I can't believe my eyes!!!

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
2,174
I just looked into my female H. lividum's enclosure and I can't believe what I'm seeing.
Remember my thread, New breeding project? Well forget about it.
She's sitting on top of an eggcase. She must be wildcaught.

HELP ME !!!

Ernie

BTW, I have a mature male. I'll be posting for a breeding loan, tomorrow.

WOW!!! =D
 

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
1,488
Ooooooooooo I hope it's viable and just FULL of little leggy darlings!
Congrates!
 

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 4, 2002
Messages
706
You know you're good when you don't even have to put your male and female together to get eggs!=D Congatulations and good luck!


John
 

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
1,488
If the sack turns out to be a good one tell me how much your gonna sell them for.

Thanks :)

I'd like to buy a few if I can. :)
 

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
296
Hey Ernie,
if you have Blue Cobalt slings in the future, remember to donate 10 slings to Arachnopets. So we can play the guessing contest again. that contest was fun! :) well. it was an idea. I know I wouldn't donate it because Cobalts are awesome Ts. Well good luck....
 
Last edited:

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
202
*Ssiigghh*

I was trying to cut back on buying more T's.... but i guess itll never happen, seems you wont be having trouble sellin em off if it does turn out to have alot of em eh ernie? :D =D
 

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 10, 2002
Messages
624
The very same thing happened to me today.
winter must be a very good time to buy wild caught adults. my H. maculata i got for christmas is currently guarding an eggsac.;)
 

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
1,885
Originally posted by MrT
I just looked into my female H. lividum's enclosure and I can't believe what I'm seeing.
Remember my thread, New breeding project? Well forget about it.
She's sitting on top of an eggcase. She must be wildcaught.

HELP ME !!!

Ernie

BTW, I have a mature male. I'll be posting for a breeding loan, tomorrow.

WOW!!! =D
Congrats Ernie! You're lucky. I wish you the best! :)

Atrax
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,776
Many congrats Ernie! The first thing I would strongly urge you to do is fill your water dish up to the brim with something like aquarium gravel. The Asians are reknowned for dumping their sacs in their water dishes, causing them to go off. Either that or remove the dish altogether for the incubation period.

Hope his helps,
Steve
 

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Joined
Oct 12, 2002
Messages
903
Congratulations, Ernie! You have just won the equivalent of the lottery in tarantula-keeping terms :)

Joy
 

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Dec 29, 2002
Messages
285
I always wanted a colbalt sling...

only problem is I dread it may die becuase of not enough humidity :(

I cant wait till I move and all my T's get there own room.
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,776
Originally posted by Bob the thief
I always wanted a colbalt sling...

only problem is I dread it may die becuase of not enough humidity :(

Hi Bob,
There's a trick to the Asians, they seriously don't need the ventilation that is afforded to most new worlders. Many can be kept with a reasonable amount of humidity and glass covers (although this is extreme, I would always recommend some ventilation, just very little in the case of Aisan T's). Go with peat moss substrate or peat mixed with some sphagnum (a least 4"depth)and try to build something like a river rock enclosure within the mix (in one corner of the enclosure). The T's will then begin to burrow into the rocky area, they love it and it's very similar to what they use in the wild.

I think where most people go wrong with the Asians is level of the substrate, they need heaps of it, or else they will definately stress.

Cheers,
Steve
 

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 13, 2002
Messages
2,174
Re: Re: I can't believe my eyes!!!

Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Many congrats Ernie! The first thing I would strongly urge you to do is fill your water dish up to the brim with something like aquarium gravel. The Asians are reknowned for dumping their sacs in their water dishes, causing them to go off. Either that or remove the dish altogether for the incubation period.

Hope his helps,
Steve
Thanks everybody,
Everybody gets lucky sometime, I guess it was my turn.
I hope I can do this right and get them to hatch out. If they do hatch, we'll do the contest. And I'll give one to everyone who belongs to Arachnopets, that shows up in Carlsbad in June.

Steve,
What will mom drink if I remove the water dish? Do they go off water? Are Asians good moms, or do they eat the sac?
Should I leave it with her, and for how long? Will she eat, or go off feed? How long is the incubation period for H lividum?
Sorry for all the questions. I want to do everything in my power to help the process along.

Thanks,

Ernie

BTW, she has 8" of peatmoss and its 80% humidity.
 

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 30, 2002
Messages
1,776
Re: Re: Re: I can't believe my eyes!!!

Originally posted by MrT
Steve,
What will mom drink if I remove the water dish? Do they go off water? Are Asians good moms, or do they eat the sac?
Should I leave it with her, and for how long? Will she eat, or go off feed? How long is the incubation period for H lividum?
Sorry for all the questions. I want to do everything in my power to help the process along.

The incubation period should be around 6 to 8 weeks(someone more familiar with H. lividum may be able to come up with a more accurate time period).

They don't go off water as such, but they do have a nasty habit of dumping the sac in the water, making it go off. If you are worried about her still drinking (she would be fine without water for the incubation period anyway, you could just spray some on the sides of the enclosure every second day), you can just fill the dish with gravel, to stop the sac from being dunked.

Most of the Asian T's are very good parents, although some will eat or reject the sac (good reason to check the enclosure daily). I can tell you now that not too many have had success with H. lividum eggsacs, CB or otherwise. If she leaves the sac for longer then a day without going back to it, remove it. You will then have to look at incubating it yourself.

You can still feed her, but keep an eye on the prey, to make sure it doesn't remain in the enclosure for too long(you don't want anything else eating the sac).

Anything else?

Cheers,
Steve
 
Top