How to deal with the wife...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I usually buy critters at shows, and there's usually someone there selling cool silver reptile and bug jewlery. My wife loves that stuff, so if I pick her up a gift while I'm buying bugs, it goes over smoother! Fortunately, I was already into it when we met, so she knew what she was getting into. She also recognizes that tarantulas don't smell, make noise, or take up a lot of room (individually, anyway).

You could always threaten to get into venomous herps, which should make T's look better to her!

Wade

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all....

Hi ,,,,:)

I started out in a small scale some time back and I kinda thought,,if I say the word t a r a n t u l a , " I'm out of here by force", because my wife allways had this,,"OHHH a BIG spider" thing and my wife told me to my surprise that the T had to be a docile one. The choice was an A.Versicolor.

Well to make a long story short I got more T's. ( my thoughts were like ,,oh geeez , this is the last time I see day light ).

Suddenly,,my wife is a nurse I should say, I could see her sneak into my T room making sure they were oki doki, she could come back saying:" have you misted today?",I just looked at her..:cool:

When I got my sweetie , the 7' chaco,female, I thought,, okey now I'm in trouble,,to my surprise, my wife just like looked at me with these burning "nursing-eyes" and said: "she's a grown up,, do you know how take take care of her" ?
I thought ,,this must be: females taking sides.:)

NOW,,I got an emp scorp, like a freebie,,and that scorp is cute for her,,,,,, I like the scorp too, you know.
I was afraid that she would not like the scorp because she kinda shrugged her shoulders when she saw scorps on TV.

Guys,,,,, I don't understand women right now,,,,should I go to therapy?:D

Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ROFLMAO

If I had even the smallest bit of understanding about women, I wouldn't be divorced... with a bit more understanding, I probably never would have been married. Even my daughter threw me for a loop tonight when it took us an hour and a half to pick out a pair of shoes at the mall. We went looking for tennis shoes and walked out with knee high zip up leather boots... she's 6. So needless to say, I am absolutely no help at all. In fact, if you figure it out, let me know.

Botar

PS - My most humble apologies to the ladies out there reading this post... please note I admitted my ignorance and take it easy on me.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Okay. I have a problem of another sort. I get a shipment of five spiders today. A B.vagans, G.rosea and three more Usumbaras. I tried to sneak it past the "wife," but she caught me. First thing out of her mouth: "which ones are mine?" ;)

Seriously, though, I'm not complaining -- bragging, really.

Cheers,
Dave

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Okay. I have a problem of another sort. I get a shipment of five spiders today. A B.vagans, G.rosea and three more Usumbaras. I tried to sneak it past the "wife," but she caught me. First thing out of her mouth: "which ones are mine?" ;)
You make me sick!!!

Botar

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Botar
You make me sick!!!

Botar
I do my best. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. Nothing wrong with leather boots -- provided they're sturdy and steel capped.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lucky

Often times, my wife will actually _insist_ that I get a T that I'm wanting to get.

What can I say, I'm a lucky man.

Adrian

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm a little behind in reading and replying posts but here goes.

I know that it is different between convincing parents and convincing your spouse. But I have found that the most effective way to convincing my parents into accepting something or doing something for me is to back them up into a corner using logic. Logic is probably the most beautiful thing in the world.

First thing is you have to understand how your parents or your spouse think. Ask yourself if your spouse can explain logically why she/he doesn't want you to have T's in the house. Usually, the best they can come up with is they don't like them. Well, that's hardly logical. You can start making your offensive move from there. Just make sure you don't raise your voice at any time and that you stay away from emotion when speaking of the T's. Be absolutely sure that you yourself must be logical in your argument. Remember to keep in control of the conversation and, if you're as experienced as I am, you can even lead the conversation to the point that satisfies your needs. Remain calm at all time and you will have control of the situation. Also, don't push your luck too much!

Remember my allergic attack a week ago that I posted in the "watering hole" section? The first thing my parents blamed were my T's. As if the emergency room was not bad enough, I had to defend the T's against my parents. They were literally about to use bug spray to kill them all, all 22 of them! I was able to show them how illogical they were at blaming the T's for the bad reaction and kept the T's alive long enough for my allergist to personally confirmed that the T's were not the cause. Now that I think about it....phew...... That was a close one.

Unless your spouse thrives around emotion, I can't how logic not work on him/her.