I feel like a jerk.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. Im going to get a hold of that place and if I still cant find anywhere locally, I will take her there.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. Im going to get a hold of that place and if I still cant find anywhere locally, I will take her there.
Good idea, My last rat was put to sleep because of a almost identical tumor to the one your rat has. The vet said that it was most likely cancer, and had I not had him put to sleep the tumor would have kept growing untill it caused the skin to split and the rat would have bled to death.

2 hours isn't that bad considering the alternative.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm hoping he went today. I had mine put to sleep for the same reason. Their little lives are so darn short.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen tumors like that rupture, drain, and scab over without an issue. If it's not causing her any noticable discomfort, I don't see any reason to have her put to sleep at this point.

Sorry if I missed where he said it was causing her discomfort, if he did.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've seen tumors like that rupture, drain, and scab over without an issue. If it's not causing her any noticable discomfort, I don't see any reason to have her put to sleep at this point.

Sorry if I missed where he said it was causing her discomfort, if he did.
Missed what is causing discomfort? Hmmm....tumors, eyes bulging, not eating, biting out in pain........I sure hope I am never reincarnated as a pet in your care because what you so obviously do not know about animals is that they hide their pain very well - it's called survival. Noticeable discomfort? What do you want the rat to do, write you a letter?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Missed what is causing discomfort? Hmmm....tumors, eyes bulging, not eating, biting out in pain........I sure hope I am never reincarnated as a pet in your care because what you so obviously do not know about animals is that they hide their pain very well - it's called survival. Noticeable discomfort? What do you want the rat to do, write you a letter?
Here's the deal.......NO ONE, including YOU, XHEXDEX, know what it is like to be anything but human - you just assume that you know how all other living creatures think and feel -but that is impossible to know.
Nice contradiction. You're assuming the tumor causes discomfort. You assume the eyes are bulging in the first place (they're not) and then you're assuming they cause discomfort.

Biting out in pain? Was the rat squeaking when it was biting? If not...sorry, no indicator that it's a symptom of discomfort.

As far as noticable discomfort...someone as 'seasoned' with animals as you would surely know that rats do, in fact, squeak when they are in pain.

Funny you talk about reincarnation here and pearly gates on another thread -confused?

Wait, don't answer - I already know.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just my opinion on the survival part of your post Kathy.
what you so obviously do not know about animals is that they hide their pain very well - it's called survival.
Animals arent like us they look for any ability to live, and don't commit suicide because they can't live through something. When their bodies finally can't handle it, they just curll up and sleep. Continouis sleep, that leads to the end of them. (its not suicide because they've used up their available sources of energy)

We see pain differently, the survival instinct in most of us isn't active as strongly as other animals, especially when we are weak with our emotions - which is our weakness, but also our strength.

In the end, its for our own emotional value that we put critters to sleep - because it is usually our fault we have caused those sicknesses that persit in them, be it that we've interbred them for thousands of years, or that we accidently drop them and cause irriversable damage (t's)

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bad news

Well I checked on her this morning when I woke up. She is breathing very heavily, she can barely move, and she is shaking very badly. I have been rubbing her head and she just closes her eyes when I do.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I checked on her this morning when I woke up. She is breathing very heavily, she can barely move, and she is shaking very badly. I have been rubbing her head and she just closes her eyes when I do.
Ok, that is a sign (to me) that there's more going on than just that tumor. My guess is that she's got cancer in other parts of her body as well.

I feel that your best option (if it's possible) is to have her put to sleep at this point.

Part of the reason I don't keep rats any more - I get too attached to them.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea, this will be my last rat as well. I will keep you all updated on what happens.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Her one eye that bulges has some yellow liquid coming out of it. She isnt moving much and is still shaking. I have been rubbing her ears to try to comfort her. I would be surprised if she lived through the night.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Part of the reason I don't keep rats any more - I get too attached to them.
I am so sorry to hear about this, Jake. I share the same sentiment as both you and Joe...their lives are far too short. My last girl cost me over $500 in vet bills on her final night, only for me to be told that she had cancer and the treatment cost would start at $1200.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have her out now and I can see that her tumor has grown more over the past few days. Her eye is still draining pretty badly. She is moving s little more now that Im holding her though.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could have held her on your lap on the way to the 2 hr away vet.

Sorry to hear though its sad.

Crysta

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have her out now and I can see that her tumor has grown more over the past few days. Her eye is still draining pretty badly. She is moving s little more now that Im holding her though.
.......So....Do you plan on having her put to sleep? You seem to be waiting a bit long.....:(

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow, i'm really late to this thread...

its tragic that rats seem to be very prone to these types of tumors, cancer, etc. the store i work at was breeding blue rats for a small amount of time, and would try and find new blood but it seems that the blue colour was especially prone to having their lives shortened, so i eventually convinced them to pull the plug on breeding them entirely. i don't know if any but the last batch are alive now, two/three years after the fact. it was heartbreaking witnessing it firsthand with the female i bought (who we never figured out how she exactly died, since it was rather sudden compared to her siblings) and hearing the other owners, some of whom i'd grown very close to, tell me about the complications.

as others have said, i think from seeing the pics and my experiences from what i've seen/heard, euthanasia is, indeed, your best option.

its a pity rats have such short lives, they truely are wonderful creatures. i wish you both the best and hope her suffering ends soon. the attachment versus the time you get is short and heartbreaking, imo so i haven't kept any rodents since because of that reason :(

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
.......So....Do you plan on having her put to sleep? You seem to be waiting a bit long.....:(
Yes I do. I have been trying to find a more local place, but nothing. Im calling the LPS on monday to see if they know of any place, if the dont, then Im going to try to get some time to go to the distant place and have her taken care of there. Thanks for all of help everybody. I will let you know on monday what happened.

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As others have said, I'd go ahead and put her down if you haven't already. So sorry for your loss man.

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sorry she has worsened. Putting a good friend to sleep is heartbreaking, but only for us. Remember...new legs;new wings. She's ready for freedom, now.