Tarantula species in Brazil

Pasteo

Arachnopeon
Hi,

maybe someone know how many tarantula species are in Brazil?

Is there a list of tarantulas per country?

Thanks
:)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't think that such a thing exist, but if exist, wouldn't be complete.

Reason = there's an unfinished number of Theraphosidae species that we doesn't know (think about certain African nations etc).

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hi,

maybe someone know how many tarantula species are in Brazil?

Thanks
:)
There are 199 species of tarantulas officially described in Brazil. Although there is no listing of tarantula species by all countries that I am aware of, I can provide a list of all described tarantula species and what country they occur in. Or if you have a specific country in mind, I can provide that listing too.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
There are 199 species of tarantulas officially described in Brazil. Although there is no listing of tarantula species by all countries that I am aware of, I can provide a list of all described tarantula species and what country they occur in. Or if you have a specific country in mind, I can provide that listing too.
I'd like that data, if you would be so kind. When you say described, are you referring to T's that are formally described (ex Poecilotheria rufilata) or does it include informally described species as well (ex Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue)?

Thanks,
--Matt

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I'd like that data, if you would be so kind. When you say described, are you referring to T's that are formally described (ex Poecilotheria rufilata) or does it include informally described species as well (ex Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue)?

Thanks,
--Matt
PM sent with the list and the answer to your question.

Lizardfreak

Arachnopeon
I know this is older but can I get this list as well?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Same same. I would LOVE that list. I’m an organization freak and having a list would soothe my soul. Please if you would be so kind I would be indebted to you for eternity!
Jeez, maybe we should just post the list lol. @AphonopelmaTX, I'll send him the copy you sent me.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Jeez, maybe we should just post the list lol. @AphonopelmaTX, I'll send him the copy you sent me.
Thanks for sending the list to YoshiDavid. The primary reason I never made the list available on this site for everyone to download is because I was, and still not, sure if it violates copyright rules of this site and/or of the World Spider Catalog. The data itself came from the World Spider Catalog, but I put the data in my own relational database so I could query it using SQL. Since the source of the data was the World Spider Catalog, but formatted differently, I'm not sure if I would be violating any copyright rules or laws by making species lists available to the general internet public. I would rather play it safe and not do so.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for sending the list to YoshiDavid. The primary reason I never made the list available on this site for everyone to download is because I was, and still not, sure if it violates copyright rules of this site and/or of the World Spider Catalog. The data itself came from the World Spider Catalog, but I put the data in my own relational database so I could query it using SQL. Since the source of the data was the World Spider Catalog, but formatted differently, I'm not sure if I would be violating any copyright rules or laws by making species lists available to the general internet public. I would rather play it safe and not do so.
I think we're good from the WSC perspective. They offer a .csv download with the same information under a Creative Commons license (we just need to list the WSC as the source and link the license). I'm guessing you used the API to pull to your table? Or did you use the .csv or scrape it yourself? Unfortunately, I can't answer from AB's perspective. @Arachnopets, any insight?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I think we're good from the WSC perspective. They offer a .csv download with the same information under a Creative Commons license (we just need to list the WSC as the source and link the license). I'm guessing you used the API to pull to your table? Or did you use the .csv or scrape it yourself? Unfortunately, I can't answer from AB's perspective. @Arachnopets, any insight?
I will look into the matter outside of a public discussion forum. If you want technical details where I got the data, and how I setup my database, feel free to PM me.