Humanely Euthanizing Spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Not contributing to methods of euthanization. Just wanted to point out that euthanasia is to kill something humanely

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Not contributing to methods of euthanization. Just wanted to point out that euthanasia is to kill something humanely
Oh true!

I don't think we can know what is a humane way for spiders. Their bodies function so differently than ours. All we can do is make sure it's quick/something we are pretty sure is fine like freezing. The latter because they aren't supposed to be able to feel temps/discomfort in uncomfortable temps.

Last edited:
Okay, put a spider in your house outside in the dead of winter and watch what happens. It is a slow and agonizing death. It's not humane at all. It's cruel. A needle through the heart and brain is instantaneous in it's effect. It's also less messy than smashing them and less smelly than burning them. Say what you want about it, but I am not only a philosopher, but also a scientist who does his research.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I say freezing because their bodies aren't like ours and from what I've read it shouldn't be too bad for them, but I do agree that it's not the best way.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Horses, cattle, goats, sheep, bears, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, dogs, cats, other small furries, insects, spiders, snakes, lizards and a few I'm forgetting. Guns, knives, machetes, blunt objects, what ever put's them down as fast as possible with as little trauma. Live long enough around animals and be willing to be fully responsible for them and your own actions, euthanasia is a part of your life. You do it, you regret having to do it, you did the best you could possibly do to make it sudden and painless, often under a very short time frame to alleviate undue suffering, and you move on, trying to retain your dignity and self respect while knowing relieving animals of their suffering is a part of being human.

And then I come across a thread on a forum about being humane to spiders. Reality check, folks. First and foremost, the only people who should be chiming in here are those who have never eaten meat, swatted at insects or used toxins that escape into the environment, just for a start. Stop kidding yourselves.

Come around 02:00 the haunts move in. The regrets.

Squeezing down on a buck. No problem. Missing one day, a doe gone 3 legged and fawn running off into the dark I deserve the haunting.
I feel good about chopping the head off a guinea pig. Savaged by a dog, had an axe right there. So long, kiddo. Better luck next time.
Smacking a cat upside the head with a heavy machete doesn't phase me. But making an assumption and not doing it the night before I'll never get over.
Putting the barrel between the eyes of a horse. So long old friend. Thanks for allowing me to be present at your last dance.
Casually knocking a spider off the table and having to mash it flat as it got hit too hard - poo happens. Gently sweeping a spider out the door to get it away from the cats only to find it the next morning in a death curl, being eaten by ants. That hurts.
Premeditating, aimed at a bear, no big deal. But there had to have been more measures I could have taken to keep it out of the camping area where it didn't come down to the rifle.
The cougar going after a horse. Bad situation, don't make it worse. Good shot. Putting another bullet in her kitten stomped by a horse, that still stings.
Deliberately ran over several animals. Can't rescue them all. The woman swerving to avoid a dog only to end up driving at speed through a school yard filled with kids is always in my mind.

And on it goes. Doing the job, get it done and done right. That's a part of life. The procrastinating, the assumptions, the wishful thinking, the bad judgement calls, the not putting out a little extra effort to avoid the crap coming down. Those are the 02:00 haunts.

Get real. Eating any animal usually = letting someone else do the killing for you. Buying anything in a store where animal depredation was involved in it's manufacture is outright callous. Do the utmost to act responsibly then get on with your life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Come around 02:00 the haunts move in. The regrets.

Squeezing down on a buck. No problem. Missing one day, a doe gone 3 legged and fawn running off into the dark I deserve the haunting.
I feel good about chopping the head off a guinea pig. Savaged by a dog, had an axe right there. So long, kiddo. Better luck next time.
Smacking a cat upside the head with a heavy machete doesn't phase me. But making an assumption and not doing it the night before I'll never get over.
Putting the barrel between the eyes of a horse. So long old friend. Thanks for allowing me to be present at your last dance.
Casually knocking a spider off the table and having to mash it flat as it got hit too hard - poo happens. Gently sweeping a spider out the door to get it away from the cats only to find it the next morning in a death curl, being eaten by ants. That hurts.
Premeditating, aimed at a bear, no big deal. But there had to have been more measures I could have taken to keep it out of the camping area where it didn't come down to the rifle.
The cougar going after a horse. Bad situation, don't make it worse. Good shot. Putting another bullet in her kitten stomped by a horse, that still stings.
Deliberately ran over several animals. Can't rescue them all. The woman swerving to avoid a dog only to end up driving at speed through a school yard filled with kids is always in my mind.

And on it goes. Doing the job, get it done and done right. That's a part of life. The procrastinating, the assumptions, the wishful thinking, the bad judgement calls, the not putting out a little extra effort to avoid the crap coming down. Those are the 02:00 haunts.

Get real. Eating any animal usually = letting someone else do the killing for you. Buying anything in a store where animal depredation was involved in it's manufacture is outright callous. Do the utmost to act responsibly then get on with your life.
Snark, you write like Cormac McCarthy.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Snark, you write like Cormac McCarthy.
Reality vs fiction

Snark, you write like Cormac McCarthy
Cornac McCarthy, IMHO borrowed a number of themes and concepts from other works and authors. Not plagiarizing per se, but what could be said adulterating them, distorting their messages to fit Carnac's sometimes gratuitous lurid (read sensationalist) takes on things. Ex: Blood Meridian - A Voyage to Arcturus. General theme concept, Kerouac. Nihilism - existentialism.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Joogvanhedel, that was @boina you were quoting, she's a member here too. :) I asked her when the topic came up on the Dutch forum.

