! I forgot to add that in my post but the thought was there a few days ago. Thanks for bringing it up.

entomologic

Arachnopeon

Well coincidentally, i just found out about Tom's channel yesterday after the channel i usually watch recommended him. I subscribed right away. Haven't watched a full vid yet as they're too long. Despite what you suggest, I'm still gonna be using YT for T info. Afterall, How else am i gonna be able to discover new species and what they look like? Right?
Don't want to completely hijack the thread, but if you just want 'fun' videos then I'd recommend @basin79's channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmDkmKeVp6Ghkm89qOunTA) he has some awesome feeding videos and close up shots. For informational content Tom is excellent and also Dave's Little Beasties.

I won't regurgitate all the reasons since there are other threads, but Exotics Lair is pretty garbage. Pro-tip if you're spiders constantly bolt and threat posture, they're not happy. I hadn't heard of Schizo Pelma before, but looking at the thumbnails I see lots of handling pics which is immediately off-putting and a sign of bad husbandry.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I only watch 2 Tarantula channels. Schizo PelmaTV and Exotics Lair.
The only hobbyists i ever saw that handle their Ts on YT are random/amateur channels.
I didn't know Schizo PelmaTV, but as @entomologic said, lots of handling in his clips. In a recent clip, he handles a A. geniculata and L. parahybana simultaneously; two species I would not recommend getting my fingers near. Later in that clip, he rehoused a P. cambridgei very unsafely. The poor thing bolted all over the place and he handled it as well. This is also a very unpleasant species to be bitten by. Going through one of his feeding videos, I noticed that none of his NW terrestrials are provided a hide and they have no room to dig either. Of course, they are more visible this way, which is better for YouTube, but it is not beneficial for the animal. Neither this channel, nor Exotics Lair will help you become a better keeper.

Despite what you suggest, I'm still gonna be using YT for T info. Afterall, How else am i gonna be able to discover new species and what they look like?
Do what you want, nobody will stop you. There are, however, different ways to get to learn about new species. Follow, lurk - and participate in - conversations here on AB. People post pictures of the species they keep and you will gain much more knowledge on properly keeping tarantulas than those channels could ever give you.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member

Treat everything in the enclosure as potentially contaminated. Trust me, if you clean out an old enclosure with your bare hands even weeks after the tarantula died, you can still get an itchy rash.

Probably not. The bleach or detergents would likely break down the hairs.