How to Care for an Injured tarantula

BMQ

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm new to the boards and am not sure where to post this question, I apologize in advance if its in the wrong place.

I got a 2 inch P. regalis sling today, and when I opened the package I found the little guy had arrived stuck in his molt. This is the second time in a row that this particular seller has sent me a tarantula that molted on its way to me so I was quite pissed as you can imagine. But anyway, the little guy had its fangs, head, pedipalps, abdomen, spinnerets, and 2 (the 3rd and 4th) of its right legs completely removed. There were 3 legs still almost completely stuck, the first 2 on its right side, and the 2nd one on its left side. The 1st leg on its left side was partially (about 1/2) stuck. The rest of its legs on its left side were cast off by the spider during transit. After very carefully cutting away the parts of the shed molt that were just hanging off of the spiders body, I left the spider in an ICU, and it cast off all but 2 of its legs, and there is about half of 1 left, on its left side, so in all my T has 2 1/2 legs. Its currently still in an ICU.

My question is how should I care for this little guy? Feeding, housing, drinking, etc.? Any and all tips would be great, I've never had a T that was this injured and couldn't actively hunt on its own. Thanks for any advice, and ill post pictures ASAP if I can. He/she seems active and spunky (though very tired of course from the stressful molt/travel), and I didn't see any hemolymph leaks.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
@cold blood has nursed amputee Ts through to a subsequent molt. I read someone recommend a strict diet of wax worms, which in their experience fully regenerated healthy limbs.

BMQ

Arachnopeon
thank you, ill check that out. ill also grab some waxworms tomorrow.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i dont think it really matters what prey items are used, as long as the spider is managing to get to them. it did just molt, however poorly, so i wouldnt bother trying feeding for at least 5 days.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
thank you, ill check that out. ill also grab some waxworms tomorrow.
Please don't take my word for it, it isn't my personal observation, but I believe it was @KezyGLA who wrote it (& he generally appears experienced in these matters). Wait for some folks to chime in, hopefully cold blood will appear like a benevolent tarantula sensei to give some guidance.

BMQ

Arachnopeon
i dont think it really matters what prey items are used, as long as the spider is managing to get to them. it did just molt, however poorly, so i wouldnt bother trying feeding for at least 5 days.
Ok I see, and yea I usually wait a week or so before feeding after molts, thanks so much for the advice.

BMQ

Arachnopeon
Please don't take my word for it, it isn't my personal observation, but I believe it was @KezyGLA who wrote it (& he generally appears experienced in these matters). Wait for some folks to chime in, hopefully cold blood will appear like a benevolent tarantula sensei to give some guidance.
ok I see. Yea hopefully master cold blood appears, I need all the help I can get!

BMQ

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm new to the boards and am not sure where to post this question, I apologize in advance if its in the wrong place.

I got a 2 inch P. regalis sling today, and when I opened the package I found the little guy had arrived stuck in his molt. This is the second time in a row that this particular seller has sent me a tarantula that molted on its way to me so I was quite pissed as you can imagine. But anyway, the little guy had its fangs, head, pedipalps, abdomen, spinnerets, and 2 (the 3rd and 4th) of its right legs completely removed. There were 3 legs still almost completely stuck, the first 2 on its right side, and the 2nd one on its left side. The 1st leg on its left side was partially (about 1/2) stuck. The rest of its legs on its left side were cast off by the spider during transit. After very carefully cutting away the parts of the shed molt that were just hanging off of the spiders body, I left the spider in an ICU, and it cast off all but 2 of its legs, and there is about half of 1 left, on its left side, so in all my T has 2 1/2 legs. Its currently still in an ICU.

