How to get rid off isopods

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
If the whole point of getting rid of the isopods is that there is a chance they may harm your T, and digging your T out means that there is a chance that you may harm your T, then to me that seems not like a solution to your problem- seems like you're back at square one of the issue, which is trying to avoid possible harm to your pet.

I would agree with Frogdaddy, dwarf whites are a species that's not as likely to harm your T than other ones you could've put in. I would also imagine if you recently added them there might not be that many, like the enclosure probably isn't loaded with then. What I would do is provide the isopods with food that has a source of protein until your T comes out - if they have a good source of protein right in front of them that they don't have to work for, they will be far less likely to try and munch on your T, which as stated this species already has a pretty low (but not zero) probability of that happening anyway
I wouldn't feed them. Dwarf whites are parthenogenic and the population will grow to match the available food source. Miss a few meal times and that enhanced population might start looking at your T as the next meal. If you only have one starter culture added (10-25 ct) just make sure they have enough leaf litter to survive and they shouldn't pose a threat to a larger 4"± tarantula. I've kept dwarf whites with my regalis, metallica, and P. pulcher for years with no issue and plan on having them in every adult T enclosure. By not supplemental feeding them and occasionally drying the enclosure down, the population stays just where I want it to be to clean up bolus and excrement.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Like crickets during a molt? I thought isopods end up being T food?
There are anecdotal reports of Isopods eating a T during a molt. The culprits are usually Porcellio sp. They are larger Isos easily three times or more the size of dwarf white isopods, Trichorhina tomentosa.
Smaller T's may prey on the larger species of Isopods, dwarf whites would only be a meal for 1/4" slings as they are only 2 or 3 mm at most.
Now, just for transparency, I've had both Porcellio scaber and Trichorhina tomentosa in a bioactive enclosure with an Avicularia avicularia for a year and a half with zero issues. Perhaps it's just that in this case the T doesn't spend any time on the substrate?
I myself have no doubt that an Isopod could injure a T while molting, but would it really happen?
I've never had any frog eggs eaten by isopods and that's about as easy a meal as it gets.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are anecdotal reports of Isopods eating a T during a molt. The culprits are usually Porcellio sp. They are larger Isos easily three times or more the size of dwarf white isopods, Trichorhina tomentosa.
Smaller T's may prey on the larger species of Isopods, dwarf whites would only be a meal for 1/4" slings as they are only 2 or 3 mm at most.
Now, just for transparency, I've had both Porcellio scaber and Trichorhina tomentosa in a bioactive enclosure with an Avicularia avicularia for a year and a half with zero issues. Perhaps it's just that in this case the T doesn't spend any time on the substrate?
I myself have no doubt that an Isopod could injure a T while molting, but would it really happen?
I've never had any frog eggs eaten by isopods and that's about as easy a meal as it gets.
Never dealt with these, thus never read about them. News to me! I suspect so for Avics, plus they need a reasonable about movement to come down, unless they are hungry than usual. I’ve noticed less movement can trigger the hunt

Eggs are a perfect snack.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I understand that crickets and zophoba have strong mandibles and they can be a threat to molting tarantulas.
However, there seems to be a common opinion that roaches are harmless to molting spiders, and roaches eat literally everything, same as isopods.

What's the difference between isopods and roaches that makes the formers dangerous? Their mouth parts shouldn't be bigger or stronger than roaches'.
There's different species of roaches. Which one are you referring to? I've never had dubia roaches harm any of my tarantulas nor would they as they eat fruit, vegetables even dry dog food.

One thing that needs to be mentioned here is you do not leave feeders in with your T's days on end. If it doesn't eat the feeder remove it on next day plain and simple.

darlingi

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't feed them. Dwarf whites are parthenogenic and the population will grow to match the available food source. Miss a few meal times and that enhanced population might start looking at your T as the next meal. If you only have one starter culture added (10-25 ct) just make sure they have enough leaf litter to survive and they shouldn't pose a threat to a larger 4"± tarantula. I've kept dwarf whites with my regalis, metallica, and P. pulcher for years with no issue and plan on having them in every adult T enclosure. By not supplemental feeding them and occasionally drying the enclosure down, the population stays just where I want it to be to clean up bolus and excrement.
Yeah, the population is pretty small I think. I’ve just added one starter culture.
So, drying down the enclosure does indeed work? With all the mixed answers, I’m debating with myself wether I want to keep the isopods. But would they all die off if kept in a completely dry enclosure for a few days (pretty sure they have gills)? And would these dry conditions pose a threat to a small, possibly molting t. albo?

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
There's different species of roaches. Which one are you referring to? I've never had dubia roaches harm any of my tarantulas nor would they as they eat fruit, vegetables even dry dog food.

One thing that needs to be mentioned here is you do not leave feeders in with your T's days on end. If it doesn't eat the feeder remove it on next day plain and simple.
My point was that thateven larger isopods are less threatening to tarantulas than any roach type, based on size and diet.
And dubias for example are commonly considered safe.

Had anyone really have his tarantula eaten by isopod? I feel like this is like when people freak out about mold.

Last edited:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
My point was that thateven larger isopods are less threatening to tarantulas than any roach type, based on size and diet.
And dubias for example are commonly considered safe.

Had anyone really have his tarantula eaten by isopod? I feel like this is like when people freak out about mold.

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
Well, that's pretty brutal. I wonder what makes them go frenzy mode.

CarlixTomix

Arachnopeon
The availability of easy protein (molting spider)
But springtails, eggs in general and specifically spring springtail eggs should also be easy protein, why dont they munch on springtail eggs and eventually kill them all in bioactive enclosures?

Your proof is there, I was wrong in that they are inoffensive. But I just dont know why dont they munch eggs then.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
But springtails, eggs in general and specifically spring springtail eggs should also be easy protein, why dont they munch on springtail eggs and eventually kill them all in bioactive enclosures?

Your proof is there, I was wrong in that they are inoffensive. But I just dont know why dont they munch eggs then.
I think it would be hard to notice any impact that isopods would have on springtail population due to how prolific they are.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So you would simply dig her out? Isn’t that pretty dangerous to the T as she might be molting?
Dwarf Whites are not a problem - Giant Orange and similar size Isopods are the ones that are a threat - as they are protein hunters.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Well, that's pretty brutal. I wonder what makes them go frenzy mode.
One thing you have to understand about isopods is if they mass reproduce. If there is not enough or any food for them to eat they will take advantage of a molting tarantula.

It's rare because most keepers that use isopods keep the population in check and fed.

However regardless of that there are isopods that will go after a T as mentioned.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Porcellio laevis eating a dehydrated fish... They LOVE protein... It's been about 4 hours that the fish has been in there so far. PXL_20210424_230902737.jpg PXL_20210424_230859036.jpg

tonyb24

Arachnopeon
How big is the T you kept those isopods with?