How to Care for an Injured tarantula

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm late to the party but thought would mention what I said is basically what CB had mentioned here anyway.

I have experienced limbs being fully regenerated upon the next moult when specimen only fed Waxworms (more feedingd than usual). I think they contain much more fatty fluids that perhaps stored then help promote the regrowth in moult process.

I used to only feed crickets and roaches and hadnt noticed this before. That is why I think waxys and similar are good for regeneration. Although obviously all prey with have the nutrients to do so.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm late to the party but thought would mention what I said is basically what CB had mentioned here anyway.

I have experienced limbs being fully regenerated upon the next moult when specimen only fed Waxworms (more feedingd than usual). I think they contain much more fatty fluids that perhaps stored then help promote the regrowth in moult process.

I used to only feed crickets and roaches and hadnt noticed this before. That is why I think waxys and similar are good for regeneration. Although obviously all prey with have the nutrients to do so.
Maybe waxies are better because they have a low ratio of undigestable parts versus nutrients. A cricket has more parts that end up in a bolus than a waxworm, if both are of equal size.

BMQ

Arachnopeon

OK thanks for the tips, I'll definitely grab some wax worms today. I'm going to try any and everything. It survived the night and seems to have a bit more energy today. He dragged himself around a bit using his palps and two remaining legs. I'm probably going to need prey that is easy to handle and won't move too fast for my T, so waxworms should do the trick.

Last edited:

BMQ

Arachnopeon
That TE="Andrea82, post: 2588821, member: 112626"]Maybe waxies are better because they have a low ratio of undigestable parts versus nutrients. A cricket has more parts that end up in a bolus than a waxworm, if both are of equal size.[/QUOTE]
That sounds plausible to me. The few times I've fed my T's waxworms I don't think I found a bolus. I've also noticed the same with hornworms, which my big B. Smithi loves to chow down on. They seem to be fat and soft just like waxworms.

BMQ

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately the little guy passed away this morning. Thanks everyone for the help.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That is really sad, especially considering it is the second time you have to go through this. Have you had a response of the seller yet?

BMQ

Arachnopeon
That is really sad, especially considering it is the second time you have to go through this. Have you had a response of the seller yet?
Yea it really sucks. No not yet, there is always a 3+ day delay for responses from them for some reason. Lesson learned, I won't be buying from them again that's for sure.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Re: seller...a bitter lession to be sure.
But you should know that you did your best to save them. Don't beat yourself up.

BMQ

Arachnopeon
Re: seller...a bitter lession to be sure.
But you should know that you did your best to save them. Don't beat yourself up.
It was such a beautiful T which made it all the more worse. Yea I did, and at least I know what to do now if I ever have this problem again. Thanks again for the help.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
This is one of the only ts I have ever named...heeeeerrre's Johnny....Johnny 2 legs that is:

Its since molted and re gained all legs, but they were skinny. This past molt a few weeks ago it put on a lot of growth and is ready to be re-housed into a normal size enclosure. Its half the size of its siblings, but finally healthy for the first time in its life
That is an amazing recovery story. Kudos to you.

Sidewinder

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm new here and need some advice on an injured AZ blonde. We enjoyed watching him hunt the patio for a few nights then were saddened to find him one morning on the ground, missing most of his legs. He still has his fangs and palps, but is missing all 4 walking legs on the left side, and 1 leg from the middle of the right side. You could say he is "all right." This is my first T. We put him in a small critter keeper with a coco fiber mat. I have a small cholla arch to put in for a hide which I haven't done yet, but I don't want him to get hurt. He can only go forward so I don't think he could handle a burrow. He ate a small beetle so far. I tried a plastic bottle cap for a water dish but he kept flipping upside down and getting stuck that way. He tries to climb the sides and flips upside down. What kind of water dish can I give him? I put 3 drops of water on the substrate instead of a dish ,,in case he could drink that. He is so limited with only having legs on 1 side. I hope to have him survive to the next molt. Any ideas on a water dish, or how to keep him safe from himself, and alive? Many thanks for any help you can give. 20180715_212627.jpg