I made a mistake. Advice?

kooky

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the hobby!

I STRONGLY suggest you do A LOT of reading and research (NOT from care sheets found on the web) esp on this forum if you want this to occur based on the info I read in your first post. Obtaining these animals without doing so was your mistake.

It boggles my mind why people get exotic animals without doing the proper research first. Your pets' survival is totally up to you.
you're right, i thought i knew enough about how to feed them, their behaviours, moulting etc. But i didn't research enough into the actual behaviour of spiderlings or bother to ask my friend so the fact it buried itself freaked me out. I've only dealt with mostly adults at my friends house and i had never seen this burying behaviour with any of them. in my naivety i assumed it was the same for spiderlings. It was my mistake and i'm just glad my panic stricken moment didn't cost his life. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you're right, i thought i knew enough about how to feed them, their behaviours and moulting etc. But i didn't research enough into the actual behaviour of spiderlings or bother to ask my friend so the fact it buried itself freaked me out. I've only dealt with mostly adults at my friends house and i had never seen this burying behaviour with any of them. in my naivety i assumed it was the same for spiderlings. It was my mistake and i'm just glad my panic stricken moment didn't cost his life. Thanks for the advice.
Welcome to the hobby we're here 24/7 and most of us are friendly, some are crazy but we all love this hobby and the tarantulas we keep.

Your friend sounds like a keeper, as for the species you have they are on the hardy side of the spectrum so they should be fine if you feed them regularly and keep part of the substrate a little moist. The E sp reds will take an age to get mature the smithi will take a little less than an age. The amazing albopilosum will grow a lot quicker and will fire an obsession. If there's anything else you need to know ask there's no such thing as a silly question and the search facility on here is also fantastic

kooky

Arachnosquire
Welcome to the hobby we're here 24/7 and most of us are friendly, some are crazy but we all love this hobby and the tarantulas we keep.

Your friend sounds like a keeper, as for the species you have they are on the hardy side of the spectrum so they should be fine if you feed them regularly and keep part of the substrate a little moist. The E sp reds will take an age to get mature the smithi will take a little less than an age. The amazing albopilosum will grow a lot quicker and will fire an obsession. If there's anything else you need to know ask there's no such thing as a silly question and the search facility on here is also fantastic
yeah the reason we decided on the albopilosum, was because the other two species take so long to grow (and frankly who doesn't like how cool they look! her female is particularly 'fluffy' looking as well so i can only hope mine will be as beautiful), but those e sp.red and the b smithi species have always been some of my favourites in her collection so i deem them worth the wait :), thanks for the welcome, it is appreciated, by everyone who has helped :)

Last edited:

Haemus

Arachnosquire
yeah the reason we decided on the albopilosum, was because the other two species take so long to grow (and frankly who doesn't like how cool they look! her female is particularly 'fluffy' looking as well so i can only hope mine will be as beautiful), but those e sp.red and the b smithi species have always been some of my favourites in her collection so i deem them worth the wait :), thanks for the welcome, it is appreciated, by everyone who has helped :)
That's quite a friend you got there :) I have to agree, those B. albo's sure look cool. Saw a beautiful one at the last expo that I had to tear myself away from.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have all 3 species you've obtained only with a slight twist. I have an adult female Euathlus sp red, a B smithi 1.5" sling and a juvenile B albopilosum ( hobby form) but on Tuesday this week I took delivery of a true B albopilosum so as you can see I love albos they are brilliant tarantulas for new and old keepers

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I really love my girlie B. albopilosum, who's now close to mature. I predict that you'll fall heads over heels for your little curly beast. Mine is my first, VERY cute, docile except for the time she was a teenager. All Ts are individuals, so are cranky. (NOTE TO OLDTIMERS/EXPERTS: yes I know it's really defensive, not cranky. Maybe). I learned from the experts on this page and so will you. Enjoy.

kooky

Arachnosquire
I have all 3 species you've obtained only with a slight twist. I have an adult female Euathlus sp red, a B smithi 1.5" sling and a juvenile B albopilosum ( hobby form) but on Tuesday this week I took delivery of a true B albopilosum so as you can see I love albos they are brilliant tarantulas for new and old keepers
o i thought there was only one kind of b.albo. I'm pretty sure hers was a true, as that.s what she always calls it. I had no idea there was a hobby version. ;o Im assuming the true version is much closer to their wild look?

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
o i thought there was only one kind of b.albo. I'm pretty sure hers was a true, as that.s what she always calls it. I had no idea there was a hobby version. ;o Im assuming the true version is much closer to their wild look?
The true IS the wild look.

kooky

Arachnosquire
The true IS the wild look.
that just makes me love my albop even more, i love how beautiful her adults are. its one of the ones i first fell in love with in her collection. its like a fluffy ball that crunches it way through cockroaches. love it.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
that just makes me love my albop even more, i love how beautiful her adults are. its one of the ones i first fell in love with in her collection. its like a fluffy ball that crunches it way through cockroaches. love it.
If its an albo she bred, its a hobby form almost certainly.

kooky

Arachnosquire
If its an albo she bred, its a hobby form almost certainly.
No she bought both the male and female adults last year i think? i'd need to ask her but she definitely didn't breed them, this was the first successful batch of spiderlings she has gotten from the pair. She said she actually planned on keeping most of them because she loves them so much. But they are both pretty fluffy looking, i just assumed all albop looked this way. Now I've looked at some of the hobby ones, im surprised at the difference tbh. Would it be possible to make a thread tracking my spiderlings progress, then others can decide if it is a hobby or true form, now im not so sure. She called it a true b.albop when she was talking about them.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah the true version looks like a lot "fluffier" so to speak whereas the hobby form still as long setae just not as long or as out of control.
The hobby form is said to basically be an hybrid of B albopilosum and B vagans although to me just looking of course as I'm not that upto date on the genetic makeup of tarantulas it looks more like an hybrid of B albopilosum and B verdezi but like I said I'm no expert

Sana

Arachnoprince
No she bought both the male and female adults last year i think? i'd need to ask her but she definitely didn't breed them, this was the first successful batch of spiderlings she has gotten from the pair. She said she actually planned on keeping most of them because she loves them so much. But they are both pretty fluffy looking, i just assumed all albop looked this way. Now I've looked at some of the hobby ones, im surprised at the difference tbh. Would it be possible to make a thread tracking my spiderlings progress, then others can decide if it is a hobby or true form, now im not so sure. She called it a true b.albop when she was talking about them.
Threads that I have to track progress of a particular project, species, or individual get put into the Tarantula Chat section on the forum. That way they are easily accessible but they don't move threads that are more discussion, help needed, or scientifically interesting down the list in this section.