I figured out why some people have so many tarantulas

How many tarantulas do you have?

• Total voters

boina

Lady of the mites
Ok, since @sdsnybny confessed, so can I. I'm at 153 at the moment, but only because I miscounted before the last show and bought 3 more than I should have... :penguin: I didn't want to have more than 150. You have to draw the line somewhere, after all :pompous:. Now I need to wait until I can sell off some males before I get more.

Edit: it's only tarantulas for me, though. No scorps or these things with more legs than should be allowed. 8 legs is plenty on one animal, thank you very much.

I've the big advantage/disadvantage of being able to fill my house with as many tarantulas as I want and no one can tell me otherwise :D.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Ok, since @sdsnybny confessed, so can I. I'm at 153 at the moment
I've the big advantage/disadvantage of being able to fill my house with as many tarantulas as I want and no one can tell me otherwise :D.
This^^^^ I am retired and single so they are everywhere, living room, Kitchen, dinning room and I actually dont have a dinning table its a T hobby table ;)

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
I had three until my MM Greenbottle blue passed away. Now currently trying to convince my girlfriend to let me have more since I really want to keep one or two Poecilotheria species. If it were up to me I'd already have our reptile room filled with Ts lol Already got a zoo in our apartment so why not expand the collection.

In addition to more Ts I'd like to keep a Panther Chameleon along with my Veiled chameleon.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
40 something owned with a huge mix of OW and NW. All the room in world. I have a 3rd bedroom just for the T's.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I have about 130 tarantulas. I need to sell a few. I remember saying 50 would be where I would stop. Add in about 55 scorpions a couple centipedes and some various other bugs. Serious time commitment that I enjoy. There is a show this weekend. The goal is to come home with fewer than I arrive with. Goals are nice.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I have around 30 tarantulas, I feed them and... that's it. Aside from looking at them and occasionally taking pictures, nothing happens. I made sure to obtain only fast growers when I started this hobby but they still grow sooooo slow. I can see myself breaking 50 tarantulas easily if I was certain I won't be moving in the near future. Hell, if I had a big house and a stable job I might even become one of those crazy cat lady tarantula dude with over 100 tarantulas. Currently I'm tempted to get some moderate and slow growers which I've been completely avoiding because they grow so painfully slow. Maybe I just need to get another 10 more LPs. Anyone here with over 100 tarantulas? How many do you have? Is it enough to feed the addiction?

Edit: The poll is not an e-peen measuring contest, just curious on the number of tarantulas people have.
Its never enough to feed the addiction. I think because there is so much choice with Ts, colour, size, arborial, terrestrial, fossorial, feeding habits, the list goes on. I think this is part of the reason that the hobby addictive?

aphono

Arachnobaron
22 here. Didn't intend to get more than say, 10ish when I started out with 4 early this year.

Turns out I get such joy out of feeding them.. :angelic: It takes an effort not to feed them too much, too often. I really will have to force myself to pace the feedings once most of the slings(only two adults right now) have reached the size when their growth rate slows down. Which is hard as the baby whipscorpions need to eat often... need to make regular trips to get feeders for these. ahhh so much mealworms, waxworms, hornworms, giant tubs of crickets in small, medium, large sitting right there in front of my face in the shop... begging to come home and "make friends" with my critters.... So yeah, I've occasionally "had to get one or two more" to take care of those "excess feeders".

The other part of it is being so new and not knowing yet whether I would enjoy a variety of species or multiples of fewer species- and in this case, which species?

I have a TON of empty space, including an mostly empty spare bedroom.. so space is not an issue. I'm actually being surprisingly good at not going crazy with new acquisitions..

TarantulaBella

Arachnopeon
I have six, over a span of two years. That's pretty good side I'm a 14 year old kid living under my parents roof.
B. hamorii
B. albopilosum
B. boehmei
G. rosea
C.cyaneopubescens
A. chalcodes
I also have three millipedes, a pacman frog, and a leopard gecko.
Love em all to death and I don't know how to explain it lol.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I have 5 and would like a few more. I really like putting together enclosures, it is my favorite part. Also sharing what i learn about them with others. I'm not as wild about feeding them.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
It may sound like a lot when I say I have more than two dozen but about half of those are small Aphonopelma slings! You think Brachypelma grow slow? To me, they grow fast! :wacky: But then I saw my Idiothele mira half out of their burrow today and whoa!!! :wideyed: :D

I had to get more tarantulas to spread out the TLC and not annoy them too much, lol! :happy: Oh, and of course I love the variety of appearance and behavior!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As others have said, spiderlings can throw these numbers out of whack. Many of us breed, buy, and sell. Having 300 2i slings takes up the size of a milk crate, so it's not quite fair to count them.

Talking about my "keepers" only (ones that are not for sale), I'd guess around 150 with about 20 of them being slings.

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Ok, since @sdsnybny confessed, so can I. I'm at 153 at the moment, but only because I miscounted before the last show and bought 3 more than I should have... :penguin: I didn't want to have more than 150. You have to draw the line somewhere, after all :pompous:. Now I need to wait until I can sell off some males before I get more.

Edit: it's only tarantulas for me, though. No scorps or these things with more legs than should be allowed. 8 legs is plenty on one animal, thank you very much.

153! ** sneaks in and opens all the enclosures **

Edit: I doubt Ill reach 30! My wish list is very short!

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As others have said, spiderlings can throw these numbers out of whack. Many of us breed, buy, and sell. Having 300 2i slings takes up the size of a milk crate, so it's not quite fair to count them.
Talking about my "keepers" only (ones that are not for sale), I'd guess around 150 with about 20 of them being slings.
How many hours a week do you spend on feeding, maintenance, etc.?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
How many hours a week do you spend on feeding, maintenance, etc.?
it takes me about 2-3hrs 3 times a week or so but in addition to my horde I am raising slings for three friends in trade for a female from their group so add about 70-85 more in that 153

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
I'm sitting at 8 tarantulas and a freebie scorpion I got at the last expo. I currently have them sitting on my dresser in my bedroom. We are running out of room so I'm planning on getting a shelving unit this weekend. Although once I get the shelving unit I'm going to have too much room so ill probably have to get more T's....:cigar: