I figured out why some people have so many tarantulas

How many tarantulas do you have?

• Total voters

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
I have around 30 tarantulas, I feed them and... that's it. Aside from looking at them and occasionally taking pictures, nothing happens. I made sure to obtain only fast growers when I started this hobby but they still grow sooooo slow. I can see myself breaking 50 tarantulas easily if I was certain I won't be moving in the near future. Hell, if I had a big house and a stable job I might even become one of those crazy cat lady tarantula dude with over 100 tarantulas. Currently I'm tempted to get some moderate and slow growers which I've been completely avoiding because they grow so painfully slow. Maybe I just need to get another 10 more LPs. Anyone here with over 100 tarantulas? How many do you have? Is it enough to feed the addiction?

Edit: The poll is not an e-peen measuring contest, just curious on the number of tarantulas people have.

Last edited:

sasker

Arachnoprince
Sssso... You have 30 tarantulas because they grow slowly? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Ethel Webster

Arachnosquire
I suppose the more you have the more likely you'll see some out and about. I have 2 Versi slings and would now like a terrestrial one.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Sssso... You have 30 tarantulas because they grow slowly? That doesn't make sense.
Their metabolism is slow so I don't get much action thus having a higher quantity would increase the frequency of action I get. If they ate like mantises then I would be content with only one tarantula per species. The mantis I had last year was a monster. It would take a few mealworms a day, everyday.

Besides, that was what I've seen people here recommend.
"Tarantula full? Buy more!"
"Tarantula hiding? Buy more!"
"Tarantula premolt? Buy more!"

sasker

Arachnoprince
Their metabolism is slow so I don't get much action thus having a higher quantity would increase the frequency of action I get.
Ah, I see. You are one of these people who like feeding their tarantulas. So am I. :) And you are right about mantises. They are great fun. The very actively eat their prey, as opposed to a tarantula that just stands their with a roach in its mouth, looking silly. I usually catch one in spring and release them fattened up to breed by the end of the summer. It's a pity they don't get very old.

Assassin bugs are fun too.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have a nice amount. 14. Of course I'd like more but I don't have the space or the money. Well to be honest with renting a house I don't feel "safe" using another room for more T's. So it's down to money and reluctance really. I do have a few more pets though as well as my tarantulas.

Tarantulas

NW
Brachypelma hamorii
Caribena versicolor
Cyriocosmus ritae
Grammostola iheringi
Grammostola pulchra
Pamphobeteus antinous
Pamphobeteus sp Costa
Theraphosa blondi

OW
Chilobrachys fimbriatus
Cyriopagopus hati hati
Heteroscodra maculata
Idiothele mira
Poecilotheria subfusca lowland
Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli

Spiders
Cyclocosmia ricketti
Eresus moravicus
Gandanameno sp
Heteropoda lunula
Hyllus diardi
Macrothele gigas x 2
Phidippus regius
Porrhothele antipodiana
Sicarius terrosus

Centipedes
Scolopendra hardwickei
Scolopendra viridicornis

Vinegaroon
Mastigoproctus giganteus

Praying mantis
Idolomantis diabolica

Ants
Harpegnathos venator colony

Assassin bugs.
Psytalla horrida x 2

Lizard
Tokay gecko (Zeus)

Snake
Tricoloured hognose (Harley Quinn)

Parrot
Senegal (Pandora)

Dog
Caucasian Shepherd (Typhon)

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I started getting more and more because about half of my collection would go into premoult and stop killing things at the same time, I like watching things get killed so you can kinda see the problem here :rofl:

I do have the option of using the box room as a T room when I eventually run out of space in my room though.

Colette

Arachnopeon
I'm up to 9, with 5 more NW on my immediate shortlist. If I had a spare room I could easily end up with way more. I'm just far too paranoid about my cats so all the Ts have to stay in the one cat free room with limited space.

Two main reasons for me. One, so there is always someone to look at or feed etc. Two because I like the variety, so I want various sizes, colours, attitudes etc.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I have 48 with 7 coming today plus a freebie and 3 coming Friday plus a freebie.

I buy more because of the same reasons other folks have stated: I like to see them kill prey, because I brought some slow growing brackies and needed other Ts to take my mine off them lol.

I have finally got some that have been out of my reach for a while like Chilobrachy electric blue & Harpactira pulchripes.

When I first came into this Hobby I wanted P metallica so bad.....Fast forward many yrs later I don't care if I get it any more or not I've falling in love with old world pet holes.

They grow fast, hardy slings, always feisty, great eaters and lovely colors!!!

I'm currently after Typhochlaena seladonia, P solaris and juvenile avics...

Last edited:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, or merely immerse yourself in it.

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
I have 3 including 2 tiny 1/4” slings. I just started keeping Ts recently, and I think my collection will stop there since I live in a smallish apartment with 2 cats who I’m very concerned about. I hope to eventually move somewhere with an extra room for Ts but even then I’ll probably stick to a small collection of sweet NW spooders. I definitely understand the compulsion to get more though. I’m curious about pretty much all species. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
52 or something. A mix of OW, NW, arboreal, fossorial and those boring terrestrials. ;)

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I have 10. 7 old worlds and 3 new worlds. You want to talk about slow growers i have 2 p.muticus, my god they haven't grown half an inch in the 7 months I have owned both of them. Don't get me wrong they are probably my favorites because they are always digging and working on their burrow systems but by far the slowest growers in my collection.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have 10. 7 old worlds and 3 new worlds. You want to talk about slow growers i have 2 p.muticus, my god they haven't grown half an inch in the 7 months I have owned both of them. Don't get me wrong they are probably my favorites because they are always digging and working on their burrow systems but by far the slowest growers in my collection.
Got a 1" P muticus Aug 13-2013. Just molted a couple days ago to 5". :shifty:

Deeser

Arachnosquire
I started with 3 thinking that would be enough, but then I bred a batch of crickets and had more feeders than I knew what to do with, so of course had to purchase more spiders to eat the crickets.

But now all those 9 spiders are fat and in premolt fasting, so my crickets are growing and not getting eaten... Guess time for 10 more Ts... I'll find the balance.... One day.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I'm only at 9 right now, and I've filled up my writing desk with them, so I think this is my limit for now. I actually just wanted one when I started, but buying just half a dozen or a dozen crickets once a month seemed odd, especially when they started dying off before I could feed them to the T. So then I started adding more mouths to feed. :)

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Currently @130 T"s, 16 Scorps, 2 Centipedes, 1 Whip Scorpion. I've been as high as 200 T"s and if you count spiderlings from breeding then easily over 1000