My question is how should I care for this little guy? Feeding, housing, drinking, etc.? Any and all tips would be great, I've never had a T that was this injured and couldn't actively hunt on its own. Thanks for any advice, and ill post pictures ASAP if I can. He/she seems active and spunky (though very tired of course from the stressful molt/travel), and I didn't see any hemolymph leaks.
bump

cold blood

Staff member
@cold blood has nursed amputee Ts through to a subsequent molt. I read someone recommend a strict diet of wax worms, which in their experience fully regenerated healthy limbs.
Both were actually me. But the wax worm diet was for fangless tarantulas, as its fatty and contains no hard cuticle, making it easier for a fangless t to consume.

Being that its got 2 legs, I would just offer pre-killed prey, but waxies and mealies seem pretty easy to manipulate.

This is one of the only ts I have ever named...heeeeerrre's Johnny....Johnny 2 legs that is:

Its since molted and re gained all legs, but they were skinny. This past molt a few weeks ago it put on a lot of growth and is ready to be re-housed into a normal size enclosure. Its half the size of its siblings, but finally healthy for the first time in its life (this one got stuck molting from 1i to 2i). I had to manually remove the entire molt on the tiny avic and could only save 2 legs and the palps.

Exactly. Getting it to eat consistently is the prime directive here.

My suggestion, or what I did (although keep in mind, this depends on the mobility of the individual, my avic moved, but barely), was to house it in a condiment cup on damp sub...basically terrestrially....it wasn't climbing anyway, and this meant it was easily able to find and eat the mealworm and wax worm pieces I offered. Keep it warm and on damp substrate.

If it maintains a good appetite, that's a great sign, but it may not, so be prepared. But as long as it is eating a meal or two to get it to the next molt, that's good...in these cases, that cycle may take a really long time, so just be patient. I imagine a pokie would fare easier than a little avic avic both in feeding and in the time it will take to molt.

How big is the specimen? Is it 2i?

Last edited:

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
Both were actually me. But the wax worm diet was for fangless tarantulas, as its fatty and contains no hard cuticle, making it easier for a fangless t to consume.
Ah, sensei! ;) It took me all this time searching posts to find them, I only made notes in case something dreadful happens to my girls!

Managed to find the one by Kezy:
It looks like it may have moulted.

Sometimes they lose legs. It just happens sometimes and could be many different reasons.

I find the best food for slings (especially needing regeneration limbs) is prekilled waxworms or live small calci worms :)

I fed my mangled Ceratogyrus sanderi sling ( 3 legs and no palps) waxy and calci up until next premoult. After he moulted all limbs were back and at correct size and he was fighting fit ;)

BMQ

Arachnopeon

Being that its got 2 legs, I would just offer pre-killed prey, but waxies and mealies seem pretty easy to manipulate.

This is one of the only ts I have ever named...heeeeerrre's Johnny....Johnny 2 legs that is:

Its since molted and re gained all legs, but they were skinny. This past molt a few weeks ago it put on a lot of growth and is ready to be re-housed into a normal size enclosure. Its half the size of its siblings, but finally healthy for the first time in its life (this one got stuck molting from 1i to 2i). I had to manually remove the entire molt on the tiny avic and could only save 2 legs and the palps.

Exactly. Getting it to eat consistently is the prime directive here.

My suggestion, or what I did (although keep in mind, this depends on the mobility of the individual, my avic moved, but barely), was to house it in a condiment cup on damp sub...basically terrestrially....it wasn't climbing anyway, and this meand it was easily able to find and eat the mealworm and wax worm pieces I offered. Keep it warm and on damp substrate.

If it maintains a good appetite, that's a great sign, but it may not, so be prepared. But as long as it is eating a meal or two to get it to the next molt, that's good...in these cases, that cycle may take a really long time, so just be patient. I imagine a pokie would fare easier than a little avic avic both in feeding and in the time it will take to molt.

How big is the specimen? Is it 2i?
Thanks so much for replying, all that you've said was helpful. Should I keep it in the ICU or move it directly to a damp substrate asap?. It doesn't seem dehydrated, its abdomen looks good, its just very lethargic as to be expected. I have a small plastic container that's already set up with damp substrate so ill move it there if you think it wise to do so. Its about 2 inches or so. Ill post a pic when I figure out how (I'm a super newb to these boards lol).

