I need a compiled list of all Brazilian native Ts!

Sp00derMan

Arachnopeon
Hello friends!
I made an account today! lol. I probably should have made one months ago; but my split personality always tells me "better late than never." AMIRITE??

Anyways....
I'm looking to make a complete compilation of tarantulas native to Brazil and the surrounding areas. Hell, if it's not such a crazy stretch, I may make it all of South America, eventually. Maybe we can do an Excel file and new tabs for each country? I'll worry about the formatting. Please just help me make this list!

Things I'm looking for:
Binomial name, common name, location currently native to.

Thanks all! I love you and look forward to getting to know a bunch of you and how all this works! :D

Sp00derMan

Arachnopeon
What’s the purpose? How would I benefit?
You'll help a small startup company and a dude who's super into Brazil and spiders. :D
I want to breed Brazilian specific tarantulas to help preserve the species there being ousted by deforestation. Plus I'll kneel before you, for you are Viper69, my GOD. lol

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
Plus I'll kneel before you, for you are Viper69, my GOD. lol
calm down buddy :rofl:

You'll help a small startup company and a dude who's super into Brazil and spiders. :D
I want to breed Brazilian specific tarantulas to help preserve the species there being ousted by deforestation.
You're going to need a ton of money and space for all of the other required resources for the Ts alone not even including the required resources and time for breeding.

There are about 16 species in Brazil so I guess a little more manageable. However, there is no way on earth you could keep every single South American species. There are hundreds if not thousands of species, not to mention the fact that people still identify new species and categorize variants as new species.

So unless you're some omniscient and omnipotent being that knows of every T your chances of obtaining every species including the endangered species (which are typically illegal by the way) are very very slim.

I do want to commend you for trying to get into breeding and the business aspect of T keeping. Just remember these are real animals that have real needs. Don't jump into the deep end and then find out you can't stay afloat whether that be time or financially or whatever else. Neglecting these beautiful creatures is no better than someone who abuses their dog.

I would recommend starting off slow and not quitting whatever (if any) current/prior job you have until you can take care of yourself off of the T hobby. Again though this hobby is not about money but about God's beautiful creatures and all of their wonders.

Also ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU HAVE QUESTIONS!!!! even if they seem like minor issues.

Arachno32

Arachnopeon
calm down buddy :rofl:

You're going to need a ton of money and space for all of the other required resources for the Ts alone not even including the required resources and time for breeding.

There are about 16 species in Brazil so I guess a little more manageable. However, there is no way on earth you could keep every single South American species. There are hundreds if not thousands of species, not to mention the fact that people still identify new species and categorize variants as new species.

So unless you're some omniscient and omnipotent being that knows of every T your chances of obtaining every species including the endangered species (which are typically illegal by the way) are very very slim.

I do want to commend you for trying to get into breeding and the business aspect of T keeping. Just remember these are real animals that have real needs. Don't jump into the deep end and then find out you can't stay afloat whether that be time or financially or whatever else. Neglecting these beautiful creatures is no better than someone who abuses their dog.

I would recommend starting off slow and not quitting whatever (if any) current/prior job you have until you can take care of yourself off of the T hobby. Again though this hobby is not about money but about God's beautiful creatures and all of their wonders.

Also ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU HAVE QUESTIONS!!!! even if they seem like minor issues.
Brazil has a heck of a lot more species than a mere 16..its around 180 described species

I want to breed Brazilian specific tarantulas to help preserve the species there being ousted by deforestation. Plus I'll kneel before you, for you are Viper69, my GOD. lol
Purpose of compiling this list sounds rather silly to be honest

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Hello friends!
I made an account today! lol. I probably should have made one months ago; but my split personality always tells me "better late than never." AMIRITE??

Anyways....
I'm looking to make a complete compilation of tarantulas native to Brazil and the surrounding areas. Hell, if it's not such a crazy stretch, I may make it all of South America, eventually. Maybe we can do an Excel file and new tabs for each country? I'll worry about the formatting. Please just help me make this list!

Things I'm looking for:
Binomial name, common name, location currently native to.

Thanks all! I love you and look forward to getting to know a bunch of you and how all this works! :D
You build the list then share it with us all once completed. 😃

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
WSC has a list of described species by country. Won't help you with any undescribed species though.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
I am sure I saw something like this on one of the Andrew Smith docu's , a giant facility where the dude was breeding native sp selling half and putting half back out into the wild. He had so many Brachypelma infact that must have been the docu the Brachypelma one 😆 n while this doesn't help you out with sp maybe look up that place see how much work it takes to run something like that. You never know it may put you off but it may just inspire you 🤷🏻‍♀️

There is some info on it on this site I found, it mentions Tarantulas of Mexico which is the place on the docu.

It also has info on what other countries including Brazil are doing for conservation, again it won't help with sp but may give you a place to start on the conservation side of things.