I made a mistake. Advice?

kooky

Arachnosquire
so i'm brand new to tarantula keeping. Literally started this week lol.
My friend gave me 4 spiderlings that she had bred. She gave me 3 different species that she said were very good for beginners as they are all quite docile (so i could get used to dealing with tarantulas without having a crazy one go at me, i have seen her OBT!) and relatively hardy.
The list is as follows;
2x Euthalos sp.red
1x B.Smithi
1x B.Alpob

if i get the name wrong i apologise. Anyway this morning i saw one of the Sp.red was at the bottom of a tube and it appeared to have been buried alive. I, instead of asking my friend, completely panicked and retrieved him from the bottom and moved him to another container, that is slightly bigger. But since then, it has pretty much stayed in the same spot with its legs curled around it. not under it just tucked in all around it, it isn't interested in eating (the other 3 have all has food, the b.smithi only eats dead crickets atm) and just stays with its legs curled up. Im pretty sure i didn't injure it when i moved it, but i'm worried its going to die from stress or something. My other Sp.red is i think about 1/2 molts larger and already runs freely onto my hand when i open the tub, and is quite active, completely different to this one. I Know i should have researched before doing anything, and have literally spent all day researching everything i can, but i'm really worried i may have caused its untimely death.

20160804_231658.jpg
I apologise for the terrible image quality, but that is the sp.red that i'm worried about, he hasn't moved at all, and hasn't touched any food. I'm so worried my mistake may have cost him.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Doesn't look like a death curl. Many terrestrial species will burrow as slings. They're generally fine without human intervention. :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Tarantulas are good at digging themselves out of collapsed burrows. Unless you have put a rock inside their enclosure - they will get themselves out. In the future, there is no need to dig him out.
It sounds as if he is stressed out - that is what it means when they cover their carapace with their legs. He is stressed out from being moved and being dug out.
I would leave him alone for a few days and let him recover from being rehoused.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Doesn't look like a death curl. Many terrestrial species will burrow as slings. They're generally fine without human intervention. :)
So you don't think he is going to die? from my excavation of him? he just seems to be so lethargic now compared to the other 3 im concerned for him. Ty for the advice though.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
So you don't think he is going to die? from my excavation of him? he just seems to be so lethargic now compared to the other 3 im concerned for him. Ty for the advice though.
Nope. Just a bit if stress. Some alone time will be all it needs.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Tarantulas are good at digging themselves out of collapsed burrows. Unless you have put a rock inside their enclosure - they will get themselves out. In the future, there is no need to dig him out.
It sounds as if he is stressed out - that is what it means when they cover their carapace with their legs. He is stressed out from being moved and being dug out.
I would leave him alone for a few days and let him recover from being rehoused.
yeah i know now not to dig them out, it was a really silly panic on my behalf. I'm glad you think he is only stressed, i'll leave him be for a few days and wont try to feed him until next week. thanks.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
By the way, that is a pretty decent friend you have there - a keeper for sure. Those are some awesome spiders you have and are at the very top of the list for new people. The Euathlus and the B. smithi are going to be slower growers, but your B. albopilosum will make up for that. Those B. albos are so awesome.
You're very lucky. I need some friends like that. :)

kooky

Arachnosquire
By the way, that is a pretty decent friend you have there - a keeper for sure. Those are some awesome spiders you have and are at the very top of the list for new people. The Euathlus and the B. smithi are going to be slower growers, but your B. albopilosum will make up for that. Those B. albos are so awesome.
yeah she gave me a list of some others (i cannot remember the names i think brazillian black? was one) , and she helped me to narrow down the ones on the list to what she thought would be best for me and what i liked the look of :) she is quite an awesome friend indeed.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I need some friends like that. :)
Me too! :-s

but not friends (they will keep those :shifty:) I need to be specific, other perfectly unknow people living here in neighbour regions buying T's only for end with their Lady/Wife screaming and threatening them for that. I love to enter in those situations and save the marriage, ending with free T's and a "Thank You" ah ah :)

Last time three 0.1 in a row, including Djanice, my Megaphobema robustum :angelic:

So I'm always with my ears/eyes open for those. Here in Italy 95% of Ladies absolutely not tolerate spiders etc

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Your photo just loaded for me, I couldn't view it before. That enclosure is way too big for them and the vast amount of space could keep him stressed out. I would put him into a smaller container.
This is the size of container that I have my Euathlus spiderlings in.
_DSC2074-2.jpg

kooky

Arachnosquire
Your photo just loaded for me, I couldn't view it before. That enclosure is way too big for them and the vast amount of space could keep him stressed out. I would put him into a smaller container.
This is the size of container that I have my Euathlus spiderlings in.
View attachment 217101
i had him in a tube like that before, that's what my b.smithi and albo are in. Should i move him back into it now or leave it a few days for him to chill out a bit. GAH i'm such a panicky spiderling mum D: and cant help but feel incredibly guilty for stressing him in the first place.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
yeah she gave me a list of some others (i cannot remember the names i think brazillian black? was one) , and she helped me to narrow down the ones on the list to what she thought would be best for me and what i liked the look of :) she is quite an awesome friend indeed.
Next time, don't turn down the Brazilian Black (Grammostola pulchra). They are the most awesome spider ever and they are hard to come by and usually very expensive.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
i had him in a tube like that before, that's what my b.smithi and albo are in. Should i move him back into it now or leave it a few days for him to chill out a bit. GAH i'm such a panicky spiderling mum D: and cant help but feel incredibly guilty for stressing him in the first place.
Move him back into the smaller container.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
B. albopilosum's ROCK!

kooky

Arachnosquire
Move him back into the smaller container.
ok he is back in the small container, omg i feel terrible, his lil legs and face are just screaming at me to leave him alone. The other sp.red is in the same size pot, but its at least x.5 bigger and is eating perfectly fine.

kooky

Arachnosquire
Next time, don't turn down the Brazilian Black (Grammostola pulchra). They are the most awesome spider ever and they are hard to come by and usually very expensive.
i had no idea they were so rare. She was going to give me one of her juvenile ones for free. but as long as i can get these guys to adulthood and living healthily ill be happy

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
ok he is back in the small container, omg i feel terrible, his lil legs and face are just screaming at me to leave him alone. The other sp.red is in the same size pot, but its at least x.5 bigger and is eating perfectly fine.
Don't feel terrible, many new comers will panic and dig their spiderlings out. I have yet to hear of anyone who did permanent damage to them. He'll recover. He is just stressed out and wants it to all be over. He should be back to normal in a few days. Give him a few days and let us know if he is still acting stressed out.
Now, go and have yourself a drink. ;)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but as long as i can get these guys to adulthood
Welcome to the hobby!

I STRONGLY suggest you do A LOT of reading and research (NOT from care sheets found on the web) esp on this forum if you want this to occur based on the info I read in your first post. Obtaining these animals without doing so was your mistake.

It boggles my mind why people get exotic animals without doing the proper research first. Your pets' survival is totally up to you.