@Geb Arachnia Whitney
'Spiders symbolize the necessary chaos and destruction for creation, preservation, order and harmony to take place.'
I think you and @Chris LXXIX will get along just marvelously. His theory about the Queen Baboon will make much sense to you!

boina

Lady of the mites
A needle through the heart and brain is instantaneous in it's effect.
That's two needles since the heart and the 'brain', i.e. main ganglion, are not at the same place. Which needle do you start with? And it's not instantaneous. A spider impaled through the heart and main ganglion can live for hours since neither of those organs have the same vital function as in mammals. They will die because eventually they'll bleed out. This is definitely not the method I'd use if I were going for a quick death. I think this is a really cruel way to kill a spider.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, I definitely didn't expect me saying that I killed an invasive species to help give the native ones a fighting chance would take off like this. Made for an interesting read though.

Out of curiosity @Geb Arachnia Whitney, what would you do with brown widows? They're obviously invasive and bad for the native widow populations, so control is a good thing.

Out of curiosity @Geb Arachnia Whitney, what would you do with brown widows? They're obviously invasive and bad for the native widow populations, so control is a good thing.
Where I live, they don't propagate. So I just have northern and southern widows, both native to Michigan. And I've never seen any spider live more than 2 minutes after being impaled, so until you try it yourself, and you accurately impale the heart and main ganglia cluster, do not throw your accusations towards me. And my beliefs are exclusively my own. I don't think anyone shares them, nor do I want them to be shared. I only want to share my thoughts on them without being berated or criticized.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Where I live, they don't propagate. So I just have northern and southern widows, both native to Michigan. And I've never seen any spider live more than 2 minutes after being impaled, so until you try it yourself, and you accurately impale the heart and main ganglia cluster, do not throw your accusations towards me. And my beliefs are exclusively my own. I don't think anyone shares them, nor do I want them to be shared. I only want to share my thoughts on them without being berated or criticized.
Ah, range wise that makes sense, so I can absolutely see where you're coming from. Unfortunately the little monsters can propagate down here, so I try to slow it down when I can. Seems to be making a difference along the walking path behind my apartment complex, but I don't doubt that a regular person would see the natives and off them unfortunately.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
And I've never seen any spider live more than 2 minutes after being impaled, so until you try it yourself, and you accurately impale the heart and main ganglia cluster, do not throw your accusations towards me.
A lot longer than anything I've stepped on has lived :rolleyes:

A lot longer than anything I've stepped on has lived :rolleyes:
I DON'T CARE. I do thing's my way, as does everyone else. Don't attack me for giving them a warriors death. I have my own beliefs, as do you, so just leave me be, and contribute a more productive comment next time, eh?

Ah, range wise that makes sense, so I can absolutely see where you're coming from. Unfortunately the little monsters can propagate down here, so I try to slow it down when I can. Seems to be making a difference along the walking path behind my apartment complex, but I don't doubt that a regular person would see the natives and off them unfortunately.
That's the real battle isn't it? Trying to get simpletons to appreciate something that has been ingrained for generations as a literal demon in the flesh.

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Don't attack me for giving them a warriors death.
How else are they to enter the sacred halls of Sto’Vo’Kor? :troll:

While they may be your beliefs, and you are free to believe what you wish, I disagree with said beliefs. To me, stabbing them with a needle and letting them bleed out is not a humane way for them to go.

In addition, I don’t see how stomping on one would not grant them this warriors death you speak of?

Furthermore, if they are so sacred, and according to your own sayings have the potential for memory and primitive emotions, then how is stabbing them any decent thing to do? To me it seems more about the ritual than the spiders well being.

I’m just trying to understand the logic or the reasoning here is all.

How else are they to enter the sacred halls of Sto’Vo’Kor? :troll:

While they may be your beliefs, and you are free to believe what you wish, I disagree with said beliefs. To me, stabbing them with a needle and letting them bleed out is not a humane way for them to go.

In addition, I don’t see how stomping on one would not grant them this warriors death you speak of?

Furthermore, if they are so sacred, and according to your own sayings have the potential for memory and primitive emotions, then how is stabbing them any decent thing to do? To me it seems more about the ritual than the spiders well being.

I’m just trying to understand the logic or the reasoning here is all.
Stomping them crushes their bodies and is very violent in action. I'm also a sociopath, so I cannot really comprehend your logic either. However, I have lived with and around them for over 20 years now, and I see everyone killing them by stomping on them, freezing them, burning them, I just wanted to formulate a method that was neither messy or inherently violent and filled with rage. When I impale my children, I impale myself on the inside. Which is why I rarely do it. They've always been there for me when nobody else was. If I am forced to kill them, let me do it in the most respectable and philosophically correct way possible.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I DON'T CARE. I do thing's my way, as does everyone else. Don't attack me for giving them a warriors death. I have my own beliefs, as do you, so just leave me be, and contribute a more productive comment next time, eh?

That's the real battle isn't it? Trying to get simpletons to appreciate something that has been ingrained for generations as a literal demon in the flesh.
So... Your beliefs need to be respected, but anyone else are just 'simpletons'?

So... Your beliefs need to be respected, but anyone else are just 'simpletons'?
Simpletons are those who only live in their world. I have already experimented with stomping, and the like. The simpletons I referred to are not members of Arachnoboards, I can assure you. And EVERYONE'S beliefs need to be respected, without a disregard for the beliefs of others. We can be civil, or we can be savages, the outcome will be decided when and if we choose neutrality above all else.

Status
Not open for further replies.