I need urticating hairs information.

KaroKoenig

Arachnobaron
i just found out about Tom's channel yesterday after the channel i usually watch recommended him. I subscribed right away. Haven't watched a full vid yet as they're too long.
You are aware that this hobby requires a bit of patience and an attention span above detection limit, right?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I only watch 2 Tarantula channels. Schizo PelmaTV and Exotics Lair. While these 2 are popular for "spoon-feeding" Ts with tongs, which I don't really know why is such a bad thing, besides the fact that they're depriving the Ts their hunting practices and it just looks boring without the hunting part, they do make good entertaining content. The only hobbyists i ever saw that handle their Ts on YT are random/amateur channels.

Well coincidentally, i just found out about Tom's channel yesterday after the channel i usually watch recommended him. I subscribed right away. Haven't watched a full vid yet as they're too long. Despite what you suggest, I'm still gonna be using YT for T info. Afterall, How else am i gonna be able to discover new species and what they look like? Right?
I have never heard of the first guy but I don't like exotics lair no need to poke your t in my eyes if you want info I like Tom , and the tarantula collective I don't like that he gets his t's out to look at them on the table but his species info is usually OK, bird spiders ch is cool too if you like to see t's in the wild, and love tarantulas by Andrew Smith is good too for wild t's he has full documentary on there. Apart from entertaining purposes though I don't bother with utube. I get my info on here.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I only watch 2 Tarantula channels. Schizo PelmaTV and Exotics Lair.
Don't know the first one (judging by the other comments about frequent handling and a dodgy rehousing it's probably safe to say they're garbage) but I'd struggle to put into words just how bloody awful Exotics Lair is without launching into an expletive-ridden tirade that would probably get me banned.

While these 2 are popular for "spoon-feeding" Ts with tongs, which I don't really know why is such a bad thing
Tarantulas can break their fangs on them, they can also quite easily run up the things and onto you faster than you can react (I've had this happen with an E. cyanognathus when I was still relatively new. Luckily for me, the second it touched my hand it did a 180 and ran back down them).

Well coincidentally, i just found out about Tom's channel yesterday after the channel i usually watch recommended him. I subscribed right away. Haven't watched a full vid yet as they're too long.
The majority of his videos are like 15-30 minutes, if you don't have the patience to sit through a 15-30 minute video then tarantula keeping probably isn't for you tbh.

How else am i gonna be able to discover new species and what they look like? Right?
Taxonomic papers? (although I'm guessing you lack the patience/attention-span)
Here? (Someone will usually post a TL,DR version once they've read through it)
Social media pages of reputable sellers? (Seeing as the more reputable ones actually keep up with taxonomic revisions etc.)

and the tarantula collective I don't like that he gets his t's out to look at them on the table but his species info is usually OK
Tbh, I find some of his info to be pretty iffy, and his videos are so over produced/over edited that they're practically unwatchable.

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Tbh, I find some of his info to be pretty iffy, and his videos are so over produced/over edited that they're practically unwatchable.
Fair does 😊 as I said at the end really I only watch for entertainment purposes now I learnt pretty quickly when I came on the AB that utube is for entertainment not information 😁 I don't even trust care sheets now I come straight on here and ask people I know are successful with the species I am interested in 😉 better way to learn.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Can someone enlighten me please. As a beginner, I've done my research on tarantulas and I'm still having trouble with information on urticating hairs. Google can only provide so much knowledge and it's mostly just elementary too. I need to ask some straightforward questions and i hope someone here can give me clarification.
So, I know most of the people in here might've helped you already. But I'll share to links with you that might also be helpful (and I didn't check if someone already shared in here, tbh, lol).

We know that, currently, there are 7 types of urticanting setae, in this first link, there's an article by Rogerio Bertani, from 2013, describing 6 of them:

This second link is actually, based in the work above, but they put the 7th type, which was discovered only in 2016, in a unique species named Kankuamo marquezi:

Hope this could be helpful. :)

Craven

Arachnopeon
You are aware that this hobby requires a bit of patience and an attention span above detection limit, right?
I am aware that's why i prefer to have slings rather than adults so i can watch them grow over time. You judge someone's patience on whether or not they have time to watch videos? Maybe i just don't have time cus i work nightshifts and spend most of my viewing hours on other channels? If it makes you feel at ease, i just finished a 30-min video about slings for beginners earlier cus i felt i needed the info.

Don't know the first one (judging by the other comments about frequent handling and a dodgy rehousing it's probably safe to say they're garbage) but I'd struggle to put into words just how bloody awful Exotics Lair is without launching into an expletive-ridden tirade that would probably get me banned.
I guess i now realize that they do suck in handling their Ts but i still watch them for the entertainment. Never have i even thought to follow their habits ever since I started watching them but they do have a collection, and watching collections is interesting.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Tagging in here with another question I can't seem to find much of an answer on;

How long do released hairs stay problematic?
And I mean the ones that don't directly, at the time of releasing, come into contact with you.

Per example - do you need to worry about them if you were to rehouse the T and you handle the substrate or other items in the enclosure, if she at some point kicked some hairs in there? Maybe minutes ago with the rehousing, or maybe days ago for no specific reason.
Or if some land (knowingly or not) on your clothes or around the enclosure etc.
And if they do stay active for a long time - how hardy are they? Would they survive the washing machine? I surely hope not...
There will almost certainly be urticating setae around the substrate and perimeter of the enclosure of terrestrial NW tarantulas such as Aphonopelma and Brachypelma species. My B. hamorii in particular, I have watched going around the perimeter laying webbing and then flicking setae onto it!

They setae definitely remain effective, for how long, I could not say. But I have handled substrate from the enclosures of such T’s and had my hands itch for several days. I am sensitive to such things.

No idea about laundry, sorry.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Can someone enlighten me please. As a beginner, I've done my research on tarantulas and I'm still having trouble with information on urticating hairs. Google can only provide so much knowledge and it's mostly just elementary too. I need to ask some straightforward questions and i hope someone here can give me clarification.

1. Are all the visible hair strands on a new world tarantula urticating? Including the ones on the legs? Or are they much smaller and are mostly hidden? - similar to a bird's inner feathers (contour feathers).

2. Old worlds have noticeable hair too, especially the P Cambridgei. Do they possess a different type of hair? Is it possible those hairs will accidentally detach and fly off simulating a "flick".

3. Do tarantulas fully regenerate all their lost hairs (medium-severe) and restore bald patches in a single molt?

4. I see these Youtubers handling their 6-inch new world Ts like they're nothing. Won't the urticating hairs make contact with their skin eventually and don't they worry at all?

Guys, i know the "hairs" aren't actual hairs. I'm just using the term cause it's easier to use.

I appreciate your time and effort for reading and answering my questions. Peace.
Psalmopoeus cambridgei is not an OW T it is a NW tarantula.