Hopefully it will eat, ive got mealworms already, but ill try some waxworms (both pre-killed) as well probably in a week or so once it gets some rest and hardens up a bit more.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thanks so much for replying, all that you've said was helpful. Should I keep it in the ICU or move it directly to a damp substrate asap?. It doesn't seem dehydrated, its abdomen looks good, its just very lethargic as to be expected. I have a small plastic container that's already set up with damp substrate so ill move it there if you think it wise to do so. Its about 2 inches or so. Ill post a pic when I figure out how (I'm a super newb to these boards lol).

Hopefully it will eat, ive got mealworms already, but ill try some waxworms (both pre-killed) as well probably in a week or so once it gets some rest and hardens up a bit more.
Doesn't need ICU. Just keep it in its home. Put a small piece of cork bark, make sure your kid has a water dish with water in it and chopped up icky things near the beast. That way it'll feel safe with the cork hide and can reach her food and water.

cold blood

Staff member
Being that it juuust molted, I would leave it for the night and let it rest, but I wouldn't keep it in there too long.

BMQ

Arachnopeon
Being that it juuust molted, I would leave it for the night and let it rest, but I wouldn't keep it in there too long.
Yea I was thinking the same thing, thanks for the confirmation. You've been a big help. Ill move it tomorrow. I feel like this is going to be a long endeavor, hopefully it makes it.

BMQ

Arachnopeon
Doesn't need ICU. Just keep it in its home. Put a small piece of cork bark, make sure your kid has a water dish with water in it and chopped up icky things near the beast. That way it'll feel safe with the cork hide and can reach her food and water.
ok thanks, ill move it first thing tomorrow into a small container with water and substrate, etc. Thanks for the help. Ill update this as I go along, I feel like this is going to be a long endeavor lol but I'm up for the challenge.

cold blood

Staff member
Yea I was thinking the same thing, thanks for the confirmation. You've been a big help. Ill move it tomorrow. I feel like this is going to be a long endeavor, hopefully it makes it.
It should make it, I'd be pretty confident.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
ok thanks, ill move it first thing tomorrow into a small container with water and substrate, etc. Thanks for the help. Ill update this as I go along, I feel like this is going to be a long endeavor lol but I'm up for the challenge.
You can do this. I'm positive you'll do your best.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
And don't forget to give the seller a very angry message. Or a review if it is one on AB ;)

BMQ

Arachnopeon
And don't forget to give the seller a very angry message. Or a review if it is one on AB ;)
Yes I definitely sent them an email to end all emails. The craziest thing about it, is that this is the second time in a row that they have sent me a P. Regalis that was in premolt and molted while in the box on its way to me. This has happened twice, in a month. Both times the seller admitted that they had made a mistake, and couldn't tell that the T was in premolt, and both times the seller was only willing to give me store credit, and wants me to pay for shipping to send me another T. So far I've spent $80 and gotten a dead T, and the other T which is the poor guy that I'm nursing back to health now. I understand that refunding shipping costs is not something that most sellers do, but it's kind of ridiculous that I have to keep paying for someone else's mistakes. I've only had two transactions with them, and both have been nothing but headaches.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yes I definitely sent them an email to end all emails. The craziest thing about it, is that this is the second time in a row that they have sent me a P. Regalis that was in premolt and molted while in the box on its way to me. This has happened twice, in a month. Both times the seller admitted that they had made a mistake, and couldn't tell that the T was in premolt, and both times the seller was only willing to give me store credit, and wants me to pay for shipping to send me another T. So far I've spent $80 and gotten a dead T, and the other T which is the poor guy that I'm nursing back to health now. I understand that refunding shipping costs is not something that most sellers do, but it's kind of ridiculous that I have to keep paying for someone else's mistakes. The seller is JrsInverts. I've only had two transactions with them, and both have been nothing but headaches.
Careful, it is not allowed to name sellers here. Reviews go in the review section. ;)